Love Island SA lambasted after premiere (no prizes for guessing why)

dualmeister

Honorary Master
Love Island South Africa, the local adaptation to the hugely successful UK show, premiered on M-Net on Sunday, February 28. However, the pilot episode was met with much criticism by viewers.

Social media users were quick to point out a lack of racial diversity on the show. Conversation centred on critique, splashed with humour and clear in intent. “Love Island Orania”, referencing the white Afrikaner-supremacist state, began trending on Sunday night.

Source

Surprised? :ROFL:

dualmeister

Honorary Master
I see diversity. But, clearly the ratio should be reversed I'm guessing to please the "offended".

1614609042671.png

SlinkyMike

Executive Member
Well, it's not representative... HTF is that even a question? This country is over 80% PoC...

I have no dog in this fight so whatevs but this is frikking hilarious:

Screenshot 2021-03-01 at 16.57.23.png

:ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:

wbot

Expert Member
It's mnet. Their shows are far more diverse than similar shows on channels like msanzi magic or whatever where all contestants are 100% black. No one ever complains of the lack of diversity on those channels.

But those who complain and those who see racism in every little thing like this when there's none are also the ones who would never miss a moment of this quality tv

Milano

Honorary Master
You could start with a show that is representative but you would also need BEE to ensure it remains representative. If you ended up with the final few weeks featuring only two white contestants then it would no longer be representative. You need to ensure the show is also rigged so that it is uncompetitive and therefore remains representative. Such a complex web we weave..

rietrot

Honorary Master
Where any worthy or better, black contestant excluded?

I'm sure these guys go through plenty of interviews and stuff to be selected. They are probably the best.

Not that I'm sure you can even describe people doing these dating show nonsense as the "best."

HunterNW

Honorary Master
Well...... How inconsiderate. Last time i visted Kruger Park the Rhinos were humping hippos and the Elephants sucking on Giraffe tits.

rietrot

Honorary Master
Well...... How inconsiderate. Last time i visted Kruger Park the Rhinos were humping hippos and the Elephants sucking on Giraffe tits.
Doesn't really work as black people are still the same species.

You know like you get giraffes with slightly different spots, but they can still make a baby giraffes that's not infertile.

And I'm sure they didn't even consider that as nobody in the show will have a problem with interracial dating.

HunterNW

Honorary Master
Doesn't really work as black people are still the same species.

You know like you get giraffes with slightly different spots, but they can still make a baby giraffes that's not infertile.

And I'm sure they didn't even consider that as nobody in the show will have a problem with interracial dating.
Did you interview them ?