Love Island SA lambasted after premiere (no prizes for guessing why)

grok

Honorary Master
I have to admit it looks like the contestants, even those of non-white ethnicity, fell into a giant vat of skin-lightening cream.. :p

However, one cannot simply assume that this is a legit issue about race or representation until Malemasepush orders an EFF mob to attack the studio.

JohnStarr

Expert Member
Yoh everyone gets offended over some PoS show!!! Who cares about this show anyways.

SeRpEnT

Executive Member
BBC main page:

The weirdest part of the article is the following:

And this bit:
"and two are coloured - the official term for mixed-race people in the country."

Ouch. Not sure how coloureds in SA are feeling about being called mixed race. Not black enough for the media and many a politician.

blah99

Expert Member
It's just a matter of time before we are forced to have friends according to the demographics.
f6a2b476964aab1865e37da1c43bcb22.jpg

SeRpEnT

Executive Member
That's a different question. The assertion is that it is not and clearly it is not.

Would be interesting to see the viewership stats for the DSTV channel in question. I bet it's not 80:20 (Non white to white ratio) as for the general SA population...

SlinkyMike

Executive Member
Would be interesting to see the viewership stats for the DSTV channel in question. I bet it's not 80:20 (Non white to white ratio) as for the general SA population...
May be interesting but why?

Milano

Honorary Master
May be interesting but why?
Is it supposed to be representative of viewership, or representative of the national population? Or the area in which they conducted interviews? Can you quote the law.