Low-end smartphones compared – July 2011

Elimentals

Honorary Master
Personally I wont advise any phone with a 240×320 resolution when it comes to Android making the LG Optimus One the only option under R2500.

Reason: Most if any applications do not work on such a low screen resolution at all, and its an absolute nightmare to use the onscreen keyboard at that size.

igeorge

Re ^
Size of screen rather than resolution makes the onscreen keyboard an issue. Something you young'ns should also realise is that as you get older your eyes go - and that super hires 3" screen is wasted on you :)

I chose a Wildfire (not S) when it came out overseas because it offered good pricing in a small size - and the low res is perfect for me at 47... Still using it a year later, and have no desire to upgrade, Running Cyanogen, and all the apps I need have no issue at 320x240.

Cheers!

superskully

Expert Member
Check Cell C
Galaxy S for R110 pm on off peak 100 - no Pay in.
It works out a lot cheaper for a brilliant phone.

Shayd

Expert Member
Honestly you should not even consider a smartphone if you are not going to take a data package with it.

Considering the price of bolt on data bundles on top of an off peak or low end package you might as well get the RBM deal. Sure it's R250 and you may have been looking at a R150 smartphone deal but I promise you will be spending that difference on data anyhow.

Rather get the optimus black or the motorola defy with enough data, minutes and sms's to actually use the phone as it was intended.

Seriously if this is your first foray into android land... Don't forget you have to have a data bundle.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using MyBroadband Android App

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones
Honestly you should not even consider a smartphone if you are not going to take a data package with it.

Considering the price of bolt on data bundles on top of an off peak or low end package you might as well get the RBM deal. Sure it's R250 and you may have been looking at a R150 smartphone deal but I promise you will be spending that difference on data anyhow.

Rather get the optimus black or the motorola defy with enough data, minutes and sms's to actually use the phone as it was intended.

Seriously if this is your first foray into android land... Don't forget you have to have a data bundle.

I have wifi at work and uncapped wifi at home. No data package necessary.

theJonster

would recommend the Wildfire S, used the first Wildfire and it is a quality phone, the S is quicker and been tweaked. If this is your price range then hit that!

rbarryza

The Ideos is selling for R700 in Kenya ($100). Disgrace that our operators can't do the same. In the first 3 months it was sold in Kenya, it became the best selling smartphone in the market. For R700, everyone can get a smartphone. It will happen eventually though, Gartner predicts 80% smartphone adoption in SA by 2014.

moklet

Expert Member
The Ideos is selling for R700 in Kenya ($100). Disgrace that our operators can't do the same. In the first 3 months it was sold in Kenya, it became the best selling smartphone in the market. For R700, everyone can get a smartphone. It will happen eventually though, Gartner predicts 80% smartphone adoption in SA by 2014.
Because south african companies like to milk the SA public for all they can (not only cell companies)

superskully

Expert Member
I have wifi at work and uncapped wifi at home. No data package necessary.
+1
Not everybody needs data packages.
But for the times i do need it (maybe like 10 to 50mb at most), it would help not being charged R2/mb (atleast VC changed it now, i a, waiting for MTN).

kds

its by far the best option for that price, having a higher resolution, larger screen and a faster CPU than those other phones.
I had a look at a few of the other phones and the defy definitely seems to be a very good phone. The wildfire / s, samsung galaxy ace, lg optimus all seemed to have some lag when you use it according to the reviews, the defy seemed to run fine all the time. I have some doubts (and am not alone) about their social networking app (seems crap really), but other than that, it looks to be a good phone.

Really thinking of getting it.

Shayd

Expert Member
+1
Not everybody needs data packages.
But for the times i do need it (maybe like 10 to 50mb at most), it would help not being charged R2/mb (atleast VC changed it now, i a, waiting for MTN).
No they haven't, the new rates only apply to data contracts and to people who have monthly bundles attached to their contract sim's

Prepaid and top up adhoc bundles plus regular prices remain the same.

This was confirmed by jannie in the thread.

Shayd

Expert Member
Just a little confirmation for those that might be confused. This is straight from a jannie post.

The new pricing applies to:

- 24 month 'Postpaid' (i.e. normal contracts) or Top Up DATA contracts
- Month-to-month data bundles to a 24 month postpaid or Top Up voice contract
- Once-off data bundle to a postpaid 24 month data or voice contract

- Please note that 24 month data contract is available from MyMeg 250 to MyGig 20
- This pricing is not applicable to prepaid data bundles or Top Up data bundles to a Top Up 24 month data or voice contract.
- Prepaid and Top Up customers do not qualify for Night Owl.

superskully

Expert Member
No they haven't, the new rates only apply to data contracts and to people who have monthly bundles attached to their contract sim's

Prepaid and top up adhoc bundles plus regular prices remain the same.

This was confirmed by jannie in the thread.

My bad.
Though i will stick with my point that R2/mb is ridiculous.
Wish i had coverage (only MTN).

BayCityRoller

At the extreme low end of the scale is the Vodafone 858 Smart from Vodacom.
Vodacom first introduced the device in May 2011, saying that they envisage the device retailing for R999.
Though not far off from that mark, the device hasn’t been able to get below R1,000.
The 858 is regularly on sale for R999-00 at Game, including this weekend, starting from today 'til Sunday.

Samsung Galaxy Ace R3,500
The Galaxy Ace S5830 is for sale at Game this weekend, as well, for R2,899.

Btw, I don't work for them - just referring to their brochure for 21st - 24th July.

Jan

Drifting in the black
What about the Moto Defy?
its by far the best option for that price, having a higher resolution, larger screen and a faster CPU than those other phones.
I had a look at a few of the other phones and the defy definitely seems to be a very good phone.
We were impressed by the Motorola Defy when we reviewed it.

In honesty, I just ran out of space in the bottom table and favored newer (more recently released) devices over older ones.

As a point of interest, what cash price can you guys get the Defy for? It seems to be toward the higher end of the so-called "low end" spectrum from the retail pricing I got from the usual suspects.