Low Vitamin D Levels Could More Than DOUBLE Hospitalisation Chances

Milano

Honorary Master
Is it not a Northern Hemisphere thing. We get enough sunshine here in SA.
I recall when the topic of vitamin D3 was first raised in the early stages of the pandemic the researchers noted that people in the sun deprived regions of Scandinavia often had higher D3 levels than Mediterraneans as the Scandinavians relied on supplements while time directly under the sun in sun rich countries had declined due to skin cancer risks.

daveza

Honorary Master
Vitamin D - from the sun.

I get far too little sun - I am vitamin D deficient.

This study used 50,000 IU a DAY.

There have been no cases of vitamin D3 induced hypercalcemia or any adverse events attributable to vitamin D3 supplementation in any patient.

hashbrown99

Expert Member
Errm, you should probably read this:
I take 50 000 IU twice a week and that keeps my levels in the normal range. When my vitamin D levels were initially tested I was severely deficient. The prescribing doctor also regularly checks calcium levels and kidney function

Vitamin D from the sun is brilliant in theory but when both sides of your family have a strong history of skin cancer (which my dad died from) I don't go out in the sun without SPF
Vitamin D - from the sun.

I get far too little sun - I am vitamin D deficient.

This study used 50,000 IU a DAY.

lumeer

Expert Member
Depends of what you want to do. I would agree that most multivitamins are useless, but to use your example of Vitamin C. I take 2x 1000mg time release Vitamin C tablets a day. No way you can eat that much fruit on a daily bases. Same with the potassium citrate I take, about 4g a day. No way I can get that amount of either citrate or potassium via normal means. That is actually not even half way to the RDA of potassium per day.

Go for a blood test, was about R220 last I checked.
Isn't potassium dangerous for your heart, hence why it's not available as a shelf supplement? Potassium is what they use to make the heart stop in lethal injections.

Swa

Honorary Master
I make it from Citric acid and Potassium hydroxide. Yes, Caustic potash is nasty stuff to work with, just adding it to water makes it hot. So yeah, for those who want to try it, do some proper research first.
Was more thinking of a ready supply yes.

Google "Plenish K" - available behind the counter at your local pharmacy. Do your research first as Potassium overdose is dangerous.
That stuff is expensive and you don't get a lot. I just need to get a scale. You need well over 100g to really overdose.

You keep posting that but that study was specially for people with a D deficiency.
It doesn't really matter. A deficiency can be corrected in a few months so what happens for the rest of the year anyway? It takes over 150ng/ml to become toxic but our labs haven't caught up yet and will call everything over the normal range of 70-80ng/ml toxic.

Swa

Honorary Master
Isn't potassium dangerous for your heart, hence why it's not available as a shelf supplement? Potassium is what they use to make the heart stop in lethal injections.
The LD50 for potassium chloride is about 200g. Intravenously only a few grams can kill you.

BBSA

Honorary Master
Potassium is actually very important for the heart.

Reactions: Swa

Elon

What is that going to do to one's calcium levels? Calcification is surely likely to cause kidney stones as well as severe calcification of other biological systems.
Vitamin K2 will help prevent that, but going crazy with vitamin D is not recommended…

Elon

Potassium is actually very important for the heart.

And so is Sodium. Please tell me you get actual salt in your diet.

BBSA

Honorary Master
And so is Sodium. Please tell me you get actual salt in your diet.
Of course, anyone doubt the importance of salt should read :

Franna

Expert Member

Reactions: Swa

Mirai

Expert Member
Evidence for Vitamin D and covid-19 is mixed.

Article contains pro and contra pieces of research

see especially comment by Janek Kuziemski, M.D, Ph.D.

and recently there is this:

No association between Mendelian genetics associated with low vitamin D and worse COVID-19 outcomes. This type of thing corrects for many confounders eg fat people have generally lower vitamin D levels, vitamin D is lowered with inflammation in general and staying more indoors which is associated with greater risk of covid-19.

NICE UK has not recommended Vitamin D supplements for COVID-19 at present.

So mixed data.

surface

Honorary Master
The sun is not just good for vitamin d, a darker skin also helps to get a job and promotion in South Africa.
And victimhood (for the entire "race" nogal) continues. Sorry that you didn't get any job, my sympathies.