Lowest number of new COVID-19 cases in South Africa since November

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Lowest number of new COVID-19 cases in South Africa since November

Health Minister Dr Zweli Mkhize revealed that South Africa recorded 1,376 new COVID-19 cases over the last 24 hours – the lowest daily increase since 16 November 2020.

The total number of confirmed COVID-19 cases is 1,477,511, the total number of deaths is 46,473 and the total number of recoveries is 1,363,947.

ConfusedR

Expert Member
And then what happened, Jamie?

Ignorant people will now continue as if covid is over and everything is back to normal.
Infections will increase, again, because ignorant people will stop doing basic things, like wearing a mask and social distancing.
3rd wave will hit.
Government will enforce lockdown and people will complain again.

Death

After this weekends shenanigans all over the country but especially along the coast with anywhere water based being swamped with people flouting Social Distancing, Mask Wearing and Drinking in Public - expect that number to steadily start creeping up I rate.

ConfusedR

Expert Member
After this weekends shenanigans all over the country but especially along the coast with anywhere water based being swamped with people flouting Social Distancing, Mask Wearing and Drinking in Public - expect that number to steadily start creeping up I rate.
Exactly.
3rd wave of infections will hit.
Government will enforce lockdown and people will complain again.

MEG101

Don't be too confident on the number of infections going down. Winter is coming and then you will see a sharp rise in infections as people get infected all over again. And now that alcohol is open again, parties are happening again and social distancing and wearing masks, will fly out of the window and we will end up with the high infections we had winter time last year. SA cannot afford a hard lockdown like level 5, as more and more people loose their jobs and businesses are closing doors due to the current economic state. 3rd wave will hit us sooner than we expect.

|tera|

Master of Messengers
Don't be too confident on the number of infections going down. Winter is coming and then you will see a sharp rise in infections as people get infected all over again. And now that alcohol is open again, parties are happening again and social distancing and wearing masks, will fly out of the window and we will end up with the high infections we had winter time last year. SA cannot afford a hard lockdown like level 5, as more and more people loose their jobs and businesses are closing doors due to the current economic state. 3rd wave will hit us sooner than we expect.
Don't be a doomsday prophet. The pay sucks.

ConfusedR

Expert Member

It doesn't really matter about the season.
First wave in winter.....last year.
Second wave in summer......end of last year to beginning of this year.

Sharp rise of infections happen when government relaxes lockdown regulations and ignorant people then continue as if everything is back to normal and covid is over.
People should actually just carry on with basic regulations like wearing a mask and social distancing but they do not. The virus cannot move by itself. People are moving the virus.
Third wave will hit and government will enforce lockdown again and people will complain.
It is like watching a movie on repeat.

HideInLight

Expert Member
Compare UK London and South Africa. The only thing we had in common was rainy weather and a second variant. Also if you take a look at worldometer, there's been a massive drop all over the world. Even though daily deaths remain the same.

Last edited:

heartbroken

Expert Member
So lockdown and third wave in 3 months?
This isn't really news is it? We had the second/third whatever waves mapped out in our company financial planning since middle last year - granted, timing isn't perfect, we had the second wave planned in March not January. This thing is here to stay, if we're lucky we get out of it sometime 2022, but the ANC is so far behind with vaccinations, even that seems wishful.

krycor

Honorary Master
So when the next wave hits.. will the alcohol resellers again complain when gov clamps down because they still haven’t implemented their own system to limit impact on healthcare and give Government some measure of surety they not the cause?

Guess not.. I’m mean that would just be so wrong. Other countries do it but it’s wrong to monitor In a 3rd world country..

I’m gonna watch this disaster happen and laugh my arse off at the idiots. Valentine’s Day is Sunday.. will be interesting watching the trauma numbers in hospital for non-covid.

Lupus

Honorary Master
So when the next wave hits.. will the alcohol resellers again complain when gov clamps down because they still haven’t implemented their own system to limit impact on healthcare and give Government some measure of surety they not the cause?

Guess not.. I’m mean that would just be so wrong. Other countries do it but it’s wrong to monitor In a 3rd world country..

I’m gonna watch this disaster happen and laugh my arse off at the idiots. Valentine’s Day is Sunday.. will be interesting watching the trauma numbers in hospital for non-covid.
You are an odd individual you know that.

Happy Days

Expert Member
The only way for people to change their behaviour is for them to actually have Covid. It's been three weeks since positive testing and I'm still not fully recovered. After that hell, I'm more cautious than ever before; not that I didn't do the basics properly first-time around.

I can fully believe that funerals are super-spreader events as this is where I was exposed.