• You are not registered on MyBroadband, which means you miss out on great benefits. To join our community is very easy, and completely free. Register now.
  • New Two-Day Giveaway - Enter Here

lowest priced rain LTE-A packages from R499pm and once off router cost of R999!

tRoN

Expert Member
@Buzybuy Just ordered now. Had a question posted on another thread about connecting the B618 to a Mikrotik router in bridge mode.
What are the possibilities?

@Buzybuy Just ordered now. Had a question posted on another thread about connecting the B618 to a Mikrotik router in bridge mode.
What are the possibilities?

Thanks tRoN for your order and welcome to Buzybuy!

Yes it is possible if we are understanding you correct.
You want to use the B618 as basically just an internet modem and then have the Mikrotik router do the actual routing to the rest of your network?

If this is what you wish to achieve then yes it can be done.
You would connect your B618 router LAN port into your Mikrotik WAN port. You can then set your Mikrotik WAN port to connect via a dynamically assigned IP which the B618 will supply to your Mikrotik.

Hope that is the answer you were looking for?

Thank you.

tRoN

Expert Member
Thanks tRoN for your order and welcome to Buzybuy!

Yes it is possible if we are understanding you correct.
You want to use the B618 as basically just an internet modem and then have the Mikrotik router do the actual routing to the rest of your network?

If this is what you wish to achieve then yes it can be done.
You would connect your B618 router LAN port into your Mikrotik WAN port. You can then set your Mikrotik WAN port to connect via a dynamically assigned IP which the B618 will supply to your Mikrotik.

Hope that is the answer you were looking for?

Thank you.
Yes. The B618 must be the modem only.

Currently I have an ADSL modem in bridge mode attached to the Mikrotik Ethernet port and the Adsl username and password are entered in the Mikrotik router.

Also does the RAIN LTE have incoming ports open by default?

Yes. The B618 must be the modem only.

Currently I have an ADSL modem in bridge mode attached to the Mikrotik Ethernet port and the Adsl username and password are entered in the Mikrotik router.

Also does the RAIN LTE have incoming ports open by default?
Yes perfect you can use the B618 as just a modem then by going from the LAN port into the WAN port of your Mikrotik router.
You will have to set your Mikrotik WAN port to Dynamic IP and not PPPoE as you are doing with your ADSL.
The Mikrotik gets its WAN connection in PPPoE mode via an ADSL modem, however with the Rain B618 you will need to receive your internet via WAN as a Dynamic IP service provided to the WAN port from the B618.

The Rain network does not use PPPoE to connect, it's an always on connection so your Mikrotik can't dial a connection via PPPoE.

The Rain network has all ports open by default.
However if you are going to go LAN to WAN then you will need to remember that you are going to need to double NAT.

So for example:
Your B618 router is on the IP 192.168.8.1 and assigns DHCP ips 192.168.8.100 - 200.
Your Mikrotik router is on the IP 192.168.1.1 and assigns DHCP ips 192.168.1.100 - 200

If you want to port forward port 80 to IP 192.168.1.100 on your Mikrotik router network.
Then you will need to set a port forward on the B618 on port 80 to forward to the LAN port IP 192.168.8.100 it's supplying to the WAN of your Mikrotik router.
Then the Mikrotik router will need to forward port 80 on its WAN port from 192.168.8.100 to it's LAN port 192.168.1.100

So yes port forwarding is possible in your setup but will require double NAT.

Thank you.

walt chen

Yes perfect you can use the B618 as just a modem then by going from the LAN port into the WAN port of your Mikrotik router.
You will have to set your Mikrotik WAN port to Dynamic IP and not PPPoE as you are doing with your ADSL.
The Mikrotik gets its WAN connection in PPPoE mode via an ADSL modem, however with the Rain B618 you will need to receive your internet via WAN as a Dynamic IP service provided to the WAN port from the B618.

The Rain network does not use PPPoE to connect, it's an always on connection so your Mikrotik can't dial a connection via PPPoE.

The Rain network has all ports open by default.
However if you are going to go LAN to WAN then you will need to remember that you are going to need to double NAT.

So for example:
Your B618 router is on the IP 192.168.8.1 and assigns DHCP ips 192.168.8.100 - 200.
Your Mikrotik router is on the IP 192.168.1.1 and assigns DHCP ips 192.168.1.100 - 200

If you want to port forward port 80 to IP 192.168.1.100 on your Mikrotik router network.
Then you will need to set a port forward on the B618 on port 80 to forward to the LAN port IP 192.168.8.100 it's supplying to the WAN of your Mikrotik router.
Then the Mikrotik router will need to forward port 80 on its WAN port from 192.168.8.100 to it's LAN port 192.168.1.100

So yes port forwarding is possible in your setup but will require double NAT.

Thank you.
so static ip is suggested. DHCP will change the host IP in future. am I right?

So DHCP is turned off in the B618 and is given a static IP?
You can leave DHCP on as you will only have your router plugged into your Mikrotik device so the B618 will always assign the Mikrotik the first IP in its DHCP range as nothing else ever plugs into the B618.
So you know the IP coming from your B618 to your Mikrotik will always be the first IP in the range.

Alternatively you can turn DHCP off and set IP static yourself.

Venomous

Honorary Master
I think [-]afrihost[/-]Webafrica will issue you a sim (even if ur outside)

You can get signal outside.. it just won't be that good of an experience.. (you might have to buy a very very good external antenna and point it towards a tower inside the coverage zone)

most people here inside the zone get 10-25mbit even on average signal (2 or 3bars) - if they buy the pointing 11db antenna they boost that to 50-60mbit and 5bars. So if ur outside and maybe get 1bar. with the added antenna you might pull 2 or 3 bars and also get the 10mbit to 25mbit +- <but it's all subjective>

You need elevation (so something ontop of you roof and hopefully you can see the tower directly)
FTFY

walt chen

It does seem bizarre. And unnecessary.
remember it's said as fixed Lte service. and Rain do promised to provide mobile data service before end of the year. So I think it's about business type issue, it's illegal if not bonded.

Raaz1zn

Just wanna understand something. Why would my warranty be voided should I choose to insert an alternative Sim in the router, just does not make sense to me

Raaz1zn

Just wanna understand something. Why would my warranty be voided should I choose to insert an alternative Sim in the router, just does not make sense to me
Seeing as though no night time days is offered, I would insert a Telkom sim with 500gb night data loaded.

Wouldn't you?

DominionZA

Executive Member
Seeing as though no night time days is offered, I would insert a Telkom sim with 500gb night data loaded.

Wouldn't you?
I have gone this route, but on a different router. House goes via rain, download server via Telkom. Happy chappy.