LTE connection but i have LTE-A coverage

Rolly69

Hi everyone, so i recently got my Huawei B525s-65a LTE/LTE-A router with a telkom Data plan from Webafrica(TELKOM Package) which is month to month.
I asked Telkom will i be able to get LTE-A connection because i have coverage in my Area, and they said it will connect to LTE-A,even Webafrica sales reps told me it will connect to LTE-A.
Right now it connects to only LTE(4G) according to my router.

Is there anyway to connect to LTE-A? I am from Newcastle, KZN and pings too London is around 210-220.
With my Vodacom sim, (phone connected to computer) i get average ping to london of around 190-200, sometimes 184 on LTE.
I have full Signal and that's a + point for me, but i'm looking for LTE-A since i don't have Fibre yet.
Here is my Speedtest done

On The Network preferred Mode, There is only 1800mhz and 2300mhz band,2G, 3G, 4G. This speedtest was done on the 2300mhz Band.

RSRQ is -5dB
RSRP is -77dBm
RSSI is =-51dBm

Uplink Speed 56
Downlink Speed 294

Sorry i am pretty new to LTE and im looking for some advice in what i can change :)

Attachments

• Speed Test.png
    Speed Test.png
    346.5 KB · Views: 52

cavedog

Honorary Master
79Mbps is still pretty good. If you select 2300MHz it should connect to 4G+ if you have coverage. When the connection is idle it will likely only show 4G but once you do a speedtest it should show 4G+

That said you would need to use a Huawei band tool if you wish to change between 2300MHz 4G+ and 2100+1800MHz 4G+ Telkom runs 2 LTE-A networks currently. 2300MHz LTE-A will obviously be much faster due to it having more spectrum.

Also not sure if you are aware but you can switch apns between internet and unrestricted if you plan on playing games to move from a strict nat to Type 2 or Open. :)

Reactions: Yuu

The Door

Honorary Master
2300MHz LTE-A will obviously be much faster due to it having more spectrum.
Not necessarily. Where I am 2300 is way slower in the evening than 1800Mhz. I assume everyone uses it when they're home from work (residential area). During the day, 2300 is better mostly except for upload.

Rolly69

@cavedog so i can confirm, when doing a speedtest it does switch over to 4g+. Thanks for that.
Can you tell me a little more about the APN? I would love to learn more, as i'm a gamer :) how do i do this?

@marioat1 it was quick, 2days then i received my router, which remains webafrica's. This is Month to Month , so no doggy contracts. Which i like alot :) took about 54 hours to receive and activate my sim :) Really decent .

cavedog

Honorary Master
Not necessarily. Where I am 2300 is way slower in the evening than 1800Mhz. I assume everyone uses it when they're home from work (residential area). During the day, 2300 is better mostly except for upload.

You are right I guess I should have been more specific. 2300MHz is technically faster due to it having more spectrum but the speed the end user get will depend on tower congestion.

cavedog

Honorary Master
@cavedog so i can confirm, when doing a speedtest it does switch over to 4g+. Thanks for that.
Can you tell me a little more about the APN? I would love to learn more, as i'm a gamer :) how do i do this?

@marioat1 it was quick, 2days then i received my router, which remains webafrica's. This is Month to Month , so no doggy contracts. Which i like alot :) took about 54 hours to receive and activate my sim :) Really decent .

Just go to network settings profiles. The default one would probably be TelkomSa as profile name with internet set as the apn.

You can create a new profile and name it anything you like and type in the apn field unrestricted

That should open the nat.

biometrics

Honorary Master
Just go to network settings profiles. The default one would probably be TelkomSa as profile name with internet set as the apn.

You can create a new profile and name it anything you like and type in the apn field unrestricted

Really? None of that application form red tape of Vodacom?

The Door

Honorary Master

Yeah, I use this. Seriously easy to switch.

Dan C

Honorary Master
Interesting... I'll test that in a bit. What sites are you testing to? Local or international?
MyBB speedtest. I'm using my tablet however. But it does connect to 4G+

The Door

Honorary Master
MyBB speedtest. I'm using my tablet however. But it does connect to 4G+
Interesting - all results with ping 60 and higher are on the unrestricted APN, the rest are on the standard APN.
I learned something new.

1559592802001.png

Rolly69

Strange enough, i only get LTE-A when i download something, but when you play games it just uses LTE.

biometrics

Honorary Master
Quick test:

frequency apn ping down up
1800 internet 72 5 12
1800 FWB 74 4 12
1800 TelkomInternet 74 4 11
1800 unrestricted 33 2 13
2300 internet 66 3 4
2300 FWB 69 4 4
2300 TelkomInternet 18 36 4
2300 unrestricted 17 34 5

vs Rain on the same mast: (no 2600 available)

frequency apn ping down up
rain 17 6 17

Last edited:

Dan C

Honorary Master
Interesting - all results with ping 60 and higher are on the unrestricted APN, the rest are on the standard APN.
I learned something new.

View attachment 667347
WTF how can you travel so fast ? One minute you are less than 50 miles from Pretoria. Next minute over 600 miles

Last edited:

daneza

WTF how can you travel so fast ? One minute you are less than 50 miles from Pretoria. Next minute over 600 miles
He's got the Mo'distance teleportation add-on bundle. Available to cadres and the highly connected, invitation only.

Intriguing thread. Subbed. If you have full signal there's not much you can do about your ping. Telkom and Vodacom have different routing. These apn differences are interesting though.