PsiCoRe

What exactly are the radio specifications on the ipad 3 / iphone 4s? What modulation are they using? What is the coding scheme? All I can find is that it supports up to 72Mbps dual radio using the 700Mhz LTE band. I can't find detailed specs anywhere. If this is Dual cell with MIMO using WCDMA then it's 3G. It's just bonded 35.3 Mbps HSPA+. You can't strap two M3's together and call it a Ferrari. So far all performance tests I've seen indicates that this is indeed 3G.

SteveO

Expert Member
What exactly are the radio specifications on the ipad 3 / iphone 4s? What modulation are they using? What is the coding scheme? All I can find is that it supports up to 72Mbps dual radio using the 700Mhz LTE band. I can't find detailed specs anywhere. If this is Dual cell with MIMO using WCDMA then it's 3G. It's just bonded 35.3 Mbps HSPA+. You can't strap two M3's together and call it a Ferrari. So far all performance tests I've seen indicates that this is indeed 3G.

72 Mbps would be LTE , 10mhz MIMO. Same setup as the MTN 1800 LTE network.

MC- MIMO HS+ is 84mbps

PsiCoRe

I've never heard of 72 Mbps LTE. Sounds a lot like CAT 15 HSDPA and CAT 9 HSUPA (10Mhz DC-HSDPA + MIMO). Which effectively multiplexes two 5Mhz channels. Sounds a lot like bonded DSL (two lines connecting to an exchange much like two 5Mhz channels connecting to a Cell tower). In ADSL 2x 992.3's don't make a 992.5. Maybe I'm just pedantic but I think carrier's have seriously screwed up UMTS standards.

PsiCoRe

I've never heard of 72 Mbps LTE. Sounds a lot like CAT 15 HSDPA and CAT 9 HSUPA (10Mhz DC-HSDPA + MIMO). Which effectively multiplexes two 5Mhz channels. Sounds a lot like bonded DSL (two lines connecting to an exchange much like two 5Mhz channels connecting to a Cell tower). In ADSL 2x 992.3's don't make a 992.5. Maybe I'm just pedantic but I think carrier's have seriously screwed up UMTS standards.

A little bit of digging and found that this is 3GPP Release 11. You can find the details on 3gpp.org. The specification doesn't appear to have been signed off yet. Multi-Carrier HSDPA is bonding 3 or 4 channels - More of an evolution than a next generation. So LTE it is, 4G it is not.