M-web 1 MB line upgrade not quite what I expected or is it just me?

bigboy529

Expert Member
So like most 384 kb line owners I couldn't wait for the free Telkom line upgrade to 1 MB. It has been upgraded about 2 weeks ago and since then it has been kind of disappointing. About 2 or 3 times per day, the speed drops quite a lot and remains very slow for about a hour, with slow I mean even below what I was getting with my 384 line. Since realising this patern I've been doing speed tests about every 2 hours during the day from about 9 AM to round 11 PM. I'm not even yet completely sure what a 1 MB lines upload and download speeds must be, but so far when good I found both to be around 350 KBps. Sometimes during the day my download speed drops to 50 KBps or even less but yet my upload speed mostly stays around 300 and even sometimes goes over 400 KBps together with the super slow download speed.
I asked M-web a few times while this happend to check out my line and they just say everything looks fine on their side. This is very annoying and I go through a slow patch about 2 or 3 times each and every day. Is it just me or are any of you experiencing the same?

MattyW

On a 1 mbps line the max you should get is about 110 kBps, 350 kBps is completely impossible on a 1 mbps line unless you meant kbps which is way to slow.

Through I am not with MWEB {I use openweb} I have been experiencing similar problems but only with international bandwidth, on local I get a consistent 1.7 mbps {on a 2 mbps line} and on international I get about 0.3 mbps at first I was convinced it was my ISP but after going through three different accounts and them all eventually degrading to the same point I phoned telkom and they said that the upgrades {from 384 kbps to 1mbps} were seriously congesting certain exchanges {through I fail to see how that would only affect international traffic} and that they were upgrading certain lines here in Bloemfontein and that my speeds would eventually return to normal {through I am not sure I believe them}.

Anyway you should test with another ISP just to make sure it not your line.

Also test with another router.
Check your POTS filter.
Check the cable running from the POTS filter to the router.
Check your router stats.

Do all of the above before doing the last step as the guy I spoke to seemed very reluctant to do a port reset and would only proceed after I had assured him that I had tested with an alternate router, different ISP, checked my POTS filter exct.

Phone telkom and ask them to do a port reset.

Last edited:

pboy

Expert Member
i used to have a 1MB line, and used to do fine at 110 odd kBps...
now I have been upgraded to the 2Mb line... but get this: 60Kbps during the day is best I can get.
I called Telkom who could not resolve. call is logged.. bla bla bla..

better off with my old 1Mb line I say!
sigh!

MattyW

i used to have a 1MB line, and used to do fine at 110 odd kBps...
now I have been upgraded to the 2Mb line... but get this: 60Kbps during the day is best I can get.
I called Telkom who could not resolve. call is logged.. bla bla bla..

better off with my old 1Mb line I say!
sigh!
On international and local or just international?? I get full speed local any time of the day {not that there is much to do with local bandwidth} but my international is always at about 0.3 mbps...

bigboy529

Expert Member
I already tried 3 different routers and also asked telkom for a port reset but it just stays the same. The only thing I didn't check or change is the 10 m cable running from my dyning room where the phone port is, to 1 of my rooms where the router sits, this cable runs through the roof. Another factor I thought about is the copper cabling outside the house, if these are old then it will obviusly effect line quality/speed. Just don't know what we can do about this, doubt if telkom will replace copper outside the house if you ask them. Bye the way, which speed test do you guys use? which do you find to give best constant results?

fred1

On my telkom 1 meg line I was getting about 100kBps. Since changing to mweb uncapped I get about 32kBps from the morning until between 11pm and 12
Then line goes at about 100kBps. :(

Last edited:

MWEBHelp

MWEB Representative
Company Rep
So like most 384 kb line owners I couldn't wait for the free Telkom line upgrade to 1 MB. It has been upgraded about 2 weeks ago and since then it has been kind of disappointing. About 2 or 3 times per day, the speed drops quite a lot and remains very slow for about a hour, with slow I mean even below what I was getting with my 384 line. Since realising this patern I've been doing speed tests about every 2 hours during the day from about 9 AM to round 11 PM. I'm not even yet completely sure what a 1 MB lines upload and download speeds must be, but so far when good I found both to be around 350 KBps. Sometimes during the day my download speed drops to 50 KBps or even less but yet my upload speed mostly stays around 300 and even sometimes goes over 400 KBps together with the super slow download speed.
I asked M-web a few times while this happend to check out my line and they just say everything looks fine on their side. This is very annoying and I go through a slow patch about 2 or 3 times each and every day. Is it just me or are any of you experiencing the same?

Good Afternoon

please provide me your MWEB account details via direct message and I will do some testing on my side.

bigboy529

Expert Member
Since yesterday afternoon, Ive been getting much faster more constant speeds. As said earlyer I wasn't even completely sure what good 1 MB line speeds should look like and M-web guy on twitter also didn't want to give me a average what the speeds should look like. I'm now getting close to the average speed listed on the MY broadband speed test page. I'm now getting around 0.65 down and 0.35 up, it has been like this each time I checked today.

bigboy529

Expert Member
Sorry forgot to say, M-web must have changed something after my complaints, or Telkom somehow sorted out the exchange, let's hope my speed stays up.

GODZILLA99

I am having the same exact problem with poor international speeds during the daytime
maybe because because of the recent IPC upgrade but before the IPC problem I was
getting full stable speeds during the daytime on my 2mb adsl line with afrihost.