M-Web Uncapped ADSL - 384kbps - Very happy with service

Donovan

I think that M-Web (rightfully) gets a lot of flak on this forum with all the downtime we've been experiencing over the last few weeks. I just wanted to post some positive feedback in that I am actually very happy with M-Web.

I appreciate the way that they manage their network - I've been on iBurst and Sentech MyWireless as well as TelkomInternet. At least M-Web acknowledges that there is a problem. And as for shaped P2P - iBurst completely BLOCKED P2P traffic without warning; and Sentech was (to put it simply) internet "ANC government style" (ie, completely crap).

So for all the complaints, I'd say that M-Web has got it right. When I first signed up I was half expecting a SA style bait-and-switch but overlooked it because there was no contract. So far so good! I've saved over R 1300 on bandwidth since I switched.

Donovan

Oh - one thing that they should do is make their web site compatible with Safari on Mac OS X - I can't use the site on my Mac.

davemc

Executive Member
Donovan, do you play online games (overseas) on your M-Web connection, or do you buy from another ISP for online gaming ?

g1mme

Donovan, do you play online games (overseas) on your M-Web connection, or do you buy from another ISP for online gaming ?

I dunno about him but I use a webafrica pay as you go for my gaming. The mweb uncapped just doesnt seem to be stable enough, My ping is shooting all over the show so for consistency i have another account for online gaming. plus webafrica has the whole freezone thing going to which is free gaming bandwidth or something!

davemc

Executive Member
I dunno about him but I use a webafrica pay as you go for my gaming. The mweb uncapped just doesnt seem to be stable enough, My ping is shooting all over the show so for consistency i have another account for online gaming. plus webafrica has the whole freezone thing going to which is free gaming bandwidth or something!
Thanks g1mme, do you use your WebAfrica pay-as-you-go account for local or international online-gaming?

KromozIII

One thing about MWeb is that they came to the market with this product, and they have not changed the goal posts like other providers.
They said it was a shaped product with a contention ratio, and that is what it has remained. No sudden throtling after xGB of downloads. It has remained uncapped in the true sense of the word.
IMO throttling and uncapped in the same sentence should be against some advertising regulations somewhere.

I am not an online gamer, but I think the fact that the product is shapped, and has a contention ratio should straight away tell you coming in this may not be the best product for gaming.

Last edited:

LancelotSA

Banned
One thing about MWeb is that they came to the market with this product, and they have not changed the goal posts like other providers.
They said it was a shaped product with a contention ratio, and that is what it has remained. No sudden throtling after xGB of downloads. It has remained uncapped in the true sense of the word.
IMO throttling and uncapped in the same sentence should be against some advertising regulations somewhere.

I am not an online gamer, but I think the fact that the product is shapped, and has a contention ratio should straight away tell you coming in this may not be the best product for gaming.

But this is exactly what the complaints have been about! There is no transparency. People all of a sudden experience slower speeds with no definite answer on whether this is because of line maintenance and/or faults, throttling, shaping, contention or whatever else.

And why do you feel throttling and uncapped are mutually exclusive? If you are throttled, you are not capped. In an ideal world there will be no caps, no shaping and the service will be affordable but this is not an ideal world. The complaining is a means of sharing and allowing others to decide which services best meets their needs. You say your interest lies with gaming, I do not game at all.

Tanya35

They did actually. They cut out the gamers and extended after-hours to all hours.

Spooner

Don't know about your 384 line with mweb but mine is being shapped to the roof. get like 12kb/s on torrents that are very well seeded

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
But this is exactly what the complaints have been about! There is no transparency. People all of a sudden experience slower speeds.
They said from the start that if things get sketchy they'll shape downloads as heavily as needed to keep browsing & email alive. Plus the seacom issues didn't help.

copacetic

King of the Hippies
I just signed up about ten minutes ago, I have a torrent coming down at around 30. That's okay with me. :D

Donovan

I don't really play online games so latency is not really something I worry about. Skype also works quite well though :)

Phenie

Besides the frequent outages I also still have no other complaint with the shaped offering. It's 'cheap' (in SA perspective, at least), it gets me a tonne of data in a month and although latencies are not as good as other accounts, I do manage to play even to American servers with 360-400ms ping, which is generally 'playable'.

However if these constant outages don't stop, they're gonna be losing a tonne of customers. (I know, they already have....)

g1mme

Thanks g1mme, do you use your WebAfrica pay-as-you-go account for local or international online-gaming?

ummm well it is mainly local, but i have used it occasionally with some international games it was still much stabler than the mweb line.
To be honest with you i dont even know why i still have this uncapped line.
We got it coz my housemates girlfriend was overseas and they were skyping plenty, my old telkom 5 gig lasted a week.
now they broke up, so im thinking of switching to a webafrica account with 10 gig data.
I dont torrent much, just gaming and research, the occasional youtube.

davemc

Executive Member
ummm well it is mainly local, but i have used it occasionally with some international games it was still much stabler than the mweb line.
To be honest with you i dont even know why i still have this uncapped line.
We got it coz my housemates girlfriend was overseas and they were skyping plenty, my old telkom 5 gig lasted a week.
now they broke up, so im thinking of switching to a webafrica account with 10 gig data.
I dont torrent much, just gaming and research, the occasional youtube.
Thank you for your reply.
I use 7-10GB international browsing/work a month, and 4GB of bandwidth on World of Warcraft in Europe.

@ R100 / GB for World of Warcraft quality unshaped bandwidth, it's seriously become simply too expensive to play.
I was just poking my nose around, desperately looking to see if there is not perhaps some product out there that is affordable whilst still being playable.

KromozIII

But this is exactly what the complaints have been about! There is no transparency. People all of a sudden experience slower speeds with no definite answer on whether this is because of line maintenance and/or faults, throttling, shaping, contention or whatever else.

And why do you feel throttling and uncapped are mutually exclusive? If you are throttled, you are not capped. In an ideal world there will be no caps, no shaping and the service will be affordable but this is not an ideal world. The complaining is a means of sharing and allowing others to decide which services best meets their needs. You say your interest lies with gaming, I do not game at all.

Throttling at 3GB or 10GB is not on ... Fair use at 200GB maybe.

MWEB has been the most transparent of all the ISPs on this forum.

I do not game online. Read again!

The most I have used in one month is 24GB. I do work during the day, and the odd Rapidshare at night.
For my work I web, email and FTP during the day, and they all go full blast on MWEB.
If they throttled this account, it would be useless to me, as part of my job is uploading and downloading videos via FTP. Really do not want to do that at 128kbps.
Even program updates come down full blast during the day on HTTP.

To know that I will be paying a fixed amount every month for non throttled internet access, this MWEB package is perfect for a self employed person like me.
You can not really argue with people on what works for them. We all have different needs from our ISPs, so to do so would be pointless.

Last edited: