Mac Pro available in South Africa, stock very limited

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Seems 100% in line with the US$ pricing once you add VAT so doubt you can import it cheaper.

Unfortunate case of the Rand screwing us over.

Tharaxis

lol, R50k, there is so much of nope in there.
It really depends on what you mean by "nope". You have to understand that for normal computer users (and I include high-end enthusiasts), the Mac Pro is complete overkill and the price point reflects that. However, for the top end producers and designers out there, the Mac Pro makes perfect financial sense (since they can justify it given the specific things they use it for, such as production video editing and so on).

There have been plenty of articles on the subject, but the fact remains that it would be difficult, if not impossible, to build a custom machine *with the exact same hardware* at a price point less than what you get the Mac Pro for. You have to understand that the dual FirePro video cards that come in the Mac Pro are easily valued at 20-30K, yet under normal circumstances provide next to no gains in performance compared to high end enthusiast cards (and are generally a tech generation behind) in which a dual config would cost you maybe half that. What they do have is large amounts of compute power for doing things such as video compositing, playing 4K feeds and so on, which is exactly the market the machine targets.

You have to remember this is not a "desktop Mac" it's a professional desktop workstation and those unfortunately do come at a premium cost.

Doesn't mean I don't wish I could have one.

elvis_presley

Expert Member
You have to remember this is not a "desktop Mac" it's a professional desktop workstation and those unfortunately do come at a premium cost.
I think Apple don't care about the real pros any more - the Mac Pro is very much a prosumer device - the non-top-end GPUs actually have half the RAM of the equivalent PC card, and the kicker is it only comes with a 1 year warrantee (!!) - sorry man, professional products don't come with 1 year warrantee ... the funny thing is, if you buy EXACTLY the same parts off the shelf that the Mac Pro uses, they all come with 3 years (SSD, GPU, CPU, mobo with same chipset, etc).

JStrike

Honorary Master
I want!
But ever since I saw the product RED version, I now want that one. But it is a) Not available to purchase b) Out of my price range.

Tharaxis

I think Apple don't care about the real pros any more - the Mac Pro is very much a prosumer device - the non-top-end GPUs actually have half the RAM of the equivalent PC card, and the kicker is it only comes with a 1 year warrantee (!!) - sorry man, professional products don't come with 1 year warrantee ... the funny thing is, if you buy EXACTLY the same parts off the shelf that the Mac Pro uses, they all come with 3 years (SSD, GPU, CPU, mobo with same chipset, etc).
I'm not sure I agree with that assessment whatsoever. Nearly every component within the machine screams "top end workstation", from the high end Xeon CPU and ECC RAM to the PCI-E SSD and twin Workstation GPUs, everything of which is arguably best in class, and it subsequently comes with the appropriate price tag.

As for the warrantee, I can agree it's possibly a little bit limited, especially in the enterprise space, but has Apple ever offered more than 1 year on their products, especially the older Mac Pros (I'm honestly asking, I have no idea)? Keep in mind that Apple's modus operandi is to get you to take up an extended warrantee/AppleCare at additional cost - which most enterprises would probably happily take.

elvis_presley

Expert Member
I'm not sure I agree with that assessment whatsoever. Nearly every component within the machine screams "top end workstation", from the high end Xeon CPU and ECC RAM to the PCI-E SSD and twin Workstation GPUs, everything of which is arguably best in class, and it subsequently comes with the appropriate price tag.
I'm not quibbling over the specs - they're good specs, but they're exactly the same as any comparable machine; there's nothing special about them. It just leaves a REALLY bad taste in my mouth that they sell 3-year warrantee parts with 1-year warrantee. I remember a few years ago Sahara did that locally with Intel CPUs, and almost lost their dealership status when they were ratted out.

As for the warrantee, I can agree it's possibly a little bit limited, especially in the enterprise space, but has Apple ever offered more than 1 year on their products, especially the older Mac Pros (I'm honestly asking, I have no idea)? Keep in mind that Apple's modus operandi is to get you to take up an extended warrantee/AppleCare at additional cost - which most enterprises would probably happily take.
Not sure about the old ones - enterprises don't "happily" pay extra for anything - Having to pay extra for the warrantee on a "premium" device that everyone else gives you for free is bad any way you slice it. $250 to buy the 3 year warrantee Apple got with the parts they put in the box is just "apple tax".

Sure, the warrantee issue might seem like a small thing, but I'm extremely pedantic about warrantees, and it's one of the most important specs I look at when buying, be it a fridge, tumbledryer, HDD or GPU. 1 year warrantee just says to me "we don't have faith in our build quality".

Edit: by the way, Apple support is good for carry-in iStore, but compare it to proper enterprise support like Dell and it's pretty lame. Even with AppleCare, it's a 1-year phone, 3-year carry in warrantee. Pay $200 to Dell, and you get 4 year phone, 4 year next-day on-site support (they come to you). That's the "enterprise are happy to pay for" bit you were thinking of :) I firmly believe a lot of the reason Apple fans think Apple stuff is so awesome, is because they're genuinely unaware of what is actually out there.

Last edited:

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
On the flip side you hardly ever need said warranty for the life of the product...

ponder

Honorary Master
On the flip side you hardly ever need said warranty for the life of the product...
Well we will have to see how this new design works wrt ventilation, heat etc before we give it a stamp of approval.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
For sure. But you can be certain it's been stress tested to death and back. Apple failure rates are ridiculously low and therefore no need for warranty.

Dell and the like on the other hand have 3-5 year warranties because they need them and there would be an outrage without them.

If anything a longer warranty tells me you don't trust your own product.

Allin

Expert Member
One of my sub-contractors, who I pay per hour, bought herself some or other Mac. She tells me it is more than twice as fast as her old Windows notebook. Great for her. I told her I expect to see the number of hours she spend on her work to reduce significantly as a result of her buying this fancy thing.
Amazinly (NOT) she is not working any faster...

elvis_presley

Expert Member
Dell and the like on the other hand have 3-5 year warranties because they need them and there would be an outrage without them.
I don't think you've worked with any of the Dell/IBM server/workstation stuff - the build quality on those things is incredible. Apple's build quality is good, but a good Dell/IBM is in another class altogether (I'm not talking about a cheap desktop Dell for a secretary).

No. Just... no. That's why Seagate offers 1 year on its cheap crap drives, 3 years on its NAS/SME stuff and 5 years on its good stuff.

elvis_presley

Expert Member
One of my sub-contractors, who I pay per hour, bought herself some or other Mac. She tells me it is more than twice as fast as her old Windows notebook. Great for her. I told her I expect to see the number of hours she spend on her work to reduce significantly as a result of her buying this fancy thing.
Amazinly (NOT) she is not working any faster...
Hahah, hilarious... called her bluff :) Maybe she's spending half her time being a barista now?

Last edited:

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I don't think you've worked with any of the Dell/IBM server/workstation stuff - the build quality on those things is incredible. Apple's build quality is good, but a good Dell/IBM is in another class altogether (I'm not talking about a cheap desktop Dell for a secretary).

No. Just... no. That's why Seagate offers 1 year on its cheap crap drives, 3 years on its NAS/SME stuff and 5 years on its good stuff.
Actually I worked with many many hundreds of Dell laptops for a number of years as well as a few hundred Macs.

The failure rate of Macs was always 1/10 compared to Dells.

Granted this was pre-2010 but since then I've still had a number of Dells fail in my general awareness. Not always big things sure but failures none the less.

And I'm talking top end laptops not the bottom dollar Vostros and such.

I haven't dealt with IBM at all, you are right in that regard.

Hard drives are a different matter SLA's and such done into play with NAS drives etc.

Also Apple will cover your hard drive under it's own warranty if that should fail, not the overall 1-year warranty of the machine.

That being said I do agree with you that the 1-year warranty is a slap in the face but then at the same time I've had a few repairs done with regards to certain things free Of charge outside warranty in good faith.

Dell has always been excellent in the warranty coverage. My point was just that I needed the warranty on pretty much every other unit within the first three years.

Last edited:

genetic

Honorary Master
For sure. But you can be certain it's been stress tested to death and back. Apple failure rates are ridiculously low and therefore no need for warranty.

Eh?

We work with Dell video editing workstations daily, and they are very pricey too, but built unlike anything else.

Failure rate? Got proof?... :rolleyes:

genetic

Honorary Master
Actually I worked with many many hundreds of Dell laptops for a number of years as well as a few hundred Macs.
Dell laptops and Dell workstations are two VERY different categories.

MacBook Pro's and Mac Pro's are two VERY different categories.