Mac users are happier and more productive

redspark

Expert Member
It's not me saying it, it is IBM :cool: I must say that I agree because I am more happy when working on my Mac or any flavour of linux and BSD :thumbsup:

Solitude

Executive Member
Fitter, happier
More productive
Comfortable
Not drinking too much
Regular exercise at the gym, three days a week
Getting on better with your associate employee contemporaries
At ease
Eating well, no more microwave dinners and saturated fats
A patient, better driver
A safer car, baby smiling in back seat
Sleeping well, no bad dreams
No paranoia
Careful to all animals, never washing spiders down the plughole
Keep in contact with old friends, enjoy a drink now and then
Will frequently check credit at moral bank, hole in wall
Favours for favours, fond but not in love
Charity standing orders on sundays, ring-road supermarket
No killing moths or putting boiling water on the ants
Car wash, also on sundays
No longer afraid of the dark or midday shadows, nothing so ridiculously teenage and desperate
Nothing so childish
At a better pace, slower and more calculated
No chance of escape
Now self-employed
Concerned, but powerless
An empowered and informed member of societ, pragmatism not idealism
Will not cry in public
Less chance of illness
Tires that grip in the wet, shot of baby strapped in backseat
A good memory
Still cries at a good film
Still kisses with saliva
No longer empty and frantic
Like a cat
Tied to a stick
That's driven into
Frozen winter ****, the ability to laugh at weakness
Calm, fitter, healthier and more productive
A pig in a cage on antibiotics

CT_Biker

Expert Member
I dont really care what OS I use. macOS is easy to use and ideally I'd love a Macbook. Generally people who use anything other than windows are happier and more productive.

Lupus

Honorary Master
I'm wondering if it's more likely that they supply the macs to the more senior members of staff. Which generally are the ones who stick around and are generally more productive. See there's a lot of generally's sprinkled around.

cerebus

Honorary Master
*because on balance they are wealthier.

This is a classic correlation equals causation error.

Wet roads do not cause rain.
That's not really true. We get to choose a laptop. The only factor that would make me choose a Windows laptop is gaming now. But with the new 16" Pro out, I can't see anything on the Windows side that comes close to it.

SlinkyMike

Executive Member
That's not really true. We get to choose a laptop. The only factor that would make me choose a Windows laptop is gaming now. But with the new 16" Pro out, I can't see anything on the Windows side that comes close to it.
Eek! I posted without reading the article and missed that the analysis was based on work-provided machines. My bad.

sgs

Every time I need to work on a Mac at work, I want to throw the thing through a window. Only, it isn't heavy enough to break the thick glass, so it'll likely bounce back and hit me in the face. So I suffer along grumbling.

Poor people who have to develop Apple software for a living - the users might be the happiest, but the developers surely are the grumpiest...

SAguy

Expert Member
Been working on a mac now for about 6 years, don't think I'd ever go back to Windows for sure.
Would go back to Linux though.

Best thing about a Mac for is that it's close enough to Linux for command line tools to run, but commercial software is also released for the Mac - which is a problem for Linux.

Bobbin

Executive Member
For freelancers, go for it.
For business, don't fking bring it near me. I'm not supporting it.

itsme2

learn to use both. they are both great Win10 and OSX. I use both all the time and why people carry on about this is a mystery. Take the time to deeply learn your tools and stop whining and flogging this olde dead horse. Do some work

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
They say the 16" fixes the keyboard issue, that's quite tempting, now if only one could get it in black/dark grey...
And at R55k, I can't see the price justification tbh. I'd rather get the Surface Laptop 3, those look pretty good, and if I actually need performance I'd not be looking at this type of device, would be looking at getting something with a proper graphics card etc. and at that Macbook Pro price point there is a lot of other stuff I can use.

Been working on a mac now for about 6 years, don't think I'd ever go back to Windows for sure.
Would go back to Linux though.

Best thing about a Mac for is that it's close enough to Linux for command line tools to run, but commercial software is also released for the Mac - which is a problem for Linux.
Windows Subsystem for Linux is pretty cool, full kernel (WSL v2) sometime 2020H1, probably toward the end. Can already run most linux stuff, unless they need e.g. linux sockets, with WSLv1.

Issues with IBM's article:
- lack of cost/specs of current devices (if you're giving all the employees crap machines, then of course they will be happier with Macs). Compare apples to apples.
- not sure what the employees use at home (if they use Mac at home, then they'll probably be more comfortable with MacOS. I think the asking for software part highlights this).
- what are the current systems set up like? If there is a ton of legacy nonsense for Windows (or dumb group policies)(recently uni lecturer updated PC, they gave him a lab image for a laptop so no touchpad drivers and he can't install, so no gesture support...)
- Up until recently it seems all machines were on W7? So an OS that is missing quite a few QoL updates. Also, all those upgrading to W10, still using same machines without SSD?
- Those opting to swap over, are they not more likely to be the Mac savvy people or those who want to deal with the issues?

Without proper methodology given, these articles are worthless and stupid. Give your employee a Mac device if they ask for it and they bring in more profit than it costs, rather have them more productive. If they want a Windows device, let them.