MacBook Air, Samsung Series 9, ThinkPad X1 comparison

HBee

Expert Member
How does the Samsung use a CD for recovery if it has no optical drive ?

Jan

Drifting in the black
How does the Samsung use a CD for recovery if it has no optical drive ?

Precisely why I listed it, but I'm sure this'll all come out in the review of the device.

FrancTheTank

Expert Member
How about a comparison of the battery life in time?? Like playing a dvd or xvid on repeat, lets see how long the batteries last? (I know its not primary usage accurate, but its a useful comparison, as browsing, or writing a word doc etc is a tedious task)

Jan

Drifting in the black
How about a comparison of the battery life in time?? Like playing a dvd or xvid on repeat, lets see how long the batteries last? (I know its not primary usage accurate, but its a useful comparison, as browsing, or writing a word doc etc is a tedious task)

It is something we generally don't have time to do, but in this case we can't even if we wanted to as we've only received the Samsung to review and we only have it for a week.

Engadget has a comparison up which takes a look at battery life under constant video playback.

JStrike

Honorary Master
Wow, what an awful review. Not a single mention of any of the things that really matter
- Build quality
- Look and feel
- Keyboard quality
- Trackpad quality
- Battery life in real world usage
- etc

Instead it just provides a matrix of specs. Like how phones were compared in the 90's.

Simply awful review. An Arstechnica review is clearly wasn't

Jan

Drifting in the black
Simply awful review. An Arstechnica review is clearly wasn't

This isn't a review. It is a straight-forward comparison of the key specs of the notebooks.

As I said in the post just above yours we've only received a Samsung Series 9 review unit and a more comprehensive review of it will follow.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
At the time of writing the 13-inch MacBook Air was listed as out of stock at ZAStore
Because it's widely speculated/anticipated that it will be updated within a matter of weeks, if not days?

Last edited:

JStrike

Honorary Master
This isn't a review. It is a straight-forward comparison of the key specs of the notebooks.

As I said in the post just above yours we've only received a Samsung Series 9 review unit and a more comprehensive review of it will follow.

Ok, fair enough.
However, I disagree that those are key specs. People don't look at clockspeed, HDD size, etc anymore when comparing notebooks.
People go and feel a notebook, look at the case, the quality, how it feels in the hands, play with the keyboards, touchpads, how fast apps open (perceived speed), etc

I dont think I have looked at clock speed, drive size, etc in my last 4 purchases of notebooks or computers.

Jan

Drifting in the black
Because it's widely speculated/anticipated that it will be updated within a matter of weeks, if not days?

I didn't want to draw any conclusions, but I do find it incredibly interesting that ZAStore is out of stock and DigiCape is offering "overstock" specials on a bunch of Apple equipment.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I didn't want to draw any conclusions, but I do find it incredibly interesting that ZAStore is out of stock and DigiCape is offering "overstock" specials on a bunch of Apple equipment.
I'd be surprised if they didn't release OsX Lion to coincide with new Airs.

Rosaudio

First Officer
I'm dying to say the Macbook but I would go with the Series 9. The Lenovo is ugly :p

mith

Why wasn't the new Vaio Z compared.
I would go for the new Vaio Z.....without a doubt.

biometrics

Honorary Master
I'll hang on to my X300 a while longer, but the X1 would be next.

And I think Thinkpads are pretty!

falcon786

Honorary Master
The ThinkPad without a doubt.

I normally HATE apple and their isheep followers but in this company I would have to choose the MAC as its the only one thats has a touch of proper graphics processing,anything with intel hd graphics should be banned in this day and age,outdated rubbish that cant even run the most basic games available now....limits you big time for the odd game now and then.

EtienneK

Expert Member
I normally HATE apple and their isheep followers but in this company I would have to choose the MAC as its the only one thats has a touch of proper graphics processing,anything with intel hd graphics should be banned in this day and age,outdated rubbish that cant even run the most basic games available now....limits you big time for the odd game now and then.

Nah, these are for work. If you want to play games-on-the-go, get an iPad.