MacBook Air, Samsung Series 9, ThinkPad X1 comparison

Tacet

Expert Member
I'd go for the Lenovo - the built quality of the X range is normally impressive, and it doesn't bind me to OS X. Especially for work, there are quite a lot of applications that I need Windows for, so on anything I use for work an MS OS will always be an important factor.

JStrike

Honorary Master
I normally HATE apple and their isheep followers but in this company I would have to choose the MAC as its the only one thats has a touch of proper graphics processing,anything with intel hd graphics should be banned in this day and age,outdated rubbish that cant even run the most basic games available now....limits you big time for the odd game now and then.

Really? That's a massively strong emotion for a company and the people that like that companies products. Bizzare

falcon786

Honorary Master
Nah, these are for work. If you want to play games-on-the-go, get an iPad.

Nah ipad has games similar to my phone,touchscreen isnt the gaming i'm talking about(this article is about laptops so thats what i'm talking about,proper light laptop/pc gaming not by the way ipad stuff) and besides ipad doesn't support flash,when it does i'll consider it.

falcon786

Honorary Master
Really? That's a massively strong emotion for a company and the people that like that companies products. Bizzare

Not really steve jobs stubborn attitude to flash in web browsing because of some personal gripe he has with adobe makes me hate apple themselves,besides that single point I have to say I like their products ALOT as they are very well built...tell steve to leave his personal vandettas at home and then we can be sane about things apple.;)

As for the people that like apple well "like" is a mild word they are obsessed with their idevices to the point that they dont realize what they need anymore,I'm not the type that needs stand out from the crowd but i hate blind herding type of behavior and when you point out a simple flaw in an idevice the the isheep go all animal on you so yes i hate that kind of behaviour for what is just a device afterall.

But irrespective I guess my "HATE" isnt as bad as what your hate is lol if apple seriously just put on flash web browsing I will be very interested in their products and will at the very least change my attitude towards them..:)

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Not really steve jobs stubborn attitude to flash in web browsing because of some personal gripe he has with adobe makes me hate apple themselves,besides that single point I have to say I like their products ALOT as they are very well built...tell steve to leave his personal vandettas at home and then we can be sane about things apple.;)

As for the people that like apple well "like" is a mild word they are obsessed with their idevices to the point that they dont realize what they need anymore,I'm not the type that needs stand out from the crowd but i hate blind herding type of behavior and when you point out a simple flaw in an idevice the the isheep go all animal on you so yes i hate that kind of behaviour for what is just a device afterall.

But irrespective I guess my "HATE" isnt as bad as what your hate is lol if apple seriously just put on flash web browsing I will be very interested in their products and will at the very least change my attitude towards them..:)
It's only iOS that doesnt support Flash, and for good reason. All their PCs however fully support it.

JStrike

Honorary Master

Really? The lack of flash annoys you? I much prefer browsing the web on my iPad than on a computer because I don't have to deal with flash. Its always a bit of a nasty surprise when I browse the web on a computer/notebook and I suddenly get freeking folding pages and ants crawling on over an article I am trying to read

falcon786

Honorary Master
It's only iOS that doesnt support Flash, and for good reason. All their PCs however fully support it.

What reason is that?Maybe I'm mistaken then in beliveing it was steves personal thing....:confused:

I know that the macs support it,hence i said in this company the mac would be my choice,it inherits non of the iphone/ipad flaws,yet offers decent graphics compare to the competitors here.Just shows I'm unbiased in my hate towards apple and I can acknowledge when they have the better product(unlike some isheep here:erm:)

Really? The lack of flash annoys you? I much prefer browsing the web on my iPad than on a computer because I don't have to deal with flash. Its always a bit of a nasty surprise when I browse the web on a computer/notebook and I suddenly get freeking folding pages and ants crawling on over an article I am trying to read

Lol exactly what i meant when i said "they are obsessed with their idevices to the point that they dont realize what they need anymore" dude if you don't want flash etc then android GIVES YOU the choice unlike idrakonian policies such as itunes forcing you to go through it only or in this case no flash videos in websites even if you cry!

I'm not even going to go into the topic of which dodgy websites you browsing where they folding your pages to make doggy ears and ants are crawling into your pants:D

EtienneK

Expert Member

As an iPad owner I agree that not having Flash sux.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
You know I don't really miss it. Most sites that I come across seem to work well without it. Sites like MyBB could be a little more iOS friendly though. :eek:
What reason is that?Maybe I'm mistaken then in beliveing it was steves personal thing....:confused:
Considering how badly flash hammers the CPU on the full blown OS I can only imagine what effect it would have on the iPad or iPhone. If it worked, and it worked well, I'd love to see it implemented but that could be putting the ball more in Adobe's court than Apple's.

Last edited:

falcon786

Honorary Master

Good to see you are despite being an owner still not an isheep,I'm sure ou love your device but at the same time you can acknowledge its flaws/weak points.

falcon786

Honorary Master
You know I don't really miss it. Most sites that I come across seem to work well without it. Sites like MyBB could be a little more iOS friendly though. :eek:

LMAO typical isheep mentality,apple isnt the be all and end all just because it makes good looking devices...the rest of the web/world doesn't have to bend to accommodate what was just a badly designed web browser thats doesn't support the most popular web standard for videos/animation on the web today.

I'm still waiting for your good reason that jobs doesnt support flash?????

JStrike

Honorary Master
LMAO typical isheep mentality,apple isnt the be all and end all just because it makes good looking devices...the rest of the web/world doesn't have to bend to accommodate what was just a badly designed web browser thats doesn't support the most popular web standard for videos/animation on the web today.

Badly designed web-browser? Safari is widely acknowledged as one of the best browsers around, and Mobile Safari is acknowledged as the best. Google use the basis of it (The base is called Webkit) in their android phones.

To answer your question, Flash takes 3 hours off the battery life under normal browsing conditions.
Aside from that, Flash is also not designed for multitouch. Multitouch does not have states such as hover, which flash often relies upon

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator

Go back, read carefully. I explained it in the very post you referenced.

EDIT - I'll help you out.
[highlight]Considering how badly flash hammers the CPU on the full blown OS I can only imagine what effect it would have on the iPad or iPhone. If it worked, and it worked well, I'd love to see it implemented but that could be putting the ball more in Adobe's court than Apple's.[/highlight]

BTW - Safari and Chrome are cut from the same cloth - Webkit. You might be confusing Safari with MSIE - I really cant be sure.

Last edited:

falcon786

Honorary Master
Badly designed web-browser? Safari is widely acknowledged as one of the best browsers around, and Mobile Safari is acknowledged as the best. Google use the basis of it (The base is called Webkit) in their android phones.

To answer your question, Flash takes 3 hours off the battery life under normal browsing conditions.
Aside from that, Flash is also not designed for multitouch. Multitouch does not have states such as hover, which flash often relies upon

Go back, read carefully. I explained it in the very post you referenced.

EDIT - I'll help you out.

BTW - Safari and Chrome are cut from the same cloth - Webkit. You might be confusing Safari with MSIE - I really cant be sure.

Theres no point arguing with you two as you guys are obviously APPLE fanatics to even be defending their drakonian ways,enjoy living in your ignorant bliss with your iphones/ipads.There is bliss even in a delusional state of mind.

For me,I prefer not to be dictated to,if I had to ever get an iphone/ipad it would have to be jailbroken.And then i'll install flash if I feel like it,MY CHOICE not steve jobs.

JStrike

Honorary Master
Theres no point arguing with you two as you guys are obviously APPLE fanatics to even be defending their drakonian ways,enjoy living in your ignorant bliss with your iphones/ipads.There is bliss even in a delusional state of mind.

For me,I prefer not to be dictated to,if I had to ever get an iphone/ipad it would have to be jailbroken.And then i'll install flash if I feel like it,MY CHOICE not steve jobs.

I wouldn't call my self an Apple fanatic. I am a developer who uses mostly Microsoft products, I used to be an open source contributor, and I also have a couple of Apple products.

I just don't have a blind hatred for any companies, and if someone slates something based on misinformation, of course I will correct them.

You on the other hand, when presented with reason and fact, just brand Bwana and myself as Apple fanatics, rather than listening to the discussion.

Also, its rude to go around calling people iSheeple, and shows the same level of immaturity as people that use a dollar sign when abbreviating Microsoft

greg0205

Honorary Master
I wouldn't call my self an Apple fanatic. I am a developer who uses mostly Microsoft products, I used to be an open source contributor, and I also have a couple of Apple products.

I just don't have a blind hatred for any companies, and if someone slates something based on misinformation, of course I will correct them.

You on the other hand, when presented with reason and fact, just brand Bwana and myself as Apple fanatics, rather than listening to the discussion.

Also, its rude to go around calling people iSheeple, and shows the same level of immaturity as people that use a dollar sign when abbreviating Microsoft

^
This

SlightlyPeeved

Jeez, they could post an article on best apple pie recipes, and people would start arguing over the good/bad of Apple products. Who cares? That is not related to the article really.

If I were to complain about the article though, I would want to know what value it adds? Comparing the physical specs is good and all, but considering they are using different OS’s, it does not tell you in the end about which is faster at doing the tasks you set it, which battery lasts the longest, which screen looks the brightest/sharpest/whatever, which has the best build quality.

I know it was not intended as a review, but maybe that would be a better tack. In the end, I want to hear from someone who has played with all three, and has an opinion on which is best, for the money, and why.

Oh, and maybe it should compare same gen with gen. I mean use the latest of all the products. As someone pointed out, there is a new Air coming out this month, so compare that.

F1Maniac

From a purely aesthetic point of view the Samsung is an absolute stunner, I like black with textural finishes and this looks beautiful.

That being said these devices can surely only be a supplementary or "travel" pc, would be a bit restrictive if it was your only pc.