Madonna, Jay Z, Daft Punk co-own music streaming service

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
How many songs are in its catalog, what are the software interfaces like etc etc....

Makes no damn difference who owns the company, its all about what they offer.

Datura

Captain Faptastic
How many songs are in its catalog, what are the software interfaces like etc etc....

It looks okay. I will stick with Spotify.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master

That's why I love trials. So I can see for myself...

FHTheron

Started using it about a month or so ago. Thought is was a on the pricey side and while lossless is nice, it's not a decision maker for me. Then I saw that South Africa is priced half of the US/UK price and I figured I'd stick around. For me it's a good blend of features between Deezer and Simfy with a catalogue that has most of the content I had in Deezer.

So for the same price as Spotify Premium you can get Tidal here, without VPN or other trickery. For $5, more or less the same as Deezer and Simfy currently locally, you get pretty much the exact same thing.

On a side note, a lot of people are bashing this whole event because they see it as "rich artist making more money". Well, probably, but if they do this right and ensure that all artists on Tidal get far more money than on any other platform where labels suck everyone dry, then why is that important? Artists providing a way for other artists to make money - either very good or very bad, time will tell. I'm hoping for very good.

And to anyone bashing lossless audio saying "nobody can notice the difference" I simply put this question: Does your phone have a 577 ppi display? Just because my hearing is bad doesn't mean I want low quality. And just because my eyes are bad I don't want to watch only badly compressed video. Get the content to my eyes and ears in the best quality and I'll deal with the fact that I cannot perceive and enjoy the content on that level.

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill

It's actually a very interesting development. They're essentially trying to change how the music industry works in a large way. This is a whole new platform for artists to directly get involved with their audience. Cuts out labels big time.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
It's actually a very interesting development. They're essentially trying to change how the music industry works in a large way. This is a whole new platform for artists to directly get involved with their audience. Cuts out labels big time.

I'm not entirely sure about that tbh, at least not yet.

They still have to license the music from the labels, because the labels own the distribution rights, and I very much doubt a label will be happy to have an artist on board and only get SOME of the distribution rights... they will want all of them to maximise profits.

But at the end of the day, for the consumer, its all about how the content is accessed and what content is available.

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
I'm not entirely sure about that tbh, at least not yet.

They still have to license the music from the labels, because the labels own the distribution rights, and I very much doubt a label will be happy to have an artist on board and only get SOME of the distribution rights... they will want all of them to maximise profits.

But at the end of the day, for the consumer, its all about how the content is accessed and what content is available.

Sure, but many artists (like Deadmau5) own their own masters. I suspect that's the direction these folk will be heading.

kianm

Honorary Master
TOO many options, Spotify Deezer, Simfy, Rdio .......

Confusing win for us because they are all just not the same :p