Madonsela wants Zille to ‘withdraw and apologise’ for ‘black privilege’ tweet

koeks525

Expert Member
You missed the point completely like all the other twittards, it went straight over your head...
The point I was trying to make is what Helen is saying really isn't anything special, new or revolutionary. I just have an issue with how she is associating this with "Black Privilege"... I do not see the correlation, I really don't... other than her just wanting to be her usual messy self instead of enjoying her pension in peace.

ponder

Honorary Master
The point I was trying to make is what Helen is saying really isn't anything special, new or revolutionary. I just have an issue with how she is associating this with "Black Privilege"... I do not see the correlation, I really don't... other than her just wanting to be her usual messy self instead of enjoying her pension in peace.
You still don't get it.

Sollie

Expert Member
It's not reservation. Everyone can study and work in the field of their choice without fear of reprisals. The EE/AA only job adverts are a result of poorly managed processes thus, race against time to fill in positions.
Have you ever made sausage? Or boerewors? What you get is what you put in. What's put in is mandated and may not be fit for purpose, yet we're holding the party simply feeding the output responsible to not only survive and keep his clients/customers happy, but even legally responsible?

It's funny how we could find the term "crown jewel of BEE" linked to Eskom used 10/12 years ago all across the media and propagated by government. Today it's difficult to find any references to it. Some would probably even deny it ever existed.

Sollie

Expert Member
Anyone with half a brain would get that making a point like that would get lost.
Are you saying the bulk of South Africans are that stupid ("get lost", or just the ones it was intended for?

EADC

Expert Member
I'm adopting the attitude of people are stupid and their stupidity trumps all.

That movie Idiocracy has not been satire for a while now.
We are all stupid about certain things.

The_Techie

Resident Techie
While it's very short-sighted to claim that people don't enjoy certain privileges (being advantages in life, generally unearned by the individual enjoying them but rather determined by their circumstances and in some cases the luck of the draw), we need to acknowledge that it applies to everyone. Those without mental health issues? Congratulations, you have mental health privilege versus those who suffer from mental health issues. Perhaps you're what most of society would consider to be physically attractive, in which case congratulations, you are privileged versus those who are not. Heterosexual in a society that isn't necessarily all that comfortable with the LGBTQ+ community? Yup, you guessed it. You can peel back this onion of privilege to the point of absurdity, with way too many aspects to consider when it comes to "privilege", for it to be boiled down to a single aspect such as race.

EDIT: Also important to note that, when it comes to privilege, it's not that you either have it or you don't. You might not have a specific kind of privilege, but you certainly have some others. I'm also not sure what is to be gained by the whole privilege discussion, beyond a thought exercise (since some kinds of privilege may be generally helpful toward achieving success, it by no means guarantees it), but perhaps I'm just too stupid for these kinds of politics.

Last edited:

phaktza

Executive Member
Its hard to keep the white traits dormant. That genie just won't stay in the bottle.
Its hard to keep the black traits dormant. That genie just won't stay in the bottle.
Its hard to keep the colored traits dormant. That genie just won't stay in the bottle.
Its hard to keep the feels traits dormant. That genie just won't stay in the bottle.
Its hard to keep the dstv traits dormant. That genie just won't stay in the bottle.
Its hard to keep the massive traits dormant. That genie just won't stay in the bottle.

:unsure:
Pissed at 6.30pm? Shem.

MidnightWizard

Expert Member

ekske1

Executive Member
Its hard to keep the hurt-feelings-police dormant. That genie just won't stay in the bottle. :whistling: