Magic the Gathering TCG- cheapest place to buy new cards?

Praeses

Expert Member
Hi

Just wondering if there's any players around? I'm getting back into playing after a 7 year break or so. Where's the cheapest place to buy boosters nowadays?

Papa Smurf

Honorary Master
sheesh, no idea, I started collecting in 1997 for 3 or 4 years. Still have about 1000 cards at home somewhere :ROFL:
I know my brother is keen for my stash of old school cards as his 9yr old son is getting into MTG now.
Back in the day I bought my cards from Wizards in Cape Town

Praeses

Expert Member
sheesh, no idea, I started collecting in 1997 for 3 or 4 years. Still have about 1000 cards at home somewhere :ROFL:
I know my brother is keen for my stash of old school cards as his 9yr old son is getting into MTG now.
Back in the day I bought my cards from Wizards in Cape Town
My brother bought the introductory Portal deck back in 97/98 :p
I have my own collection at least, but quite a bit outdated by now.

Praeses

Expert Member
MTG isn't cheap :laugh:

Have a look at Nexus in Randburg, otherwise probably Raru
Yeah I know it isn't - especially not with the dip the Rand/Dollar did since 7 years ago :( I used to pay like R45 a booster.

PhreakBoy

Executive Member
Hi

Just wondering if there's any players around? I'm getting back into playing after a 7 year break or so. Where's the cheapest place to buy boosters nowadays?
Check out www.sadrobot.co.za for sealed product and singles.

EDIT: they also have events in the East Rand of Joburg.

Papa Smurf

Honorary Master
do a search of MTG Booster on bidorbuy.co.za there is plenty there, just stay away from Wantitall reseller, overpriced on everything.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Raru.co.za has been my go to.

I don't play competitively and therefore just buy precons and when they go on special.

Otherwise depending on your location if you want retail store then Battle Bunker is a good option.

Praeses

Expert Member
Raru.co.za has been my go to.

I don't play competitively and therefore just buy precons and when they go on special.

Otherwise depending on your location if you want retail store then Battle Bunker is a good option.
I also don't plan on playing competitively. Just weekends with a couple of friends to have some fun. :) Will check out BB, thanks.

Akasha

Executive Member
If you're looking for something cheaper than MTG but the same play style, I suggest Star Wars: Destiny.

It's loads of fun and a lot cheaper to get into than MTG

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I also don't plan on playing competitively. Just weekends with a couple of friends to have some fun. :) Will check out BB, thanks.
Maybe I also suggest the awesome digital Magic Arena.

I've been part of the private Beta for ages and it's now public for all and it's really the best digital version of Magic there has ever been.

Sadly only on PC now but that should change.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
If you're looking for something cheaper than MTG but the same play style, I suggest Star Wars: Destiny.

It's loads of fun and a lot cheaper to get into than MTG
Heh? How do you find that Star Wars: Destiny is cheaper?

The base decks are more expensive and the boosters have a lot less cards (sure there's a dice) for about the same money.

MTG is as cheap as you make it.....which in my opinion is not ever buying anything but pre-cons.