Main Power Supply into house, who’s responsible for maintenance?

jezzad

As per the title, main incoming electrical wires from the street pole are looking a little worse for ware.

IMG_9707.png

Is this my responsibility to keep in good condition or municipality? Have heard that your responsible for everything that crosses into your property. But this is directly connected to the electricity pole.

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
That should be municipal. It might be a bit of a grey area though because underground cables in your property are your responsibility and the municipality is responsible for everything up to your connection.
This one though is on a pole with no visible switching equipment so Im not sure how that would work, I would assume its municipal.

Lupus

Honorary Master
As per the title, main incoming electrical wires from the street pole are looking a little worse for ware.

View attachment 849739

Is this my responsibility to keep in good condition or municipality? Have heard that your responsible for everything that crosses into your property. But this is directly connected to the electricity pole.
That's muncipalities job, you pay them a decent fee to keep things like that working. Also doubt you're allowed to touch it. Contact them to come replace it.

jezzad

That's muncipalities job, you pay them a decent fee to keep things like that working. Also doubt you're allowed to touch it. Contact them to come replace it.
Yeah that was my thinking don't think just any electrician would be allowed to climb that.

smc

This is actually an area of some controversy. Where I live, the actual bylaw says two contradictory things - (a) that you're responsible for anything on your property, but (b) you may not interfere with any council installed device. Which would include the metering box that those wires feed into. So go figure. Practically, my experience is that the municipality will usually deal with stuff up the metering box.

Lupus

Honorary Master
This is actually an area of some controversy. Where I live, the actual bylaw says two contradictory things - (a) that you're responsible for anything on your property, but (b) you may not interfere with any council installed device. Which would include the metering box that those wires feed into. So go figure. Practically, my experience is that the municipality will usually deal with stuff up the metering box.
I'd hope that's not the case, I've got a servitude running through the one corner of my house :). I'm not going to unblock that.

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
Anything beyond the main switch is their responsibility because you cant turn off the power coming from that pole.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Yup, no real grey area here.

Up until the meter box is the municipalities baby. As for your cables looking worse for wear, don't expect them to do anything about that, when they fail then they will come and sort it out.

jezzad

Logged a ticket online with City Of Cape Town, two hours later a contractor was on site to do a inspection. Municipality is responsible for the cable all the way to my house and will replace it. They however cannot connect it up to my electrical system I will need to get an electrician out to do that.

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
Logged a ticket online with City Of Cape Town, two hours later a contractor was on site to do a inspection. Municipality is responsible for the cable all the way to my house and will replace it. They however cannot connect it up to my electrical system I will need to get an electrician out to do that.
CoCT FTW...

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
That should be municipal. It might be a bit of a grey area though because underground cables in your property are your responsibility and the municipality is responsible for everything up to your connection.
This one though is on a pole with no visible switching equipment so Im not sure how that would work, I would assume its municipal.
No

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Very impressive...

If I'd tried that here in the wonderful city of eThekwini.. it would have taken 6 months for a contractor to even be assigned (if they ever were) and then they'd look and go "but its still working" and leave.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
We are having all sorts of inexplicable power flicks and short outages in pta east again. 3 yesterday and two so far today.

wingnut771

Executive Member
Very impressive...

If I'd tried that here in the wonderful city of eThekwini.. it would have taken 6 months for a contractor to even be assigned (if they ever were) and then they'd look and go "but its still working" and leave.
no, they actually quite jacked. had a cable fault (short) which was tripping the breaker on the street pole. they responded same day, flipped breaker up which lasted about an hour. reported the fault again, next day they brought some hectic equipment and hooked it up at the my meter which sent high voltage pulses. you could hear the cable underground clicking/cracking. they eventually traced the fault to the road. next day another team came to dig up the road and repair the cable. so took 2 days, and this was over a weekend.

the only kuk part was having no power for 48 hours.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
no, they actually quite jacked. had a cable fault (short) which was tripping the breaker on the street pole. they responded same day, flipped breaker up which lasted about an hour. reported the fault again, next day they brought some hectic equipment and hooked it up at the my meter which sent high voltage pulses. you could hear the cable underground clicking/cracking. they eventually traced the fault to the road. next day another team came to dig up the road and repair the cable. so took 2 days, and this was over a weekend.

the only kuk part was having no power for 48 hours.
If it's actively broken they're jacked... If it's not then they're decidedly not jacked.

wingnut771

Executive Member
If it's actively broken they're jacked... If it's not then they're decidedly not jacked.
i'm not following, what is actively broken? jacked might have been a strong word, more like government efficiency, the wheels were turning. i was wondering how they were going to find the fault with the cable underground. this massive generator on a truck traced fault to under the driveway of the complex across the road. we weren't popular when they started digging. :laugh:

bratwurst

Expert Member
Yup, no real grey area here.

Up until the meter box is the municipalities baby. As for your cables looking worse for wear, don't expect them to do anything about that, when they fail then they will come and sort it out.
Maybe in JHB. In cape town they usually fix issues likes this quick quick. Had a similar issue at one of my rentals and they replaced cables within 3 days.