Maine man dies after being shot by own booby trap at home

Ninja'd

A Djinn

A man in Maine died on Thanksgiving after being shot by his own booby trap at home, authorities said.

Ronald Cyr, 65, called 911 early Thursday evening, telling operators that he had been shot, the Van Buren Police Department said on Facebook.

Police and medics went to the scene and gave Cyr medical assistance. “Regretfully, Mr. Cyr succumbed to the injuries he sustained from the gunshot,” authorities said.

Officers learned that the front door of Cyr’s home was “outfitted with a device designed to fire a handgun should anyone attempt to enter the door.”

They discovered “other unknown devices” and subsequently called Maine state police bomb squad.

The agencies investigated Cyr’s home into the early morning hours of 29 November; authorities determined that he was shot “as the result of the unintentional discharge of one of his homemade devices”.

Two people reached by the Guardian, who said they were family members, claimed their brother’s home had long been targeted by burglars and voiced frustration toward authorities.

SAguy

Expert Member
Illegal to do this in SA as well, wonder what the laws are in Maine.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
There was a time when I thought of setting up rudimentary booby traps in my yard.

yebocan

Executive Member
wonder how close to Cabot Cove , the incident took place

garp

Executive Member
Well at least he died with the satisfaction of knowing his device worked.

Stokstert

Executive Member
When younger I played a long time with the idea to mount a 12 gauge shotgun booby trap under my car seat with
a plethora of safety interlocks only known to me.

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
The only man who died from a booby to the face.

Guess he wasn't Maine enough.

ponder

Honorary Master
Illegal to do this in SA as well, wonder what the laws are in Maine.
It's illegal. The legal argument is that life is more valued than property and that the devices have no means of preventing accidental harm or distinguishing between targets.