Major development in Vodacom fraud and airtime theft investigation

The_Hobbit

Honorary Master
Please include a link to this discussion from the article?
---

Herein lies the rub:
"Commenting on former Vodacom managers working for Mondia Media, Vodacom said to the best of its knowledge, this is not the case.

However, a simple Google search shows many former Vodacom employees working for Mondia Media."
---
Google is better at answering questions about this issue than Vodacom.

My guess is Mondia Media staff work on commission or Mondia Media is made up of people whos earnings are directly based on sales.

Since this is a private firm, we all expect to see some jail time for fraud here. Waiting for the court cases instituted by Vodacom to show it is serious about its customers.

j4ck455

Executive Member
Commenting on former Vodacom managers working for Mondia Media, Vodacom said to the best of its knowledge, this is not the case.

However, a simple Google search shows many former Vodacom employees working for Mondia Media.
Vodacom caught telling blatant lies like Telkom used to do?

rpm

Admin
Staff member
Since this is a private firm, we all expect to see some jail time for fraud here. Waiting for the court cases instituted by Vodacom to show it is serious about its customers.
This is one of the big issues with this fraud - what is the absolutely worse thing that can happen if you are caught stealing millions from people?

The answer - You are forced to stop stealing. You do not even have to give back all the money you have stolen.

No wonder the theft continues unabated.

Mekon

Expert Member
Good this is all being exposed but Vodascum will probably get away with the millions that have been stolen. Maybe this will force things to change but probably not.
However in my opinion especially in this day and age there is no reason for WASP services or the crap they call content to exist.

rpm

Admin
Staff member
The elephant in the room- blocking all Wasp services in all sim cards and let the subscriber request a service or services if it(they) is(are) needed.
Exactly. Blocking WASP billing by default is an obvious solution. For many years the mobile operators have been unwilling to do this. It really does not look good for them.

The_Hobbit

Honorary Master
This is one of the big issues with this fraud - what is the absolutely worse thing that can happen if you are caught stealing millions from people?

The answer - You are forced to stop stealing. You do not even have to give back all the money you have stolen.

No wonder the theft continues unabated.
The standards are ridiculous. Crooks have definitely crossed the rubicon in this country. I see no logic for failing to lay criminal charges unless the people holding the keys are corrupt themselves.

Last edited:

The_Hobbit

Honorary Master
Exactly. Blocking WASP billing by default is an obvious solution. For many years the mobile operators have been unwilling to do this. It really does not look good for them.
Yeah, this is definitely a big deal.

donal

Thanks for this solid investigation and sound journalism which is helping give some small measure of power back to the consumers who are being stolen from. With VC on the back-foot here (and having lost the moral high-ground), hopefully some action which benefits those ripped off will follow.

marine1

Honorary Master
Huge respect to Mybb for reporting on this.
Well done guys.
Its about time this is brought to the attention of people who were ridiculed and told they were lying

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
Not going to hold my breath, but if something good do come from this...

Gnome

Executive Member
I'm curious if there are any people that actually legitimately use WASPs.

The way I see it, WASPs basically don't provide any value and it is a complicit scam that operators are taking part in

Veridion

It's time for class action lawsuits.
Private industry should try to be clean and honest they are not government.

Marc123

After years of denial, Vodacom finally gets forced into admitting wrongdoing. They'll give back the R34 that was deducted from those clients that moaned a lot.
Sorry, but I'm not impressed. Shut down the companies and ban the directors responsible from working in telecoms. Criminals...