Major outage at Afrihost due to problems at Gallo Manor DC

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
Afrihost hit with massive outage at data centre

A cooling system failure at MTN’s Gallo Manor data centre has caused an extended outage affecting Afrihost’s hosting services.

Customers are complaining that their email services and websites hosted through Afrihost have been offline for upwards of thirty hours.

Shocking! We all understand that technology will at some stage go down. But what is required from the service provider then is to provide meaningful information and feedback. Just tell the customer what is going on and provide a ETR. The biggest frustration is .................answers that say soon..... and updates will be on the website!
Since Wednesday night to now there is 2 posts saying "we are working on it" I do not believe in leaving your service provider when there is the odd issue. But be honest and communicate with your customer. It's Escom's job to leave us in the dark not Afrihost.

So cooling they say... So by this limited information, I assume they cant switch anything on due to the heating issues of servers...

Shocking! We all understand that technology will at some stage go down. But what is required from the service provider then is to provide meaningful information and feedback. Just tell the customer what is going on and provide a ETR. The biggest frustration is .................answers that say soon..... and updates will be on the website!
Since Wednesday night to now there is 2 posts saying "we are working on it" I do not believe in leaving your service provider when there is the odd issue. But be honest and communicate with your customer. It's Escom's job to leave us in the dark not Afrihost.

Hi,

Really sorry for the inconveneince. I realise that an apology doesn't fix the issue and the inconvience it's causing our clients.

I can assure you our server admin teams are doing everything possible to bring the remaining servers that are still down online. Unfortunately I don't have an ETA yet as each server has it's own challanges.

Hi,

Really sorry for the inconveneince. I realise that an apology doesn't fix the issue and the inconvience it's causing our clients.

I can assure you our server admin teams are doing everything possible to bring the remaining servers that are still down online. Unfortunately I don't have an ETA yet as each server has it's own challanges.
Good luck there - really not a nice situation to be in when its out of your control.

Definitely. It's not a good situation to be in. No one expects this to happen and to this extend so I totally understand why clients are furious. It's a massive challange to get the remaining servers online.
I think, if you guys are just more straight forward to the point and say in detail what the cause is, and whats being done to resolved it, people wouldn't be so upset then getting the same old "we are working on it" excuse...

Hi,

Noted, but the "E" stands for estimated not exact time. What in your expert opinion can we work on 2 hours 4 hours 8 hours. Estimated we also have customers and we need to talk to our customers.

I think, if you guys are just more straight forward to the point and say in detail what the cause is, and whats being done to resolved it, people wouldn't be so upset then getting the same old "we are working on it" excuse...

100% right. Not all clients know the details surounding hosting and what it involves.

There was a cooling issue in Colo2 at Gallo Manor. This caused our servers to shut down due to overheating. We managed to bring back the majority of the servers that were affected but there are still a number of these servers that have issues that require Server Admin to investigate why these servers aren't starting up and what is actually wrong with them.

It's taking time to go through all the servers to see what each servers issue is and what is required to bring it back online.

Although more expensive, does it make sense to host something in more than one location? A mirrored server in a different location.

Back