Major worries over South Africa's COVID-19 contact tracing solution

Hanno Labuschagne

Expert Member
Staff member
Major worries over South Africa's COVID-19 contact tracing solution

The National Department of Health's use of the COVIDConnect platform as a contact tracing solution is a misguided attempt to make its previously failed contact tracing more palatable.

This is according to Associate Professor Co-Pierre Georg of the University of Cape Town, a fintech expert who is part of the team behind the development of the Covi-ID QR-based contact tracing solution.

Health Minister Zweli Mkhize recently announced the launch of COVIDConnect - the government's contact tracing solution which runs on platforms like WhatsApp, SMS, and USSD, and employs a chatbot for its user interface.

Swa

Honorary Master
Contact tracing was a necessity they couldn't get right. Now it's a luxury we cannot afford.

markings

Expert Member
An offer for a free contact tracing app is turned down in favor of some ludicrous app which requires one to declare contacts, as if I would know all of them.
I think we should engage in some contract tracing to see who makes money out of this.

Also they were told it wouldn't work but in true government fashion they will double their efforts to have a system where anyone with brains can see that it is flawed in its concept.

Reactions: Swa

Zukat

Expert Member
I want to apologize to all the people whose cellphone numbers I randomly leave in the "honesty" book at the entrance to various public places, if you ever get contacted dont hate the player, blame the system.