Majority of jobs in banking sector risk being made redundant by AI

What about someone "higher". My niece wants to study actuary but I have serious reservations on it. Banging on how they will use stats to determine life expectancy and ****. To me, those types of calculations are dirt simple to input into AI.

Anything that is stats or numbers based I would say is at risk for sure. That's core strength for AI.

therein lies the problem, many customer facing people in banking are basically glorified chat bots, the level of service they provide is not exactly hard to replicate with software

I imagine AI would struggle to solve a more nuanced problem, about as much as a customer would struggle to find that one person at the bank that knows how to solve it
The issue isn't the drones. They're doing precisely what they're instructed to.

It's the cruddy COO organisation which guts the contact centre capability and makes it near useless to save on cost. The complaints regulation in this country is utterly toothless and all major corporates take full advantage.

Anything that is stats or numbers based I would say is at risk for sure. That's core strength for AI.
Yeah that was my argument as well. But they had a field day at E&Y and fell in love with what they said about it.

How is it affecting banking and the home-affairs hasn't been replaced by AI yet? I mean if there was ever an easier target... that needed it the most..

How is it affecting banking and the home-affairs hasn't been replaced by AI yet? I mean if there was ever an easier target... that needed it the most..

Because the ANC still think a single driving license printer for the entire country is acceptable. So.. AI thinks are not going to happen.

If it benefits the banks or any other company and its investors, go for it.

Visit a Home Affairs branch and you will see what is happening there because of the fact that they are still using humans.

I'm just quietly hoping that the electrical demands of AI starts killing off the renewables narrative.

"Goldstuck said it would never replace the human touch that many banking clients will still require."

...not exactly the highest of benchmarks quite frankly.

I'm just quietly hoping that the electrical demands of AI starts killing off the renewables narrative.
I think it makes the case stronger... It will need all the energy it can get and as close to the source as possible. The dramatic rise in property prices around nuclear plants in the US is indicative of this.

What about someone "higher". My niece wants to study actuary but I have serious reservations on it. Banging on how they will use stats to determine life expectancy and ****. To me, those types of calculations are dirt simple to input into AI.
You will find that actuaries have already been using machine learning models for many decades. AI building better AI is probably still far off.

Visit a Home Affairs branch and you will see what is happening there because of the fact that they are still using humans.
I'm not entirely convinced the barely breathing crash test dummies behind most of their counters are actually "humans" ...

Arthur Goldstuck says
Ha. ok, I think you can safely ignore.

I fell prey to that guy's BS once in the early 90s. (edit: maybe mid 90s) Just when the internet started to gain traction with 9600 baud modems.

He published a paperback 'South African guide to the internet' or something along those lines, can't remember the title. I spent my month's pocket money on that book, expecting some great insights, technical details, and maybe some practical advise. (in the days where you had to spend a day setting up your modem and dip switches to connect)

A copy pasted, random mess of incoherent ramblings. The prototype of todays self published 'authors' publishing these little mini guides on kindles, hoping for suckers. I've been struggling to take this self proclaimed expert seriously since then.

Last edited:
Back