Majority of Russians Hostile to Gays

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
A strong majority of Russians are hostile to homosexuals while only four percent say they take a positive view, a public opinion poll showed Wednesday.

The poll on attitudes to gay people by Levada independent polling agency comes as Russia's parliament is considering a bill banning "propaganda of homosexuality" among minors, which critics said could be used to ban any Gay Pride events.

The survey showed that 27 percent of Russians view homosexuals with "disgust or fear," while 23 said they were "irritated" and 18 percent said they were "wary".

Only four percent said they had positive feelings towards gay people, while 23 percent said they had "no particular feelings" towards them.

The poll also indicated strong backing for a ban on Gay Pride events, with 62 percent saying they were "definitely opposed".

The Russian lower house in January gave initial backing to a bill banning homosexual propaganda among minors. The measure, which has been criticised by rights groups and Western government, is already being implemented in several cities including Russia's second largest, Saint Petersburg.

The second key reading of the bill is expected in May.

The Levada poll was carried out last month among 1,800 people in 45 regions of the country.

While homosexuality was decriminalised in Russia in 1993 and removed from the list of psychiatric disorders in 1999, the poll shows that 34 percent of Russians still view homosexuality as as "an illness that should be treated."

The poll found that 35 percent of Russians think gay people "definitely do not" have the right to consensual relationships.

Russians also rejected the concept of legislation to allow gay couples to marry or to have the right to adopt children.

Sixty-two percent said they were "firmly opposed" to gay marriage, and the same number said they "absolutely" did not agree that gay couples should have the right to adopt.

Source : Sapa-AFP /sdv
Date : 13 Mar 2013 14:12

w1z4rd

Karmic Sangoma
Backwards culture is backwards. Not only are many very homophobic many are also racist.

They havent even got democracy right. They still have a lot to progress on the civil rights front. The leadership in Russia needs to become more progressive before their culture can head that way.

ant_man

Expert Member
And the strangest thing is that Their is a huge Gay Community in Russia.

porchrat

Honorary Master
Yea equal rights for homosexuals has made strides but there is still a long looooooooong way to go. A shame really.

In the future those who today fight against equal rights for homosexuals are going to look about as foolish and bigoted as those who stood up against interracial marriage all those decades ago.

w1z4rd

Karmic Sangoma
Yea equal rights for homosexuals has made strides but there is still a long looooooooong way to go. A shame really.

In the future those who today fight against equal rights for homosexuals are going to look about as foolish and bigoted as those who stood up against interracial marriage all those decades ago.

Its pretty funny. Cause I am on my wards executive, and we have conservatives that vote for us I often get asked, "So what about the gays?". I get all the usual lines on how conservatives dont like it and people on the farms are not happy so I normally answer. "Those are the same type of people that were unhappy when woman got the vote and blacks got the vote. We are always going to have those type of people and they will get used to it or die out as the newer generations concentrate on more important issues".

This conversation reminds me of this:

72639_10151497689495155_909633127_n.jpg

Last edited:

ant_man

Expert Member
Its pretty funny. Cause I am on my wards executive, and we have conservatives that vote for us I often get asked, "So what about the gays?". I get all the usual lines on how conservatives dont like it and people on the farms are not happy so I normally answer. "Those are the same type of people that were unhappy when woman got the vote and blacks got the vote. We are always going to have those type of people and they will get used to it or die out as the newer generations concentrate on more important issues".

As I say people are allowed their opionions it is just up to us to accept or reject it.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender

This conversation reminds me of this:

72639_10151497689495155_909633127_n.jpg

What kind of issues comes up in your ward where people want or need to ask "what about the gay?" :confused:

w1z4rd

Karmic Sangoma
What kind of issues comes up in your ward where people want or need to ask "what about the gay?" :confused:

Normally its when theyre telling me theyre voting for us, but they should be voting for the ACDP cause of gay people and abortions. Myself, councilors and activists often come across this. Remember, I am from the Eastern Cape and we have a lot of rural conservatives. We also have Lance Weyer... and a lot of the old people are having problems adjusting to that. Lance is a bloody hard worker but has a strong opinion. People are easily upset.

Last edited:

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Normally its when theyre telling me theyre voting for us, but they should be voting for the ACDP cause of gay people and abortions. Myself, councilors and activists often come across this. Remember, I am from the Eastern Cape and we have a lot of rural conservatives. We also have Lance Weyer... and a lot of the old people are having problems adjusting to that. Lance is a bloody hard worker but has a strong opinion. People are easily upset.

Strong opinions and strong leaders are what is needed in this country I think.

lance weyer.jpg

Hot DAAAAMNNNN!!!! Who cares about his opinions with a councilor that looks like THAT!!!!!

kidding

w1z4rd

Karmic Sangoma
Strong opinions and strong leaders are what is needed in this country I think.
There is nothing wrong with Lance`s opinions. He is generally on the ball. His audience is just a little shy still.

View attachment 42686

Hot DAAAAMNNNN!!!! Who cares about his opinions with a councilor that looks like THAT!!!!!

kidding

He is a very nice guy and one of the hardest workers in the party down here. I have utmost respect for him and he was my vote at a recent congress agm. (he won the vote).

ant_man

Expert Member

I dont Know Lance personally but from what I hear is excellent in what he does and how he gets the message across.
This country needs more people like him.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
British Actor Stephen Fry Spars with Anti-gay Russian Lawmaker

British actor Stephen Fry on Thursday clashed with the Russian politician behind a controversial law in the second city of Saint Petersburg that activists see as violating the rights of gays.

Fry, who is openly gay, met city lawmaker Vitaly Milonov while filming a BBC documentary titled "Out There" about being gay around the world, he wrote on Twitter.

Best known for playing valet Jeeves in the comedy series "Jeeves and Wooster," Fry is widely known in Russia and his meeting with Milonov prompted a heated discussion.

Milonov, of ruling United Russia party, was the sole author of a law passed by the Saint Petersburg parliament making it illegal to distribute "propaganda of homosexuality" among minors.

The loosely worded law can be used to ban any Gay Pride event and equates homosexuality with paedophilia, critics say. It sets a fine of up to 500,000 rubles ($16,200) as punishment.

Milonov has become a hate figure to some rights activists but the Russian parliament is considering making the measure federal law, in line with Saint Petersburg and several other regions.

During the interview, which lasted more than an hour, Fry wrote on Twitter that "Milonov and I (are) going at it hammer and tongs."

Milonov "doesn’t seem to believe there are teenagers bullied and tormented for being gay, he thinks they make it up and indoctrinate to minors," he said.

He finally called the interview "all very sad."

But Milonov told AFP afterwards that Fry was unwilling to see his point of view.

"Fry is making a film about gays and according to the rules of the genre, he needed an opinion opposing his. But in reality he was not at all interested in it," he said.

"For him, we who support the law against promotion of homosexuality are just crazy savages."

Yet in televised comments, Milonov praised Fry as "a very talented, very remarkable person" and said he would pray for his family.

A photograph by RIA Novosti news agency showing Fry and Milonov shaking hands infuriated prominent gay rights activist Nikolai Alexeyev, who has organised a series of gay parades that were roughly broken up in Moscow.

"It's not clear why the hell he is giving him more publicity. Fry will fly out and the homophobia will remain," he wrote on Twitter.

Source : Sapa-AFP /ml
Date : 14 Mar 2013 14:21