Makate takes Vodacom CEO’s R49-million offer “on judicial review”

marine1

Honorary Master
My understanding is that was what the original agreement provided for. CC just ordered that the contract is valid and enforceable.
Both lower courts ruled against him thats why it ended up in CC

Joe Average

Listen to the advise Kenneth... take the money, pay the legals and go on holiday somewhere (if you have any cash left)

Happy Days

Didn't I read somewhere that it was supposed to be fair compensation + legal fees for 2 attorneys?

Happy Days

The legal fees will be over and above the settlement as far as I'm aware...
If that's the case, then why all the houha over his gigantic legal bills? Everyone was making out that he'll have no money left after his legal fees has been paid. If this is not the case, then he's got no incentive/reason to stop pushing for more money. He can do a Zuma and litigate until kingdom come.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
If that's the case, then why all the houha over his gigantic legal bills? Everyone was making out that he'll have no money left after his legal fees has been paid. If this is not the case, then he's got no incentive/reason to stop pushing for more money. He can do a Zuma and litigate until kingdom come.
Its more subtle than that... the legal fees are WAY WAY WAY more than what the judgement has allowed to be paid for. at times there were 4 Senior Counsel in the room on Makate's side...

marine1

Honorary Master
Its more subtle than that... the legal fees are WAY WAY WAY more than what the judgement has allowed to be paid for. at times there were 4 Senior Counsel in the room on Makate's side...
What would you do? Go in with a junior ? You are going up against a team of legal minds.

elvis_presley

Expert Member
I agree, but the words fair and reasonable is a loose term, and this is where I think the courts got it wrong. They should have either stipulated a percentage of the revenue for a time-frame, or got an independent team to put forth recommended amounts that are measurable. Now there is a "debate" about the value, and the aggression is directed at Vodacom instead of the court.
That's an impossible task. The income from the advertising is very low; most the income would come from vodacom people calling back vodacom users who sent PCM messages, and then you could argue if PCM didn't exist they probably would have just done a scotch call.

The more you think about the whole thing, the less viable Makate's case appears to be.

I feel Shameel's R49M offer was incredibly generous. Even Makate's original lawyer says his original idea was nothing like Vodacom implemented.

elvis_presley

Expert Member

Lew Skannen

Expert Member
Unlike the United States of America, South African courts are not into compensation with exceedingly high amounts. Chances are very good that the courts may find this offer reasonable and make it binding. His attorneys should know this by now if they have any brains. But, I suspect that they do have brains, and they will be eating a lot more from Makete's money even if this judicial review fails and Makete will be getting a lot less from this money, if made a binding order by the courts. It is a win-win for the attorneys involved representing him. If Makete is hoping for a re-trial compensation based on profit-sharing, this will not happen.