Make me understand the iPhone phenomena

s0lar

Expert Member
'lo all,

I had a brief browse through this sub-forum and saw alot of people. Doing all sorts of things to try and get a cheap iPhone. Hefty contracts, oversea's shopping etc. etc. etc. Now clearly if you cant afford it you shouldn't have it.

That brings me to why? Is it the status of the iPhone or am I missing some functionality/app or ?

Acydebyte

Why do i smell another anti-iphone thread coming up ??

Ok, well my experice on the iphone is that it just works and thats the long and the short of it.. The iphone is a smartphone that has some really good feature but the best feature of the phone is that it never gives issues, hangs, gets infected by viruses, lags or anything like that. Unlike Android, Sybmian etc the OS platform is as stable when you get the phone as it is after you installed about 100 apps. The interface is clean, clear and simple to use and you can personalise your choice of apps to whatever you need the phone to do.

Me, i love sports so i have a few apps to keep me in touch with the latest sports news, scores ets from around the world.. social networking is easy as well.. . photos and videos come out clear and are perfect for those special moment when you dont want to lug your digital camera around with you. Email and sms features are great. Those are just the simple things.. i am sure others will add more.....

As for guys going overseas, they are looking for the iPhone 4 or IPad, which is not available in SA yet unless through one of the "import" retailers. Once they are in the country then the overseas buying should die down, but at about R10 000 its not a cheap piece of kit, so if you can save a couple of R`s buying getting one overseas why not ??

Best thing i can say is find someone with a an iphone and ask them if you cna play around on it for a few minutes.. then make your mind up....

s0lar

Expert Member
Why do i smell another anti-iphone thread coming up ??

Nope no iPhone hating, I have an android and a n900. One work one personal, I am happy with both. Used apple since MAC OS 8, and the advantages over windows at the time where numerous to make me fork out the extra cash for a mac.

I have "played" with some iPhones in the office, and I couldn't find that "WOW! feature" that would make me get into a ridiculous contract or pay in a lump of cash. Strangely enough when I said its nice but not that nice, I also got the "iPhone hater" response.

I honestly believe its a status symbol until proven otherwise. Opinion only.

Keeper

Honorary Master
Yeah, it's a status symbol.

I don't care about it's slick UI and rendering speed
I don't care that it has 43 Million Apps
I don't care about it's touch sensitivity
I also don't care about the screen size, pixel density or even weight/thickness of the phone
Who cares that it has an awesome browser, either?

All I care about is when meeting new people, I pull out my phone and wait for the "Hey, is that an iPhone you have there?"
that's it - that's my centre, where I get my mana from, what I thrill for...what I live for.

I sometimes go weeks without experiencing this, once it was even a month before somebody said it!

I hate the damn thing actually, its hard working with it day in, day out, every single bladdy day....but...man, is it great when somebody checks out your phone..... it sure makes that 3 seconds of excitement all worth it in the end

s0lar

Expert Member
Yeah, it's a status symbol.

I don't care about it's slick UI and rendering speed
I don't care that it has 43 Million Apps
I don't care about it's touch sensitivity
I also don't care about the screen size, pixel density or even weight/thickness of the phone
Who cares that it has an awesome browser, either?

Sarcasm? I appreciate the honesty. I have a car as a status symbol. Well that and I get more cool bits and pieces that enhance my daily commute. Plus I get a few extra inches when I take a lady friend for a spin. Seriously, I cant remember who has and who doesnt have an iPhone that I meet. Or even if its a old model or latest.