Make sure your business can survive for 18 months - Michael Jordaan

Magnum

Executive Member
This migh tactually be the saving of my company. We are a monopoly and are pretty well set financially, Our startup rivals are not.

JayM

Expert Member
I'm probably going to close my business down. Currently burning R40K a month to keep it afloat. It's probably wiser just to liquidate it (it has some assets worth a fair amount of money), emigrate and go back to a regular day job in a couple of years when the economy has recovered.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I'm probably going to close my business down. Currently burning R40K a month to keep it afloat. It's probably wiser just to liquidate it (it has some assets worth a fair amount of money), emigrate and go back to a regular day job in a couple of years when the economy has recovered.
Emigrate? Through which lockeddown border?

JayM

Expert Member

It'll take 5-6 months to wind down the company. I'm assuming by then at least one repatriation flight back to the UK will be available.

RedViking

Nord of the South
No, but you must keep it profitable for another 18 months. Easy peasy....

JayM

Expert Member
No, but you must keep it profitable for another 18 months. Easy peasy....

Agree, his tone was rather flippant. There aren't many companies that can pull cash our their arses to survive 18 months, and even if they could it might still be throwing good money after bad.

RedViking

Nord of the South
This migh tactually be the saving of my company. We are a monopoly and are pretty well set financially, Our startup rivals are not.
So you are going to "be realistic, look at the facts, and make tough choices" and that is going to save your business?

RedViking

Nord of the South
Agree, his tone was rather flippant. There aren't many companies that can pull cash our their arses to survive 18 months, and even if they could it might still be throwing good money after bad.
Well basically he said nothing...

I'm sure he gives actual advise somewhere. But you won't find it in the blog post.

Pixual

Expert Member
He questions why we aren't allowed to use courier companies for trade. So do I.

What this points to is a shrewd move by government to weed out the informal sector and make them compliant. They will want everybody doing business in this country to be registered, regardless of how they operate.

Mekon

Expert Member
Easy for someone that doesn't have any financial worries to say some thing like "make sure"
Make sure you brush your teeth
Make sure the doors are locked at night
Make sure you switched the stove off
.....that's easy

d-_-b

I see recruiters advertising positions in eu on linkedin, targeted to za with tags like start now and work from home and emigrate when the borders open again.

Not sure how it will work, but there is that offers out there.

RedViking

Nord of the South
Easy for someone that doesn't have any financial worries to say some thing like "make sure"
Make sure you brush your teeth
Make sure the doors are locked at night
Make sure you switched the stove off
.....that's easy
Here is a little more from 'him'

Magnum

Executive Member
So you are going to "be realistic, look at the facts, and make tough choices" and that is going to save your business?
No it is business as usual. we will be making more money when the Lock down is lifted than before Covid-19.

RedViking

Nord of the South
No it is business as usual. we will be making more money when the Lock down is lifted than before Covid-19.
Ah I see what you mean. COVID 19 / lockdown is actually going to make you money.

azbob

Honorary Master
It'll take 5-6 months to wind down the company. I'm assuming by then at least one repatriation flight back to the UK will be available.

There were already about 7 repatriation flights to the UK in early April. Why would there still be repatriation flights 6 months from now? Also, repatriation flights are mostly for tourists and short term visitors. You don’t seem to be either?

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I like it when bankers tell businesses how to survive, and it is mostly sound advice, but they want you to survive within their own banking ecosystems. Their core advise is to ensure business continuity through continues transactions. So, how do banks survive?

JayM

Expert Member
There were already about 7 repatriation flights to the UK in early April. Why would there still be repatriation flights 6 months from now? Also, repatriation flights are mostly for tourists and short term visitors. You don’t seem to be either?

My bad, I guess calling them repatriation flights is incorrect. I'm referring to any flight at reasonable cost. If there aren't any, then I wait until there are.