Makes You Think

nrg_wp

Regarding ajak's comment,
I agree. I am not pointing at any specific ethnic group. Just a mentality of certian people (amongst which are many coloureds who prefer it when they were margianally superior to blacks a few years back) who are a bit oblivious to alot of truths back then...
I have many great afrikaans speaking friends, If anything, the current generation of them are of the warmest people i know...

peace!

rebel

nrg_wp said:
I personally know of too many disadvantages my immediate family had to even wish for a second that we were back under that ugly orange flag...
I know of too many truths that happened then that alot of that small percentage do not know of.

I will get flamed for this, but dont give a crap.
bite me...

peace !!!!
I got your back if you get flamed. I got into a lot of racially motivated fights between '92 and '96 because of those inhuman ***** that ruled the country before '94. Luckily I could defend myself very well so no **** could touch me.

I repeat...If you hate South Africa then leave. Go to Russia, England, wherever. No one cares where the **** you go. Just go AWAY damnit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris_the_Brit

High Tory
ajak said:
And the stupid English what about them? Don’t start insulting the AFRIKANERS it is not called for, why single out a particular ethnic group. There where Jews, English and Afrikaans speakers in the then gov.
Although there were racist policies before 1948, some were relaxed because the whites were at war and therefore blacks got highly-paid positions. Of course the whites wanted the jobs back but Smuts was British-orientated and therefore this wouldn't happen.

That's why the NP got voted into power because they were independent of Britain (i.e. they wanted to have more racist policies) and I bet the large majority of English speakers voted for the United Party.

Kropotkin

ajak said:
I suppose you got an affirmative action job. So you can not leave where you will find a job overseas.
ajak, I think you will be surprised to know that most (the vast majority actually) of the unemployed people in SA are black, not white males.

nrg_wp

My dad worked at a factory for 35 years, he was never promoted, couldnt leave becuase he had a family to support, after 1994, he got promoted 3 times in 3 years, but was g@tvol, and left. THey begged him back. If he got what he deserved, then paying for a 1gb line and no cap wouldnt be an issue for me right now...

My mom was arrested for standing up against governemnt who skrewed over "coloured" schools in the late 80's.. all she did was stand with a plackard at my brother's school... (she got out the same day, no record at least)...
She's the first non-white female ambassador for parent councellors & social workers in south africa... So no, she happens to be well educated...

Im not asking for sympathy, as im very content with things.
I am also not at advantage due to affirmative action at all... I was hired based on a portfolio, because my cv never said my colour, and the interviewee was foreign...

My brother works with orphans, my mother is a social councellor for disadvantaged communities...So we not just "all talk and complain" I

I can say alot of crap if i want, simply because im g@tvol of being pigeon holed as a "reverse racist".. but dont think it's worth the effort.

PEace!

Last edited:

nrg_wp

Hey rebel! you took all my attention away.. im not getting flamed :p

werner

Expert Member
while everybody is entitled to their opinion (and so am I) may I just kinda hint to all the new south africans that some of us were born under the old flag (for whatever it represented), grew up under the old flag, and the old flag is what reminds us of s.a.

the new flag is something alien to us. it doesnt feel like "home". And I am not talking from a point of view as to who was better/less better/underprivileged/previously disadvantaged etc.

I am talking about waking up in the morning, going to school and singing the anthem of your country. With a flag that you recognise as being a symbol of your country.

Of course, it may be difficult for some of you to comprehend this, and the change was for the better of everybody. But not all of us swore allegiance or whatever to the smartie-box flag. (the new flag resembles a smartie box to me...dunno why...)

Me, personally, with no offence meant to anybody here....I dont recognise the new flag as being the flag of s.a. That is how I feel.

Last edited:

antowan

Honorary Master
Take it easy guys. Avoid personal attacks and tackle issues and not people. Please stop the swearing.

rebel

nrg_wp said:
Hey rebel! you took all my attention away.. im not getting flamed :p
I'm deliberately starting a flame war :D
People are just too serious about nothing. I'm just looking for some fun. Bed time for me anyway so cheers.

Flame away little ones... :D

rebel

antowan said:
Take it easy guys. Avoid personal attacks and tackle issues and not people. Please stop the swearing.
Come one dude. It's fun :D

craigsa

Executive Member
rebel said:
I love this country and I know a lot of people that feel the same. If you hate it so much then you should consider going to a better place.
Did that , had to come back , couldnt get green card.
rebel said:
The old flag represents nothing but apartheid to me and every single black person in this country. The current flag represents the country's diversity Mr. online cop ;)
According to you and the ANC maybe , have you spoken to the average black person? I am not saying i support the old regime but i am saying i dont support this one either. they are more corrupt than the whole of Africa put together.
By the way how old are you mate ?

rebel said:
I'm tired of people bitching about the country. We all have choices in life so make the right one and leave, else shut the **** up, beyaaaches!
Tired of the bitching ? Did you bitch in the old regime ? I wont stop bitching because they are destroying this country. Look around at whats going on. I am tired of the spineless population just accepting the crap thats going on

rebel

craigsa said:
Did that , had to come back , couldnt get green card.
I'd love to get a green card but I looked at the requirements. I'm certain I'd be able to find a job in the US but they want a lot of other stuff.

craigsa said:
According to you and the ANC maybe , have you spoken to the average black person? I am not saying i support the old regime but i am saying i dont support this one either. they are more corrupt than the whole of Africa put together.
Don't blame them, blame money. If I were in a position to sort myself out for life in terms of cash I'd take advantage. I'm tired of being poor. It sucks when you have to work your butt off and not being able to afford a home. If I could make a quick mil I would, but I'm too smart, unlike the ANC. The corrupt guys always assume they'll never get caught :rolleyes:

craigsa said:
By the way how old are you mate ?

craigsa said:
Tired of the bitching ? Did you bitch in the old regime ? I wont stop bitching because they are destroying this country. Look around at whats going on. I am tired of the spineless population just accepting the crap thats going on
Crime, corruption and racism affects the whole country. It doesn't matter whether your black or white, it will affect you. You're not being forced out of your home, are you? The government will not cease land. They will have to buy it from farmers or I'll nuke the state buildings in Pretoria.

That's actually a good thing compared to what happened when the old, racist government was in power. They took people's homes and not just farms. They did 10X worse things than good old Robert.

I'll start panicking only when **** hits the fan :D

ajak

Expert Member
Yes Ja!
It seems to me that there are some people on this forum that at least know what it was like before the dark cloud ascended on south Africa, to them that served their country I say thanks. But to those of you that were to **** scared and those that are just to f@ching stupid if you have been brainwashed (as you most probably have been)SHUT UP. Today the colored people are not black enough so are the Indian people.
The gov don’t like the whites neither the colored or the Indians, but they brown nose the whole world for investments from European as well as well as Asian ,they never beg from the African countries(they have F-ALL anyway, but then the discrimination is implemented. Work for blacks*+k the coloreds whites an Asians.
Yeah great dark continent we live inF+*KING FREAKS

What has this once richly blessed, beautifully situated, bountifully
endowed country, achieved since the 1994 transition of government?
"Sadly, it has achieved the predictable.
"Cronyism and corruption in government, ineptness in administration,
self-seeking leaders exploiting the trappings of undeserved office,
ex-Soviet-trained guerillas given authority over national security,
downgrading of education standards, reduction in health services, the
general degrading of the whole quality of life – the new SA exhibits
them all."wwwscafrica.co.za

Last edited:

LethalChicken

Expert Member
To the guys who say that the people who don't like what is happening in the post 1994 SA, must leave.

In the same though, if you didn't like what was happening PRE 1994, why didn't you leave? Africa is a BIG place.

The point is we ALL like the country, it's just the events that are getting us down.

ajak

Expert Member
Do any of you remember the old Rhodesia .Well as you will know after mugabe came to power thousands of Rhodesians left the country. Those that left where called chicken, for leaving by those that stayed behind. So it has come to pass that we here in south Africa are in the same boat. People will call those that leave traitors and all sorts of names, but the bottom line is that as is was in Rhodesia, so it will be here
AND YOU CAN TAKE THAT TO THE BANK

DONT WAIT IF YOU CAN, GO?

I HAVE MADE IT MY MISSION TO RID THE COUNTRY OF ALL THE SKILLS THAT ARE NOT WANTED.AND ITS WORKING.

ajak

Expert Member
By a AFRICAN

THE AFRICAN by Eric Mafuna.

There are many definitions of an African. Some say it is anyone who lives in Africa and owes their loyalty to the soil of the continent. Others say residence is not enough and should include a higher calling that would encompass cultural heritage and language.

This is not an article about that definition, but about the kind of African whose roots are in Africa, the indigenous African.

These issues arise as one tries to deal with painful realities of our time.

A group of researchers led by well-known thinker Eric Mafuna, grouped under the name Africa Now, has been researching the problem of African leadership. The thesis is simple: African communities are in crisis and the leadership of many institutions run by Africans is in turmoil.

President Thabo Mbeki tried two years ago to call people to his home and feed them and say "come forward and provide leadership in your areas of expertise", but nothing is coming of that effort.

In my home area of Nzhelele, in Limpopo, virtually all the general dealer shops, which number more than 20, are now run by Indians after the African owners went bankrupt.

Two weeks ago, I had lunch with someone who runs a 3 500-strong company, the most Africanised section of which had been fired en masse for fraud and dereliction of duty.

A white replacement has been appointed and work is going on.

"That kills me," he said.

A member of Cabinet told me about the frustrations of getting into government and hiring African people because that is the right thing to do, only for them not to deliver in the majority of cases.

"When you come from where we come from and you then have to realise that if you want something done quickly you have to rely on whites, it is really debilitating. You bleed internally, but our very own comrades do not work. There is generally no work ethic. Documents will not come on time or they will be sloppy. That is the painful truth."

Africa Now has been grappling with this issue on behalf of Eskom, which spent more than R6-million funding the research. They have looked at the Jewish experience of leadership, asking what it is that makes Jews such a successful group everywhere, able to integrate but also remaining distinct.

Community structures, religion, history, culture and all other things that make Jews who they are, are intact.

Indians are by and large the same as Jews, sticking together and supporting each other in their business ventures, and also ensuring strong community structures.

Afrikaners built their own communities and businesses and, despite the loss of political power, are still a community - distinct and thriving.

The African structures, on the other hand, are all gone, and those that are still around are being ridiculed each day, from circumcision and cultural practices to religion and the medicines of our forefathers.

And yet Africans were not always like this. The forefathers and mothers who built Zimbabwe and the pyramids of Giza, who taught the Greek mathematicians the basics of algebra and trigonometry were great people.

The leaders of the kingdoms of Monomotapa, Timbuktu and Mapungubwe were great leaders. They could never have succeeded in doing what they did if they were selfish.

The reality today is that people in this country who are indigenous Africans are prone to irrational behaviour fed by greed and irresponsibility. The numerous corruption and fraud cases involving esteemed African leaders are worrying issues.

Africans are not the only ones fingered for corruption, but the rate and level of occurrence is worrying.

What about patriotic fervour? Would the Afrikaans-speaking white rugby players of yesteryear have ever refused a call-up to the Springbok team as we see in soccer?

This is a painful reality. We need to confront the legacy of colonialism and racism and its effects on African people, in particular.

Africa Now's research goes back to pre-colonial times to try to find the lost moorings that made the ancestors tick.

The question is whether African leaders are today forced by the legacy of colonialism to operate outside their cultural heritages and what effect this has on the underlying principles of their leadership styles.

This Wednesday Africa Now's results will be handed to Eskom executives. This newspaper has committed itself to making its pages a forum for debate on this issue. Is Africa Now's premise right or wrong? Is there something that can actually be done?

www.scafrica.co.za