Makro gunning for top ecommerce spot in South Africa

Hanno Labuschagne

Journalist
Staff member
Makro gunning for top ecommerce spot in South Africa

South African wholesale retailer Makro plans to become a dominant ecommerce player in South Africa.

The company has told MyBroadband it is increasing its availability on ordering platforms, redesigning its website, and optimising delivery systems to better serve customers shopping online.

This comes at a time when Makro has observed shifting consumer patterns with an increase in retail customers and drop in wholesale and commercial customers.

saor

Honorary Master
Proper delivery & collection options and it'll be 100x better.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
cf9b9e012eb5eebdb8df061defe312fe.gif

Lol yeah sure.

Solitude

Executive Member
For me Makro is like the post office.

It was a couple of years ago when they didn't deliver my order and I had to fight and fight and it took months before I finally got my order... and then they gave me the wrong item.

So screw them. Never again.

Fox1

Executive Member
We've heard the this story before. At least try to compete with Loot or Woolworths.

rvZA

Honorary Master
Had friends that ordered a couple of times from Makro. Definitely not a nice experience.

I just simply read some of the comments of MyBB users as far back as 3-5 years ago. Then, the negative comments continued every single year. This was enough for me to have never placed a single order with Makro online and probably never will. If there is ever a need for me to get anything from Makro, I would much rather get into my vehicle and make a 25km trip and simply buy it in store.

saor

Honorary Master
I just simply read some of the comments of MyBB users as far back as 3-5 years ago. Then, the negative comments continued every single year. This was enough for me to have never placed a single order with Makro online and probably never will. If there is ever a need for me to get anything from Makro, I would much rather get into my vehicle and make a 25km trip and simply buy it in store.
If they have collection points they need to spread them out. Maybe they already are, but I cba to actually drive to a Makro. They're always out of the way. The Takealot collections points are well placed and super efficient.

Johand

Expert Member
The company has told MyBroadband it is increasing its availability on ordering platforms, redesigning its website, and optimising delivery systems to better serve customers shopping online.

The right noises. I mean they have the opportunity to be great.

I just hope they don't "re-skin" their website. That thing needs to be thrown in the trash and they have to replace it completely. Hopefully they can have optimal integration with their backend stock systems so that they don't have a slow as heck experience. Don't get ERP consultants to build the website and the integration!

HumanShield

They must be using internet explorer.

Got caught out in the lockdown last year and realised they have zero online strategies. Their afterthought of a website was horrible from the beginning and their search function is atrocious. But yeah. Good luck to them