Makro gunning for top ecommerce spot in South Africa

konfab

Honorary Master
Makro's problem is that they were first a warehouse club for businesses. Then they decided to get into retail.
They still haven't shaken off that DNA.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
The odds of any major retailer building a good online store is vanishingly small when they don't have a clue how to invest in this area or who they should be hiring. I have dev friends working at corporates and without exception, their working environment is some sort of bizarre idiocracy thanks to a comedic level of mismanagement.

jdido87

Expert Member
How are they going to achieve that. I bought online only tech and it was dispatched from the Milnerton Branch. I am a few kilometers away but it took over a week to reach me. What top spot are they talking about.

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
Proper delivery & collection options
Indeed. Makro's in-store pickup for online orders is pathetic. It's a tiny little room at the very back of the store at the Montague Gardens store where literally only one person can be served and both times I've been there they seem to have some issue releasing the item because their system is borked.

The contrast to the Montague Takealot is not even a contest.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
The odds of any major retailer building a good online store is vanishingly small when they don't have a clue how to invest in this area or who they should be hiring. I have dev friends working at corporates and without exception, their working environment is some sort of bizarre idiocracy thanks to a comedic level of mismanagement.

The odds are good if they just managed to resolve some basic flaws in their systems really.

Makro have the DC footprint to absolutely crush Takealot if they sort out their delivery and collection timelines basically. But they just don't seem to be able to get their heads around that little logistical concept. Its not about being able to shop online, that is the easy part. Its about getting the product to the customer quickly.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle

Makro takes aim at Takealot​

South African wholesale retailer Makro plans to become a dominant ecommerce player in South Africa.

Bwahahaha!!! :laugh:

Don't you need some kind of functioning online website, that can actually received and fulfill orders???

Makro's website runs on a potato.

Priapus

Executive Member
I'm buying a washing machine from Makro tomorrow. Decided I'd rather go in and collect it so that I can have it tomorrow, instead of 6 months from now.

sdikgetsi

Makro is okay and I think it will do a fine job. But...But their delivery sucks!!! I have solid experience here.

TheMonkZa

If they are using OneCart then they already lost this battle. OneCart are amateurs at best who started at the bottom & like it there. Makro can become number 1. However, they are going to need a real logistics strategy. They have been talking about Walmart “strengths & experience “ for a while now. This far it is been just talk.

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
' Makro gunning for ' conjures up the image of a suped up Ford Cortina wif free flow exhaust pipe revving engine at the traffic lights.

Last edited:

rodmur

Takealot's killer is their no arguments return policy if you do not like the item Beat that ANYONE !

Antnick

I very much doubt if their aim will be true. I have experience at shopping at Makro, stores true, a while ago. They have hordes of stock of some items and are sadly lacking in others. There is no " let us know what you need and we'll get back to you". I have done this at Takealot.com and always get an answer even if a few days later. I find that price is not always a factor when shopping. Service is the thing that counts and Takealot.com have this. Time today is money and spending a long time calling would-be online websites to see where why my delivery has not come is akin to paying more for the product. Take action here Takealot.com ! We do support you!

Arthur

Honorary Master
Just copy paste walmart and walmart+ and itll be fine.
Do that and fail.

Last month I decided to test Walmart's online purchasing and delivery. The nearest Supercenter is 3 miles away, which I visit quite often.

I ordered 8 non-food items from household, clothing and garden, no item more than $20. Delivery was "free".

Each and every item was delivered on a different, separate day. The first arrived on the fourth day after the order, the last took sixteen days from order to delivery. Whatever razor-thin margin Walmart had on the items was more than eaten up by the cost of eight separate deliveries.

My experience in Dallas TX with Amazon is quite different. In the past six months I have placed 37 orders on Amazon. About a third of them were delivered the next day. Three were delivered the same day -- a logistical feat that still induces boggled astonishment. The rest took between two and five days, and two orders, both shipped/fulfilled from the UK, took nine and ten days respectively.

My conclusion: Walmart are indeed making a serious bid for online shopping. However, their logistical system, which is astonishingly efficient and sophisticated, is historically geared to super-effectively servicing large Walmart stores. It still fails rather pathetically at individual retail deliveries to suburbia, and has some way to go. I hope they get there and compete effectively with Amazon. They certainly have the resources to do so.

Amazon is awesomely, bogglingly good at what they do, at least here in Dallas TX. No-one else comes close.

Last edited: