Makro gunning for top ecommerce spot in South Africa

saor

Honorary Master
Amazon is awesomely, bogglingly good at what they do, at least here in Dallas TX. No-one else comes close.
Imo sometimes we get close locally. Twice this week I've ordered from takealot (in stock items) at 20:00 in the evening and it's been ready for collection at my local pickup point the next morning at 10/11. Faithful To Nature - have ordered a few times late afternoon and received courier delivery the next morning. Obviously not the same as Amazon, but it's certainly possible to have a good experience locally. Makro just seem unable to manage this.

Arthur

Honorary Master
Just to give you a sense of how flippen amaazing Amazon are, at least in Dallas:

Standing in the kitchen at around 4pm on a Saturday, my daughter asks Alexa to deliver a pack of diapers. By 5.30pm the Amazon Prime delivery rings the doorbell. Delivered.

Supervan II

Expert Member
As has been mentioned a few times already: Makro has a distribution problem - simply because their distribution staff, from top to bottom, have no idea what distribution is about - and they don't seem to want to fix it by employing the right people.

hj007

Expert Member
Do that and fail.

Last month I decided to test Walmart's online purchasing and delivery. The nearest Supercenter is 3 miles away, which I visit quite often.

I ordered 8 non-food items from household, clothing and garden, no item more than $20. Delivery was "free".

Each and every item was delivered on a different, separate day. The first arrived on the fourth day after the order, the last took sixteen days from order to delivery. Whatever razor-thin margin Walmart had on the items was more than eaten up by the cost of eight separate deliveries.
My Makro order was for 10 of the same small item, that was in stock, and it took 30 days to deliver. Your experience with Walmart sounds like a dream, they couldve just kept everything for delivery after 16 days.

krycor

Honorary Master
I wouldn’t trust Makro with anything after they delivered a fridge dented and filled to brim with rat piss. (They refused to replace a d I still sit with it)

Every major appliance since I’ve ordered via takealot with no issues..

SAguy

Executive Member
Guess I got lucky with a makro order a couple of years ago.
I ordered a 5000l JoJo tank, arrived like 3 days later.

mister

Executive Member
For me Makro is like the post office.

It was a couple of years ago when they didn't deliver my order and I had to fight and fight and it took months before I finally got my order... and then they gave me the wrong item.

So screw them. Never again.

exact same thing happened to me.

Supervan II

Expert Member
I wouldn’t trust Makro with anything after they delivered a fridge dented and filled to brim with rat piss. (They refused to replace a d I still sit with it)

Every major appliance since I’ve ordered via takealot with no issues..
Ah, the old swop-new- item at a friend's house and deliver his used one ... happens regularly, actually.

Therein lies the problem: Makro (and many other retail stores) "outsource" their delivery function to any Tom, Dick or Sipho and they have no control over what/when/how anything gets delivered. And yet they expect no problems with this system.

fruitbat

Expert Member
Hmmm I order small stuff from takealot all the time. Usually a pretty seamless process... so happpy with takealot.

Ordered a freezer from makro early lockdown. Arrived a week before the drop to lvl 3 or 4. Great experience.
Ordered a fridge from takealot a year before that - horrendous experience. Massive fight to get them to take it back and refund. Never buy big things from takealot.

After reading the comments, not sure how I got lucky with makro.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I think they could certainly manage it with the right focus and investment.

Wouldn’t be surprised if Walmart starts helping from the top, I see their warehouses are even Walmart branded now.

My online experienced have been pleasant in the past, in store pickup not so much.

There is potential.