Maldives...Anyone?

Muttley

Expert Member
Maldives is epic- what you see on the pamphlets is what you get.

The advice we were given before we left was:
  1. Stay off the main island unless you want to hear planes coming in and out all day/night- a sea plane ride is and epic experience so I'd suggest looking for an island that is a bit away from the main island. Also, if you guys get sea sick, don't consider the boat transfer and look for a sea plan option.
From our trip:
  1. Don't fly with Qatar- we lost a full day due to a delay on their side and got zero compensation/revolting sandwiches to eat in Doha Airport and we lost out a full day of our honeymoon- fly Emirates/Direct
  2. Go for full board/half board or at least ensure that water is included in your package
  3. Water Villa's are nice- maybe book 1 night in one as a suprise for your Mrs but there's really nothing wrong with a beach villa- it's absolute paradise!
  4. At $5 a bottle of water and not having a drinks package, we landed up collecting the complementary water bottles which they gave us daily (1l per person daily) and filled up our bottles using the aqua cooler in the gym - sneaky move but it saved us big dosh considering how hot is was.
  5. Not sure if it's still there but we found a pay to go lounge at the airport when we left for home - it was spotless compared to the normal airport so this is worth spending the money on.
Maldives is awesome... don't let anyone convince you otherwise :D

Edit: I've seen some suggestions re Thailand - Thailand is also great but far far far far far more commercial. If you're looking for a proper couples get away, Maldives is your go to place

Scooby_Doo

Executive Member
Highly likely...

If that is true, then just factor in that those meals/drinks will be above and beyond whatever you are paying at the resort which, depending on how much time you spend off the resort, may mean the unbundled version would be better for you.

MaisonP

The advice we were given before we left was:
  1. Stay off the main island unless you want to hear planes coming in and out all day/night- a sea plane ride is and epic experience so I'd suggest looking for an island that is a bit away from the main island. Also, if you guys get sea sick, don't consider the boat transfer and look for a sea plan option.
From our trip:
  1. Don't fly with Qatar- we lost a full day due to a delay on their side and got zero compensation/revolting sandwiches to eat in Doha Airport and we lost out a full day of our honeymoon- fly Emirates/Direct
  2. Go for full board/half board or at least ensure that water is included in your package
  3. Water Villa's are nice- maybe book 1 night in one as a suprise for your Mrs but there's really nothing wrong with a beach villa- it's absolute paradise!
  4. At $5 a bottle of water and not having a drinks package, we landed up collecting the complementary water bottles which they gave us daily (1l per person daily) and filled up our bottles using the aqua cooler in the gym - sneaky move but it saved us big dosh considering how hot is was.
  5. Not sure if it's still there but we found a pay to go lounge at the airport when we left for home - it was spotless compared to the normal airport so this is worth spending the money on.
Maldives is awesome... don't let anyone convince you otherwise :D
Maldives is good.
All the islands are good.

But the OP wants some nightlife. Unfortunately you are stuck on an island if you are going to Maldives.

You really are limited.

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
Don't even bother going via Flight Centre. Book directly via booking.com or Agoda.com.

The hotel/resorts will come pick you guys up from the airport and take you to the hotel/resort.

From there on, do your own thing. Thailand is so easy to navigate.

Buy your plane tickets directly from Qatar/Emirates/Kenya/Singapore airways.
And use a VPN, they use cookies to jack up the price.

bchip

Expert Member

Edit: I've seen some suggestions re Thailand - Thailand is also great but far far far far far more commercial. If you're looking for a proper couples get away, Maldives is your go to place

Phuket is very commercial, most of the other places in Thailand are not.

MusicalMan

Crikey - Seems I have a lot to figure out - No idea how this all works.
So.....
  1. Book accomodation separate from flights
  2. Book flights
  3. Save money!!

Right?

MaisonP

Phuket is very commercial, most of the other places in Thailand are not.

You are right. But from Phuket you can venture out to other islands but once you are on an island in the maldives, that is where you will be until you go home.

MaisonP

So.....
  2. Book flights
  3. Save money!!

Right?

Don't be scared of the unknown.

First, choose your dates. Then, look what is available on booking.com/Agoda regarding accommodation.
Book and pay.

Then, buy your flights and enjoy the ride.

You wont be sorry.

MusicalMan

Don't be scared of the unknown.

First, choose your dates. Then, look what is available on booking.com/Agoda regarding accommodation.
Book and pay.

Then, buy your flights and enjoy the ride.

You wont be sorry.

Thanks

Will have to figure all of this out

Ghost64

Expert Member
If you’re so confused just go to Mauritius, it’s cheaper, closer and much of what you’re looking for.

Naks

Executive Member
If you’re so confused just go to Mauritius, it’s cheaper, closer and much of what you’re looking for.
Not anywhere close to the quality and/or service levels that you get in the Maldives.

At the end of the day, you get what you pay for.

MaisonP

Not anywhere close to the quality and/or service levels that you get in the Maldives.

At the end of the day, you get what you pay for.

True words here. Maldives is definitely 2 steps up from Mauritius.
If you go Maldives, don't count penny's. Go all out on a nice resort with a sea view/water villa.

But best bang for your buck AND an experience you wont regret, rather go South east Asia.

Pegasus

Executive Member
So.....
  2. Book flights
  3. Save money!!

Right?

That's why I used the travel agent the first time I went overseas.

I showed the lady at Flight centre their ad and told her that if the price is really R29000, I'll give her the money now.
So I did. :)

They get better prices than you will.