Male emperor penguins are good dads

McT

The Humble Scot!
During the summer in the Southern Hemisphere – from about December to February – emperor penguins in Antarctica are at sea fattening up on squid, fish, and krill. As autumn approaches in March, the emperors leave the water and begin a long trek to one of several breeding colonies. The breeding cycle begins around now – the month of April, autumn in Antarctica – when penguins mate on the reforming sea ice. Each female produces a single egg. She transfers the egg to her mate, then leaves to spend winter in the open ocean.

During Antarctica’s winter – a frigid night four months long – male emperor penguins huddle by the hundreds in the snow. The male penguins guard the eggs and keep them warm. Each male penguin puts his egg on his feet. He covers it with a fold of skin. In this way, he keeps it warm at about 100 degrees Fahrenheit (38 degrees Celsius) while the outside temperatures can drop well below -30 degrees F (?35 degrees C).

For 65 days, each bird incubates an egg, huddled in large colonies with only feathers, fat, and each other to stay warm. The eggs may begin to hatch in July, but the male penguins’ winter vigil won’t end until around August when the sun peeks over the horizon.

More @ Earth Sky
https://earthsky.org/earth/male-penguin-eggs

MEIOT

Expert Member
I bet it makes all the hot chicks on tinder wish more Male penguins were on their match list :laugh:

eg2505

Honorary Master
I've always wondered something interesting,

do penguins have any sort of idea WHY they do such things?
I mean was there ever a rebel penguin who decided, screw it, let be build an igloo?