Man, 22, Dies After Tongue-Piercing Causes Brain Abscesses

mercurial

MyBB Legend
They may seem cool to teenagers and young adults, but having your tongue pierced can be deadly, BBC News reported.

A 22-year-old man died of multiple brain abscesses just weeks after piercing his tongue, according to a report in the Archives of Neurology.

According to doctors, an infection can spread from the site of the piercing and go up to the brain.

"Dentists are all too aware of the health problems that can be caused by oral piercings," said Professor Damien Walmsley, a scientific adviser to the British Dental Association. "There are many potential complications, ranging from pain and swelling to chipped or cracked teeth. Patients who have oral piercings can also suffer with recession of the gums and prolonged bleeding.

"Piercing of oral sites also carries with it a risk of infection. The clear message is that oral piercing is ill-advised and should be avoided."

Source

LancelotSA

Banned
Anyone ever died from a nipple or clit piercing i wonder?

Not sure but I know of a girl who had to remove hers as she got an infection.... and although a clit piercing may sound sexy I am sure a mouth full of pus from an infection there is not! I also know a male friend who had to soak his penis in a saline solution a couple of times a day to prevent an infection when he got a prince albert.

Why stick holes in your body and permanently draw on it anyway? Hey, listen I am not opposed to tattoos but I have never really understood it. Now at risk of having everyone with tattoos and piercings attack me and state things like my body is my temple and I want to decorate it etc etc. I see it as almost like trying to compensate for something you don't have naturally. Like trying to make yourself appear harder or tougher or cooler by getting a tattoo.

Now my GF, and many friends obviously, have tattoos but I just don't understand that drive to allow someone else to permanently mark your body. What possesses someone to do this? What are they hoping to achieve?

Pitbull

Verboten
Not sure but I know of a girl who had to remove hers as she got an infection.... and although a clit piercing may sound sexy I am sure a mouth full of pus from an infection there is not! I also know a male friend who had to soak his penis in a saline solution a couple of times a day to prevent an infection when he got a prince albert.

Why stick holes in your body and permanently draw on it anyway? Hey, listen I am not opposed to tattoos but I have never really understood it. Now at risk of having everyone with tattoos and piercings attack me and state things like my body is my temple and I want to decorate it etc etc. I see it as almost like trying to compensate for something you don't have naturally. Like trying to make yourself appear harder or tougher or cooler by getting a tattoo.

Now my GF, and many friends obviously, have tattoos but I just don't understand that drive to allow someone else to permanently mark your body. What possesses someone to do this? What are they hoping to achieve?

Tattoos and piercings I think can be viewed in the same light as a religion. People have their own reasons for for doing it. At the same time people will be judged by others for their reasons.

It's a personal choice and should be respected as that. I don't have a piercing on me of a day old. But I don't judge people who have them, they have their reasons for it. Same can be said for someone having a tattoo and you don't have one.

LancelotSA

Banned
Tattoos and piercings I think can be viewed in the same light as a religion. People have their own reasons for for doing it. At the same time people will be judged by others for their reasons.

It's a personal choice and should be respected as that. I don't have a piercing on me of a day old. But I don't judge people who have them, they have their reasons for it. Same can be said for someone having a tattoo and you don't have one.

And we are all entitled to our opinions on them. The exact same way you are entitled to your opinion on my, or anyone else's, religious beliefs.

They differ from religion in respect of the fact that you are usually indoctrinated with your religious beliefs from a young age, if not birth. Piercings and tattoos are the exact opposite. I do not know of many parents, schools etc that encourage them. Equating these two acts with religion is just trying to attach even more "coolness" and importance to their use.

Pitbull

Verboten
And we are all entitled to our opinions on them. The exact same way you are entitled to your opinion on my, or anyone else's, religious beliefs.

They differ from religion in respect of the fact that you are usually indoctrinated with your religious beliefs from a young age, if not birth. Piercings and tattoos are the exact opposite. I do not know of many parents, schools etc that encourage them. Equating these two acts with religion is just trying to attach even more "coolness" and importance to their use.

Yes ofc.

Sorry it might have come out wrong :eek: Didn't mean your view on it is wrong. But people have their reasons no matter how stupid we might find it sometimes. We just need to understand that the world has plenty of different people, all with different things they want out of life.

The Religion part I was getting at was this:

People will be judged for what ever choice they made, if it's not the same as yours you will judge them. So people who have piercings and tattoos are judged by people who doesn't have them.

Piercings to me is soooooo stupid. But tattoos I'm fine with if done with taste. (See what I mean) This is because I don't have piercings. I don't mind people having piercings but to me they look stupid :p