Man, 23, dies after falling off cable car at Durban beachfront

Daruk

Honorary Master
fake news, he wasn't suicidal, he was clearly a masochist
Yeah, it's annoying to think that he did it in front of his friends and random strangers including kids. I mean... you have to be so very self-centered to want to dish your pain out on those around you like that.
*Disclaimer* I have no idea what he was going through.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
question for people, why cant they string nets to prevent some professor from jumping?

I mean surely its not hard to make this ride a bit safer.
The ride is perfectly safe.... this idiot wanted to commit suicide, he would have found a way regardless...

Lew Skannen

Expert Member
The ride is perfectly safe.... this idiot wanted to commit suicide, he would have found a way regardless...
I do not often agree with you, but you are right. This ride is perfectly safe. We have been on it earlier on Saturday. I had no reason to be concerned whatsoever.

xeslaro

Expert Member
You have 1000% better chance of sustaining a mugging injury on terra firma. That cart travels at the speed of green snot from an infant's nostrils.

eg2505

Honorary Master
but surely, its possible to prevent casual suicide, but at least putting down nets to prevent people from "trying" to commit suicide.
sure the plans are being worked out now, nets covering everything, especially below.

one thing I always wondered, what if load shedding happens and your in the middle of the span?
they come rescue you with ladders, and call the Fire department?

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
but surely, its possible to prevent casual suicide, but at least putting down nets to prevent people from "trying" to commit suicide.
sure the plans are being worked out now, nets covering everything, especially below.

one thing I always wondered, what if load shedding happens and your in the middle of the span?
they come rescue you with ladders, and call the Fire department?
So who bears the cost for suicide proofing a ride that has had very few incidents of it over its 20+ year lifespan (probably more like 35+ but I can't be sure)?

eg2505

Honorary Master
So who bears the cost for suicide proofing a ride that has had very few incidents of it over its 20+ year lifespan (probably more like 35+ but I can't be sure)?
sure with this incident, somebody might say its too dangerous, and relook procedures into making it safer,
after such an incident, suicide or accident, investigators might just turn up and force its closure till safety nets are tested and installed.

who will pay? guess who? ticket prices will go up surely,
I mean you wouldn't want your day at the beach ruined by some m0ron with a death wish, sure the operators know this already.

Lew Skannen

Expert Member
sure with this incident, somebody might say its too dangerous, and relook procedures into making it safer,
after such an incident, suicide or accident, investigators might just turn up and force its closure till safety nets are tested and installed.

I mean you wouldn't want your day at the beach ruined by some m0ron with a death wish, sure the operators know this already.
.... and if he decides to make use of a home-made explosion device and walks into a crowd and detonates it? We will now need to look at all possibilities, right? Why focus on only one incident? How many other suicides do you know of on this ride that warrants new changes?

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master

Ticket prices go up, they will shut it down... as far as I know its already borderline in terms of its cost to run...

I wouldn't want my day ruined anywhere by a moron with a death wish, but I am not going to go out of my way to protect against that happening, otherwise I may as well just lock myself up in a room and never leave.

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
but surely, its possible to prevent casual suicide
In an overpopulated world with limited resources you would be bat shyte crazy to want to stop someone from committing suicide and doing their small part to help humanity survive longer.

Mila

Honorary Master
casual suicide.

Interesting concept. What is formal suicide?