...after drinking 17 pints in eight hours to soothe sore gums.
A man died from drinking vast amounts of cold water to relieve painful gums.
Andrew Thornton, 44, ‘ overloaded’ his body after drinking ten litres – more than 17 pints – in eight hours.
He had also been drinking at a similar rate for the previous two days as it helped to numb his mouth, an inquest heard.
The divorcee, who played football regularly and was physically active in his job as a warehouseman, thought he was being sensible by refusing to take painkillers for gum disease.
He was taken to hospital last December after collapsing at the home he shared with his mother Alice, 65, and her partner in Bradford.
Doctors initially thought he was drunk because he was staggering and slurring his words.
However his symptoms were caused by swelling in the brain brought on by excess fluid.
Doctors put salt back into his body to counter the effects of his water intake, but the following day he had a fatal heart attack.
Pathologist Dr Alan Padwell told the Halifax inquest: ‘He claimed drinking water relieved the problems with gum trouble, though he vomited a lot afterwards.
‘He had been drinking an awful lot of water and vomiting. He had overloaded with water.
‘Your body tells you how much you need. Eat and drink normally and your body will regulate itself.’