Man dies of water overdose

mercurial

MyBB Legend
...after drinking 17 pints in eight hours to soothe sore gums.

A man died from drinking vast amounts of cold water to relieve painful gums.

Andrew Thornton, 44, ‘ overloaded’ his body after drinking ten litres – more than 17 pints – in eight hours.

He had also been drinking at a similar rate for the previous two days as it helped to numb his mouth, an inquest heard.

The divorcee, who played football regularly and was physically active in his job as a warehouseman, thought he was being sensible by refusing to take painkillers for gum disease.

He was taken to hospital last December after collapsing at the home he shared with his mother Alice, 65, and her partner in Bradford.

Doctors initially thought he was drunk because he was staggering and slurring his words.

However his symptoms were caused by swelling in the brain brought on by excess fluid.

Doctors put salt back into his body to counter the effects of his water intake, but the following day he had a fatal heart attack.

Pathologist Dr Alan Padwell told the Halifax inquest: ‘He claimed drinking water relieved the problems with gum trouble, though he vomited a lot afterwards.

‘He had been drinking an awful lot of water and vomiting. He had overloaded with water.

‘Your body tells you how much you need. Eat and drink normally and your body will regulate itself.’

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
17 pints.:eek: I hope he used tap water, cause 17 pints premium water is not cheap. Not that the cost is important now.

semiautomatix

Honorary Master
I'm pretty sure I've been close to seventeen pints of beer in a 10 hour period ;p

DJ...

Banned
Just proves that water is more dangerous than beer then Timgaul.

onebrickshort

What a ******** If he added sodium to the water he would have been fine. Unfortunately by the time your body tells you you are thirsty, it's almost dehydrated. I drink 8 liters a day with sodium clorite drops.

Xarog

Honorary Master
What a ******** If he added sodium to the water he would have been fine. Unfortunately by the time your body tells you you are thirsty, it's almost dehydrated. I drink 8 liters a day with sodium clorite drops.
I somehow doubt that the human body is incapable of being a bit "dehydrated" for a few hours.

8 litres is insane. The fact that you have to add an additive just for your body to be able to cope with all that water just shows that your body wasn't designed to process that much water in a day.

nauseous_monkey

Expert Member
I somehow doubt that the human body is incapable of being a bit "dehydrated" for a few hours.

8 litres is insane. The fact that you have to add an additive just for your body to be able to cope with all that water just shows that your body wasn't designed to process that much water in a day.

roflmao

Agreed. People who drink even a liter of water a day are damn crazy. A glass of water when your thirsty is fine, but to force yourself to down 8 liters is the makings of a very de-ionized puppy.

gregmcc

Honorary Master
thought he was being sensible by refusing to take painkillers for gum disease

What a dumb ass.

Over hydrating the body is as bad a dehydration!

Zenbaas

Honorary Master
Agree with the last few posts.

Yup. Read a recent study that said that even drinking 2 L of water daily proved to have no beneficial affect, and that drinking when you were thirsty proved to be more than effective. Also the additional water didn't prove to have any beneficial effect wrt weight loss. It was quite interesting, although i think if you can stomach it, 2L per day is a good way to go. I can't:sick:
:D

mercurial

MyBB Legend
Yup. Read a recent study that said that even drinking 2 L of water daily proved to have no beneficial affect, and that drinking when you were thirsty proved to be more than effective. Also the additional water didn't prove to have any beneficial effect wrt weight loss. It was quite interesting, although i think if you can stomach it, 2L per day is a good way to go. I can't:sick:
:D

Ya, I think I may have posted a similar article a while back on here. I hardly ever drink water, but I noticed that it does give me a bit more energy at times.

semiautomatix

Honorary Master
Well I'll just have to wait for my toes to turn black and drop off then. It'll be a long wait.

You'll probably first notice it when you go into a diabetic coma. Not that I don't expect a person of your hardcoreness to just "walk it off" ;)