Man in Ndebele garb wants to sue Gautrain after he was barred from boarding train

schumi

Honorary Master
Gautrain faces possible court action after a man dressed in traditional Ndebele garb was not allowed to board a train because he was not dressed "appropriately".

More than a week ago, Thando Mahlangu was asked to leave the operator's Park Station in Johannesburg.

His lawyer, Benny Buthelezi, told Talk Radio 702's Bongani Bingwa on Thursday that Mahlangu had been humiliated.

More at: https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/...er-he-was-barred-from-boarding-train-20181108

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Well, the Gautrain CEO admitted on radio they were wrong, would be an easy case to win, if they don't settle.

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
Well, the Gautrain CEO admitted on radio they were wrong, would be an easy case to win, if they don't settle.
In Afrika it is preferable to waste money and fight losing battles in court wasting others money and the judiciaries time.

Agreed it would be idiotic not to settle quietly

RedViking

Honorary Master
So basically he is walking around in his woollies underwear. Decoliniser on a train.

Grant

Honorary Master
was not allowed to board a train because he was not dressed "appropriately".
fark me
i often fly wearing a t-shirt and boardshorts (or very similar) - and thats in bizniz class.
imagine gautrain had an airline - i would have to wear a 3 piece suit and top hat !!

Messugga

Honorary Master
fark me
i often fly wearing a t-shirt and boardshorts (or very similar) - and thats in bizniz class.
imagine gautrain had an airline - i would have to wear a 3 piece suit and top hat !!
He was also wearing a cow hide. I don't think the hat was the problem.

Sweevo

Honorary Master
I wonder what if one wears such traditional outfit at place of work? Would it be allowed?
If said work is a traditional spot, why not.
Personally I don't see the problem with this:

1541746475094.png

But perhaps the the stick could cause issues anywhere there's a security concern.

Mila

Honorary Master
Business. Actually related to the way he was dressed.
elaborate more?I have no problem with the way he dressed just asking about his claims.

Strippers should be allowed nekkid if they want to go for interviews as well.

surface

Expert Member
If said work is a traditional spot, why not.
Personally I don't see the problem with this:

But perhaps the the stick could cause issues anywhere there's a security concern.
I meant a non-traditional work place. What if someone works in a FNB branch front desk - would he/she be allowed to work like this? Or at pick n pay tills or at a creche? I am just curious about work policies and if they will override traditions.