Man jumps into sea at Muizenberg to escape armed youths

AntiGanda

Banned
Man jumps into sea at Muizenberg to escape armed youths
By: Jenna Etheridge, News24 2015-09-25 18:57

Cape Town – A man chased by armed youths on Muizenberg beach escaped after jumping into the icy ocean.

Jean-Paul Baron, a 38-year-old teacher, had been taking a leisurely stroll along a quieter stretch of the beach on Thursday afternoon.

Three boys, who looked to be between 12 and 15 years old, ran towards him and pulled out large knives.

Baron ran in the opposite direction, but they were quicker.

"I realised I wasn't going to get anywhere and turned into the sea after a few metres. I would rather take my chances with the water and with the sharks," he told News24 on Friday.

The boys followed him along the shore as he made his way towards a more populated area, wading in knee-deep water.

"After a short while, one of them took off his clothes until... just [his] underwear [remained] before he got into the water with his knife. I went further out to waist deep... water. I think he was afraid of the water."

Baron had his bag with a camera and other belongings slung around his shoulder.

The boys signalled for him to get out.

"I continued walking like that for half a kilometre or even a kilometre. There was nobody to scream to. Eventually they gave up following me and I got out the water when they were a safe distance away. I was in shock and could hardly breathe."

Baron, coughing as he spoke, said he had only recently returned to the country and was house-sitting in Muizenberg.

Beach attacks happen regularly

He had thought it a bid odd when he saw the three walking along the dunes and had just decided to turn back when they attacked him.

Muizenberg Community Police Forum chairperson Frank Bokhorst said attacks on the beach happened regularly ...

http://m.news24.com/news24/SouthAfrica/News/Man-jumps-into-sea-at-Muizenberg-to-escape-armed-youths-20150925

Flanders

Honorary Master
At a glance it would appear that the attackers were of the non-swimming variety.

konfab

Honorary Master
So who is with me in petitioning the SABC to put Jaws on continuous repeat for the next 4 years. :whistling: :twisted:

biometrics

Honorary Master
The beach by Strandfontein has been known to be dangerous for years.

It borders poor areas like Retreat, Grassy Park, Philippi, Mitchell's Plain and Khayelitsha

Arthur

Honorary Master
Time to don a little camera and the PD45 and take a stroll on the beach.

Grant

Honorary Master
None of the official shark spotters within sight I presume?
"I continued walking like that for half a kilometre or even a kilometre. There was nobody to scream to.
probably not.
it's my understanding they are tasked to watch the demarcated swimming area

Mephisto_Helix

Resident Postwhore
said he had only recently returned to the country

Frank Bokhorst said attacks on the beach happened regularly ...

Ah, what a good thing to come back to huh and then for it to just be shrugged off and told it's a regular thing. Shytepit.

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
Once again proof that crime is out of control and cANCer don't give a shyte because criminals if weren't committing crimes for a living would burden the cANCer for food and rebel against them.