Man loses R157,000 after FNB delivers his credit card to fraudster

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Click bait / misleading headline again.... :(:cautious: The man did not "lose" R157'000, he was robbed of R157'000.

The article clearly states that "FNB refunded the client for the stolen amount".

So no money was "lost"
I wonder if they paid ALL costs (bounced debit order fees and such)?

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Wow... R200 to collect a credit card in branch. Oh okaaaayyyy :eek:
It is R100 to collect it at the branch and when activating the card prior to the current card's expiry date it is another R100.

Yes, FNB's pricing schemes are insane.

Happy Days

How do you apply for a credit card in someone else's name? Surely the verification process includes ID, POA and other checks. Did he not have account with FNB previously? There's just so much "Huh?" with this incident.

Chuckmyster

Honorary Master
FNB always hand delivers my cards for free to my desk at work.
I'm a pleb on Gold and have never been charged for delivery, ever.
I have to log onto FNB website once the card arrives and manually state that the card is in my hand before the card is active. I then have to authorize that as well using my Thumb on the FNB Banking App on my phone
Otherwise card is useless and can only be used for cutting lines of coke.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
I have to log onto FNB website once the card arrives and manually state that the card is in my hand before the card is active. I then have to authorize that as well using my Thumb on the FNB Banking App on my phone
The article never said any FNB user is charged for card delivery, exactly the opposite.

It's a Discovery Card, done in partnership with FNB, so the processes might be different.

Happy Days

It's like you didn't even read the article...
Oh, I did! I helped my wife to apply for an online credit card and know the hoops that you have to jump through. My point is that the banks verify your details against their own records as well as Department of Home Affairs biometric database.

So the thief in question got hold of the victim's ID and address. How does the bank then deliver to a different address? The account was created using the victim's credit profile. You want to tell me that the info provided during the application was exactly the same as that on record? Not the same? Ok, please provide proof to us in order to complete the application.

Or is this a case where an account was created using only the victim's ID and nothing else?

Happy Days

If the victim created the account, how was it highjacked by a different person and how did they know about the account?

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Oh, I did! I helped my wife to apply for an online credit card and know the hoops that you have to jump through. My point is that the banks verify your details against their own records as well as Department of Home Affairs biometric database.

So the thief in question got hold of the victim's ID and address. How does the bank then deliver to a different address? The account was created using the victim's credit profile. You want to tell me that the info provided during the application was exactly the same as that on record? Not the same? Ok, please provide proof to us in order to complete the application.

Or is this a case where an account was created using only the victim's ID and nothing else?
That's the point of identity theft, and there is clearly lacking security processes from the provider, and thus this article exists.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
All my cards ever, including my renewal in December, was automatically activated once my ‘current’ card expired. I only have to go through the steps to do an early activation which is charged @ R 100 which is an uncomfortable situation when your card expires at the end of December. To quote them on requesting my new card.

Thank you for your query regarding your renewal card.

The system orders a renewal card 4-6 weeks before your current card expires.

The card is handed over to our courier company to contact you and schedule an appointment and preferred method of delivery of your card before the current card expires.

We have provided the DSV Couriers with the following contact numbers to contact you on, should your contact numbers have changed please advise us by return of this email, in order for us to update the courier company.

Please take note that should your request that your card is delivered to the branch, a fee of R100 will be charged to your account, also take note that when your card is ordered prior to the scheduled renewal card you will carry the cost for the replacement card fee.

Kindly see below extract from the pricing guide.

Card Replacement Fees:

Replacement Fee: R100
Knock & Drop (Standard) Delivery: Free
Branch or Personal (Scheduled) Delivery: R100
International Delivery: R600
The reason why I had to request a new card was due to them (DVS Couriers) sending me an SMS late in November that they will contact me within the next couple of business day for scheduling my new card's delivery. Only, never to be contacted and then I had to contact FNB just after Christmas to which they responded to me via email. They promptly delivered and well, charged me accordingly. Even though their system automatically orders a renewal card 4-6 weeks before your current card expires, I had to pay R100 for a replacement fee...

Chuckmyster

Honorary Master
All my cards ever, including my renewal in December, was automatically activated once my ‘current’ card expired. I only have to go through the steps to do an early activation which is charged @ R 100 which is an uncomfortable situation when your card expires at the end of December. To quote them on requesting my new card.

The reason why I had to request a new card was due to them (DVS Couriers) sending me an SMS late in November that they will contact me within the next couple of business day for scheduling my new card's delivery. Only, never to be contacted and then I had to contact FNB just after Christmas to which they responded to me via email. They promptly delivered and well, charged me accordingly. Even though their system automatically orders a renewal card 4-6 weeks before your current card expires, I had to pay R100 for a replacement fee...
I just checked now as I also did an early renewal 2 weeks ago and I see no R100 coming off my account on neither my Cheque nor my Credit account.

Chuckmyster

Honorary Master
The article never said any FNB user is charged for card delivery, exactly the opposite.

It's a Discovery Card, done in partnership with FNB, so the processes might be different.
Aaaah i see now, never heard of a Discovery card. I thought that was medical aid stuff. LOL

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I just checked now as I also did an early renewal 2 weeks ago and I see no R100 coming off my account on neither my Cheque nor my Credit account.
FNB is confusing if their system automatically renews 6-4 weeks before your current card expires that replacement fee must be void for 6 weeks before your current card’s renewal. If they automatically renew, then it isn’t a replacement card according to their terms anymore.

Just something I wish them to be transparent on because they engaged first with me in regard to the renewal.