Manchester City Banned From Champions League for 2 Seasons

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
This isn't going to stick for very long. City is financially backed by an entire country. A country with more money than FIFA/UEFA. And it has better lawyers, too.
Are you saying they'll bribe their way? because if evidence is compelling and the process is transparent... Then...

Praemon

Expert Member
This thread has actually been surprisingly level-headed, barring one or two trolls taking a swipe. Social media on the other hand is an absolute cesspool.

You've got to feel for the players and staff though. They didn't do anything wrong, yet they're now stuck in a situation where the one competition they want to win as a professional may now be put out of reach (at least in the short term).

I see Pep is likely to see out his contract, and some players like Sterling have already mentioned via their agent that they're likely to stay. I think the biggest impact will be on recruitment if the ban is upheld, but I guess it's too early to tell what will happen until the court cases are over in the coming weeks (or maybe months).

The Voice

Executive Member
Are you saying they'll bribe their way? because if evidence is compelling and the process is transparent... Then...
Well, no. Sheikh Mansour on his own has a net worth of about $30 billion. The family (country) already has one of the best legal teams in the profession, so in that case they'll just throw more money at it. FIFA/UEFA we know are corrupt, but I don't think City Football Group will want to go down that road (again?), given how everything they've done to this point has already been exposed. So, I reckon they have the power to have this overturned legally. Though, I'm not sure what angle they're going to use, because on paper they're pretty screwed. They can't pretend over 3TB of evidence just doesn't exist.

£25 million, plus an estimated £170 million lost from no CL over 2 seasons, still stings no matter how much money you have. And City's problem is that most of it was the Sheikh's, not the club's. If their appeal fails, City is effectively dead in the water. And if the FA does drop them down to League 2, then they really are done for.

The Voice

Executive Member
This thread has actually been surprisingly level-headed, barring one or two trolls taking a swipe. Social media on the other hand is an absolute cesspool.

You've got to feel for the players and staff though. They didn't do anything wrong, yet they're now stuck in a situation where the one competition they want to win as a professional may now be put out of reach (at least in the short term).

I see Pep is likely to see out his contract, and some players like Sterling have already mentioned via their agent that they're likely to stay. I think the biggest impact will be on recruitment if the ban is upheld, but I guess it's too early to tell what will happen until the court cases are over in the coming weeks (or maybe months).
For that reason alone I expect them to go all in while they're still in the competition this season. The league is going to Anfield already, and finishing in the top 4 could potentially mean nothing, so what have they got to lose? Play fringe players in the league, and have a fit squad for the rest of the CL.

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
For that reason alone I expect them to go all in while they're still in the competition this season. The league is going to Anfield already, and finishing in the top 4 could potentially mean nothing, so what have they got to lose? Play fringe players in the league, and have a fit squad for the rest of the CL.
At this stage top 4 is guaranteed but not the CL.

The Voice

Executive Member
At this stage top 4 is guaranteed but not the CL.
Yeah they'll finish there regardless, but without the reward of a CL spot it's pretty pointless. They're not going to win the league this year, so it's not even a consolation.

thestaggy

Honorary Master
Forget it we not making top 5 this season
My reply was going to be that we can now sit and watch both Spurs and United do their best to let Sheffield in to the CL.

Although it looks like Mou has got Spurs sorted out and they will probably end up 4th. Everton surging too.