Mandela film not doing well outside South Africa

antowan

Honorary Master
http://za.omg.yahoo.com/news/why-hasn-t-mandela-long-walk-freedom-found-235052670.html

The Nelson Mandela biopic “Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom” has failed to find a broad audience or generate the awards traction that many observers foresaw prior to its release in early December.

The Weinstein Company release has taken in just over $7.7 million since Nov. 29 and is about to be crowded out of the marketplace by awards hopefuls and new releases. TWC cut its screen count back from 1,010 to 363 this past weekend

Hamster

Resident Rodent
If they re-screen it in 5 years time it would make more money. For now everybody is tired of the Mandela thing. It's done, it's over, not a lot of people really care anymore.

Ekstasis

Honorary Master
Has anyone here seen this movie? I'd like to see their opinion on it.
Yes, just finished watching it 5mins ago. I found it very informative actually with odd detail here and there that came as a surprise to me.

The acting was very good imo

Kaleb

Expert Member
Really hard for this film to make its money back when its competing alongside Peter Jackson's film The Hobbit 2 as well as Martin Scorsese's Wolf of Wall Street,they released it at the wrong time of the year.

Seriously

Honorary Master
Madiba is now gone so the novelty is wearing off. There are no one after him to stand in his footsteps let alone his shoes! Sad but true. The South African bargaining chip is no more.

skimread

Honorary Master
Only a bad screener is out. I'll wait for the proper version

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
I believe the film has a lot of content about Winnie and so I will not be watching it. She is and always has been a very nasty piece of work. She should have married Mugabe instead.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Really hard for this film to make its money back when its competing alongside Peter Jackson's film The Hobbit 2 as well as Martin Scorsese's Wolf of Wall Street,they released it at the wrong time of the year.

Didn't it start a few weeks before those? I mean here in good ol' RSA the Madiba film has been showing for over a month now.

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
I believe the film has a lot of content about Winnie and so I will not be watching it. She is and always has been a very nasty piece of work. She should have married Mugabe instead.

Apparently it doesn't shy away from her bad side, so maybe reconsider?

genetic

Honorary Master
If they re-screen it in 5 years time it would make more money. For now everybody is tired of the Mandela thing. It's done, it's over, not a lot of people really care anymore.

This. Everyone is over it now.

ShaunSA

Derailment Squad
Mandela was over for the rotw a long time ago. Yes the world media and politicians/celebrities kept him in the limelight. But I doubt the "man in the street worldwide" actually gave a flying furk.

d0b33

Honorary Master
I watched it, it was good. But i did not expect it to do well outside SA, biopics rarely do well.