Mantashe: SA will get nuclear at a cost it can afford

Unhappy438

Honorary Master

Techne

Honorary Master
We have too many natural disasters in South Africa for nuclear energy.

Arthur

Honorary Master
I'm all for implementing safe Gen III or preferably Gen IV nuclear power in SA, ideally through the private sector. If the ANC government in their stubbornness and cronyism push this through and there's proper engineering and oversight, this can turn out to be a real boon and gift to SA and future generations (no pun intended).

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
The world is going to need a lot more Nuclear Power going forward.
It's actually the key to solving the climate crisis problem.
Nuclear is the ultimate green energy, and the energy intensive solution with the smallest footprint.
Yes, it's expensive, but that's because it can't cut corners.
4th Generation Nuclear generation is incredibly safe and has very little waste (if any at all).

The MAIN problem in South Africa is building it without government corruption.
I say they should leave it to third party private industry with the necessary Nuclear oversight.
We already have a very good nuclear regulatory agency.
I've refuted your statement multiple times, and you've yet to prove your assertion.
As time goes by, the argument for nuclear becomes weaker and weaker.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
I've refuted your statement multiple times, and you've yet to prove your assertion.
As time goes by, the argument for nuclear becomes weaker and weaker.
Lol you've proven nothing. Some very wishful thinking and retrofitting there. Science is not on your side. Just desperate straw grabbing.

Techne

Honorary Master
If they can get Thorium reactors going then yes. Potential to be much safer and much more energy available compared to Uranium.

TysonRoux

Executive Member
Putin must have sent Zupta a friendly reminder that he's still waiting for "returns" on the bribe money paid.

shanezn186

Nuclear reactors are awesome! Building and operating one in SA of all places? LOL!!!!

Zoomzoom

Executive Member
We have Koeberg
Yeah look at Koeberg.

Completely destroyed the ecosystem in the sea around the place because of pumping out warm water into the cold ocean.

Built on a fault line.

Started the whole loadshedding fiasco after some numpty dropped a bolt into the generator.

Needs to be decommissioned.

grok

Honorary Master
Nothing wrong with nuclear as a technology, everything wrong in letting the ANC run with it. Why now suddenly going to do everything responsibly? Why not somma do that from the start like expected of normal people?

They couldn't even make a success of coal, turned everything into corruption, never mind their uberdumkopf ex leadah who tried to hijack nuclear like so many other state capture items.

I'd not trust Mantashe & his ilk to wash my car, never mind run something like nuclear.