Many ISPs will not use the new fibre cable to America

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
You mean... not yet. I'm sure they will pick up capacity in time. It takes some time for the market to settle and for all the new options to filter down.

Shaun108

Executive Member
I wish more ISP's would use this cable... PoE and Diablo has servers in Brazil which will mean a lower ping for me.

ambo

Expert Member
I wish more ISP's would use this cable... PoE and Diablo has servers in Brazil which will mean a lower ping for me.
That is a fairly narrow use case. Part of the reason why the ISPs are not excited about this cable is the small number of users that will benefit.

It's great that we can get 220ms to Miami but South American and the Southern USA accounts for a very small percentage of traffic in South African networks. Places like New York which account for way more traffic are another 35ms away. This means a total latency of almost 260ms. Compared with the current latency of 230ms via Europe - it doesn't seem very attractive.

ISPs would need to invest in significant infrastructure to gain the benefit of this latency without ending up with much worse latency to many other destinations.

Oridjinn

You're interviewing Tier 2 ISP's about the usage of a submarine cable? These guys go for lowest price/Mb, who the T1 provider is and how they route traffic means little to nothing to them. Telkom, the only T1 listed, primarily use SAT3 and have far greater issues than looking at competetive routes to the Americas.

ambo

Expert Member
You're interviewing Tier 2 ISP's about the usage of a submarine cable? These guys go for lowest price/Mb, who the T1 provider is and how they route traffic means little to nothing to them. Telkom, the only T1 listed, primarily use SAT3 and have far greater issues than looking at competetive routes to the Americas.
That is partially correct.

Telkom is not the only tier 1 network in South Africa, regardless of which definition you might use for network tiers. We have had many others in that space for more than 10 years now.

To get value out of this cable system you need to be utilising it directly as part of a transcontinental network. It's less useful - as you say - to ISPs buying wholesale internet access. Yet, this is who it is currently being marketed to.

Chris.Geerdts

Expert Member
For customers there are obvious benefits in shaving off millisecs but from ISPs pov it is all about economics, and procuring big pipes to squeeze down prices. We need to create customer awareness as that will drive the change.

Ideally, one ISP could procure a big chunk of bandwidth at a good deal and then re-sell some of it to the others to cover the cost.