Votes: 1 2.9%
  • No

Votes: 31 88.6%
  • Unsure

Votes: 3 8.6%

• Total voters

Cara

Expert Member
Jimmy Manyi, the government spokesman, said yesterday he will take control of the state's R1-billion advertising budget - and where he spends the money will depend in part on how well the media "tell the truth" about service delivery.

Jimmy Manyi says he will spend the government's advertising budget based on how well media publications report on government service delivery according to Time's Live article.

He said the plan was not designed to penalise critical mainstream news media, but that placement would be influenced by the extent to which they carried the government's message.

Many companies work this way but man you don't come out and say something like this as a government spokesperson.

It's surprising that government have given Manyi a platform to speak from. Surely there is someone more tactful and less divisive for the job?

Last edited:

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
I would like to know why the guavamint has a R1b ad spend ffs?.. what exactly are the advertising that much for?

Kaine

Expert Member
have to agree, why the hell does the government need to advertise? its not like we have a choice in making use of them :(

McSack

Executive Member
There are certain legislative reasons that gov has to use public advertising for. One beelionz does seem excessive though

TJ99

Honorary Master
LOL @ "Tell the truth". Not exactly the government's strong suit either.

This sounds more like the tactics used to get people to "confess" their sins or crimes in the Crusades/Inquisition/French Revolution/Russian Revolution etc. only slightly less bloody.

encrypted

R1 for the marketer, R1 for me, R1 for my friend, R1 for my other friend, R1 for my other friend, R1 for my other friend.. quickly adds up to a billion

DCS

have to agree, why the hell does the government need to advertise? its not like we have a choice in making use of them :(

Advertising? No... I think a more apt term would be propaganda.

grok

Honorary Master
Seems government isn't so sure about beating the press into submission by legislation anymore, so now they're trying blackmail.
Way to go ANC, can you sink any lower?

knobshine

Seems government isn't so sure about beating the press into submission by legislation anymore, so now they're trying blackmail.
Way to go ANC, can you sink any lower?

I see it as more of a bribe.
"We have one billion rand up for grabs, say what we want you to say (and nothing else) and you can have some."

Flanders

Honorary Master
The earth needs to swallow this Manyi pr1ck, sooner rather than later. If this isn't a direct threat, what is?

I love this bit too; about that other class-a bell end called Essop Pahad:

In 2007, when relations between the government and the media were at a low, then minister in the presidency Essop Pahad threatened to withdraw government advertising from the Sunday Times after the newspaper revealed that then minister of health Manto Tshabalala-Msimang had been convicted of theft while working as a doctor in Botswana.

There isn't anything these scabs won't try, is there?

Why don't you ANC dogs trot along and go advertise on your own unbiased platform, The New Age? Leave the people with moral fibre out of it. Thanks.

BBSA

Honorary Master
OK, so to determine which media group is the most truthful you just look at which one receive the lowest ad spend from government;)

porchrat

Honorary Master
I see it as more of a bribe.
"We have one billion rand up for grabs, say what we want you to say (and nothing else) and you can have some."

Agreed.

The worst of it is we're seeing this sort of behaviour just ahead of the Protection of Information Bill going to parliament. Very ominous.

Nothxkbi

Banned
That's all very fine and well towards ensuring the media are balanced and fair. But tell us Mr Manyi, who's going to monitor you and your budget decisions to ensure they are balanced and fair? Or does the buck simply stop with you and the ANC overlords? Otherwise this is nothing more than government sponsored media control and blackmail, pure and simple.

Last edited:

marine1

Honorary Master
1 billion? Yeah right this will be used to buy all the luxury items Mr Manyi wants.

kat06sa

Expert Member
Finally, The New Age (Guptas) will have more than 4 adverts in their entire newspaper.

And I'm not joking about the ad's in The New Age. Picked up a copy and only found a Telkom ad in the main edition. And a few vodacom ads in the business section.

Alestorm

Expert Member
OK, so to determine which media group is the most truthful you just look at which one receive the lowest ad spend from government;)

Haha ye, newspapers should start bragging about how little they get from government if they want credibility. Would be awesome and I'd very happily support any paper doing it.