Marriage Registration Process

SLi-Man

Hi all,

I need some advice.

I got married almost 6 months ago and my marriage is still not registered.
When I go to the home affairs website to check my marital status I am still listed as single.
Usually it takes a few weeks from what I can gather.

All the documents were supplied but 6 months down the road still nothing.
I'm thinking that it probably got lost... :confused:

I still have a the Abridged certificate and a copy of the original unabridged certificate.

Any ideas on what to do from here on?

Nick333

Honorary Master
Hi all,

I need some advice.

When I go to the home affairs website to check my marital status I am still listed as single.

I still have a the Abridged certificate and a copy of the original unabridged certificate.

The universe is telling you to get an annulment.

Beylie

Hmmm... did mine via a lawyer and it took almost 3 months. How'd you go about registration?

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
It takes about 6 months.

There is a number you can sms your ID and it will give you your status.

Don't stress about it though... its legal from the moment you sign the papers.

SLi-Man

Hmmm... did mine via a lawyer and it took almost 3 months. How'd you go about registration?
We had a lawyer that did the contract as well as the registration on her part and then our marriage officer supplied the documentation to the home affairs office. Maybe I will give it a few extra months... lol

SLi-Man

It takes about 6 months.

There is a number you can sms your ID and it will give you your status.

Don't stress about it though... its legal from the moment you sign the papers.
Thanks, I will keep checking the website from time to time.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Hi all,
I need some advice.
SLi-Man, that sounds a bit long. I am a marriage officer in Alberton and they normally get registered a lot faster than that.
Which branch of Home Affairs is this?
Did you contact the marriage officer who did your wedding? Did he in fact lodge the documents? (He is supposed to lodge them within three days).
Did he give you a copy of the Form BI-30 (The one in the marriage register book?)
he is supposed to give you a copy of that AS WELL AS your marriage certificate as proof of your marriage.

SLi-Man

SLi-Man, that sounds a bit long. I am a marriage officer in Alberton and they normally get registered a lot faster than that.
Did you contact the marriage officer who did your wedding? Did he in fact lodge the documents? (He is supposed to lodge them within three days).
Did he give you a copy of the Form BI-30 (The one in the marriage register book?)
he is supposed to give you a copy of that AS WELL AS your marriage certificate as proof of your marriage.
Hi Garyvdh,

This is at Malmesbury Home Affairs branch.
I have all the above mentioned documents, and verified with the marriage officer that the documents were given in.

Friggs

Yeah when I got married it was updated on the site within about 2 or 3 weeks max. Our marriage officer lodge it the next day.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Hi Garyvdh,

This is at Malmesbury Home Affairs branch.
I have all the above mentioned documents, and verified with the marriage officer that the documents were given in.
OK then yeah.. .as the guys said... maybe they are just taking a bit long.
Give it some time, and keep checking using the website (in Internet Explorer) and the SMS line.
If you still get no luck ask to speak to the Marriage Officer at the branch.

mc721221

Hi all,

I need some advice.

Mine took 5 days :)

janplank

Damn! Waiting almost 2 years now! Better find out what is cooking at home affairs!

Lilianv

Hi Guys I have a major problem! I got married in 1987n Benoni Court
Marriage was very bad, i left very fast! Now it is a problem with my unnuity, they refuse to pay me out since home affairs and sars have different surnames! Home afairs cannot pick up any marriage and this man is also single where apparantly he passed away 10 years ago! After a whole lot of calls and hours at gome affairs I came to the conclusiob that the original certificate was not filed at home affairs,?!!
What to do to solve this problem?