• Improved driveability, decent highway performance & relaxed cruiseability
• Sweet 6-speed manual gearbox is a joy to use
• Fuel-efficient nature, whether in the city or on the highway
• Totally worth the price premium over the 1.3L MJD
• BS6 version is in the works. Confirmed

What you won't:

• Not an enthusiast’s choice of diesel engine. “Tame” instead of aggressive
• Hyundai’s creamy 1.6L CRDi remains the segment benchmark
• Weirdly, the price premium (over 1.3L Ciaz) differs by the variant! Ridiculous
• Can cost a steep 1.5+ lakh rupees over the 1.5L petrol. Gap will increase with BS6
• No automatic gearbox mated to it. Competition offers Diesel + AT combo
• No SHVS system (yet) to further boost fuel economy
• Might miss the April ‘20 BS6 deadline by 9 – 12 months

This is our 1st pure engine review, but it’s a big moment when the most dominant carmaker in India comes up with a new diesel engine for the mainstream segments.

Maruti’s 1st attempt at a diesel engine (in the Celerio) was a disaster, yet this latest one is very competent, delivering just what the mass market wants.

Recently, Maruti also introduced a new 1.5L petrol, which has improved in every way over the old 1.4L petrol. You could say that Maruti is far from complacent. That said, neither of these new engines is the segment best. Like most of Maruti’s cars, they serve the purpose, but aren’t segment-toppers.

The “borrowed” 1.3L diesel was feeling way too old & Maruti knew it. With this introduction, the company will save on the royalties paid to Fiat too (for the 1.3L MJD).

Many customers shop on specs and that's where the 1.5L would give them an advantage as compared to a small "1.3" in the brochure.

After the Ciaz, the Ertiga too has gotten this 1.5L diesel in all variants, except the base.

In terms of price, the Ciaz 1.5L costs Rs. 17,000 more in the Delta variant (as compared to the 1.3L), Rs. 47,000 in the Zeta and Rs. 36,000 in the Alpha.

In the Ertiga, the 1.5L diesel carries a consistent Rs. 29,000 premium. At this small price difference, it’s a no brainer to pick the bigger 1.5L motor.

However, we hate the fact that the price differs by the variant in the Ciaz. This is fleecing higher-variant customers.

The new diesel is also likely to make its way to the Vitara Brezza and S-Cross.

Yes, it will be coming in BS6 form too, although Maruti is likely to miss the April 2020 deadline by 9 - 12 months. A key vendor of Maruti has confirmed to us that BS6 development & compliance are underway. And this engine deserves it too - it has the potential to do really well in the market.

Read the full review at the link below:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/211426-maruti-1-5l-diesel-official-review-ciaz-ertiga.html

gamer16

Honorary Master
Hmmm

Never thought I'd see an engine review that does not contain power and torque figures.

EDIT:

It's in the full review

The 1,498cc diesel develops 94 BHP @ 4,000 rpm and 225 Nm @ 1,500 - 2,500 rpm. For the sake of comparison, the 1.3 MJD VGT develops 89 BHP @ 4,000 rpm and 200 Nm @ 1,750 rpm. That is not a big jump up in specs, nor is this anywhere close to the segment benchmarks. Do note that the 1.5D uses a fixed geometry turbo (FGT). A bigger variable geometry turbo in the future could give it another 20 horses easily.
EDIT2: Damn what a comprehensive review, I urge you to go have a look at the full review.

Last edited:

BrandonSmith

The 1.5L offers superior driveability than the Fiat-sourced 1.3L. It wakes up @ 1,500 rpm and there is a reason for that – peak torque starts at exactly this rpm level. The Ciaz diesel passes the 2nd gear speed breaker test with no problem at all. Forget the speed breaker test, this car can even move from a standstill in 2nd gear. Within the city, the engine has a very tractable nature and you won't be shifting gears too often. Depending on the speed & traffic density, you could use 2nd or 3rd gear like an automatic, without needing to downshift or upshift. Yes, at the absolute bottom-end (say ~1,200 rpm), this engine still hasn't woken up as compared to Honda's 1.5 diesel or Renault-Nissan's 84 BHP DCi. Maruti Suzuki XL6 1.5L really gets it going post 1,500 rpm. Still, in 1st & 2nd gears (i.e. in city traffic), you won’t find it dead below 1,500 rpm due to the shorter gearing. On the other hand, if you are in the taller 3rd gear at 1,200 rpm, you’ll find the engine to be dead & will need to be patient. In this situation, you have 2 options if you desire instant go = wait for a couple of seconds for the revs to climb or downshift.

Ivan Leon

Expert Member
Damn what a comprehensive review, I urge you to go have a look at the full review.
Team-BHP have the BEST and most detailed car reviews I have ever read on ANY motoring blog - their in-depth analysis, comprehensive picture galleries & the sheer amount of detail they go into are unrivalled & unparalleled.

gamer16

Honorary Master
Team-BHP have the BEST and most detailed car reviews I have ever read on ANY motoring blog - their in-depth analysis, comprehensive picture galleries & the sheer amount of detail they go into are unrivalled & unparalleled.
I noticed, I'll be spending the next few months reading all of it.