Maruti Suzuki Swift & Datsun Go Fail NCAP Crash Tests

Ivan Leon

Expert Member
The popular Maruti Suzuki Swift and the Datsun Go have failed the latest round of Indian crash tests carried out by Global NCAP.

The Go is an entry-level model, which competes with Maruti Suzuki's Alto800 and Hyundai Eon, while the Swift is positioned as a more premium hatchback.

The Swift has received a zero star rating in the 64km/h frontal collision test. Two variants of the car were tested - one exported by Maruti to Latin America and another which sells as the base variant here in India.

Latin American market regulations mean that car's base variant too has airbags/ABS, while in India neither is standard.

Global NCAP's testing protocol mandates that all cars (including base variants) must carry at least airbags and ABS to get its certification; and so on that count alone the Indian Swift model failed the test even before the crash happened.

The crash analysis showed the crash-test-dummies having sustained near-fatal injuries, more so in the case of the driver. The car's structural integrity was also deemed as unstable.

And this is a key point, given the made-in-Europe Swift has a much sturdier structure and had achieved a 5-Star crash certification from Euro-NCAP.

The Latin American export Swift got a 3-Star rating, chiefly due to the presence of airbags/ABS, which meant fewer injuries to the crash-test-dummies. But structurally that car performed similarly to the other Swift.

But it isn't just about adding airbags or ABS, as the Datsun Go's crash test shows. The car's body shell disintegrated severely during the same kind of test.

Of course the lack of airbags further compounded the potential injuries. The driver and passenger dummies sustained fatal injuries to the head, torso and legs.

http://auto.ndtv.com/news/now-maruti-swift-datsun-go-fail-ncap-crash-tests-688031

Watch the video clip here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGspAV8BpR0

Last edited:

cr@zydude

Executive Member
Our swifts have airbags and abs brakes. The Go has neither though.

Pitbull

Verboten
So if you buy a Budget car for whatever reason, you're safety conscious?

Really?

HapticSimian

Honorary Master
So if you buy a Budget car for whatever reason, you're safety conscious?

Really?
I think it's shameful from the manufacturers' side, really. People who buy tin cans like these likely don't count themselves among the brightest pebbles on the beach, but they will be spending money on a brand-name product, and they'll have an expectation of being protected to some degree. Stupid is as stupid does though, I suppose.

Pitbull

Verboten
I think it's shameful from the manufacturers' side, really. People who buy tin cans like these likely don't count themselves among the brightest pebbles on the beach, but they will be spending money on a brand-name product, and they'll have an expectation of being protected to some degree. Stupid is as stupid does though, I suppose.
I get that 100%.

Look at the costs of cars and their parts. If you want to save on production to sell a vehicle, the most costly items are the safety features unfortunately. If people want a cheaper drivable car, they have to compromise safety that is unfortunately how it is. I don't agree with it, but that is how it is.

Electric

Honorary Master
It doesn't have to be like that though.
They should stop making such stupid profits.

Maverick Jester

The Special One
I get that 100%.

Look at the costs of cars and their parts. If you want to save on production to sell a vehicle, the most costly items are the safety features unfortunately. If people want a cheaper drivable car, they have to compromise safety that is unfortunately how it is. I don't agree with it, but that is how it is.
It's a pretty disgusting approach, by applying cost-benefit analysis at the expense of safety. But, I suppose the particular market also shares the blame- they'd never get away with this in Europe or the US.

konfab

Honorary Master
It's a pretty disgusting approach, by applying cost-benefit analysis at the expense of safety. But, I suppose the particular market also shares the blame- they'd never get away with this in Europe or the US.
There is always a cost benefit, even when it comes to premium vehicles.

HapticSimian

Honorary Master
It is, but at least there are some manufacturers shifting to a more humanitarian approach. The Indian-built variants of the VW Polo sedan which didn't have air bags fitted - and hence also failed initially - were dropped from the line-up, and those so equipped scored 4/5 stars. If they'd had ESP as standard they would've scored 5/5.

I realise the Polo's a couple of tiers up on these little boxes, but I don't know how the powers that be at some of these manufacturers sleep at night. :(

Ivan Leon

Expert Member
A 2014 / 2015 vehicle NOT fitted with at least a driver & passenger air-bag and ABS (at the very least) should be prohibited from being imported / manufactured and offered for sale in South Africa.

Even 'basic transportation' cars, such as the ubiquitous VW CitiGolf, were eventually offered here in SA with a driver's side air-bag, before they were replaced by the Polo Vivo (which has two air-bags fitted as standard).

With all the progress in vehicle design world-wide since then, it is totally incomprehensible that manufacturers STILL produce models WITHOUT such basic safety features being implemented.

For example, the Datsun GO has neither ABS or air-bags - not in ANY model specification, and even has 'el-cheapo' manually adjustable seat-belts fitted in the rear as a further 'cost-cutting' measure (as seen in the Indian-spec models).

The consequences of this, plus using thinner metal body panels compared to European / Japanese sourced equivalent models, can plainly be seen in the earlier crash test videos of these Indian-sourced models such as the Ford Figo, Hyundai 110, Suzuki Alto, Tata Nano & VW Polo:

http://auto.ndtv.com/news/india-s-best-selling-cars-fail-global-ncap-safety-test-379280

Global NCAP chose the entry-level version of each model and as a result none were fitted with air bags as standard.

Max Mosley, Chairman of Global NCAP, said, "India is now a major global market and production centre for small cars, so it's worrying to see levels of safety that are 20 years behind the five-star standards now common in Europe and North America."

He went on to say that the poor structural integrity and the absence of air-bags are putting the lives of Indian consumers at risk.

In the Suzuki-Maruti Alto 800, the Tata Nano and the Hyundai i10, the vehicle structures proved inadequate and collapsed to varying degrees, resulting in high risks of life-threatening injuries to the occupants.

The extent of the structural weaknesses in these models were such that fitting air-bags would not be effective in reducing the risk of serious injury.

The Ford Figo and Volkswagen Polo had structures that remained stable - and, therefore, with air-bags fitted, protection for the driver and front passenger would be much improved.

Coinciding with the Global NCAP tests, Volkswagen has decided to withdraw the non-air-bag version of the Polo from sale in India.

Because of this, Global NCAP agreed to a request from VW to assess a version of the Polo that has two air-bags fitted as standard as from now.

Here is a video clip from NDTV of the results:

http://www.ndtv.com/video/player/news/global-ncap-car-crash-test-results-for-india-year-1/343479

Last edited:

Bismuth

Expert Member
Damn, was looking at the GO, but NOT when I saw the way the passenger compartment folded up and virtually crushed the front passengers, and that at only 65km/h! :eek:

B

Ivan Leon

Expert Member
Damn, was looking at the GO, but NOT when I saw the way the passenger compartment folded up and virtually crushed the front passengers, and that at only 65km/h! :eek:

B
When you compare the structural integrity of the cabin of the Ford Figo & VW Polo against that of the Datsun GO, a more modern design, you expect it to have MORE crash protection & rigidity, and not crumple like a Blue Bull supporter crushing a Black Label tin in his hand!

Electric

Honorary Master
When you compare the structural integrity of the cabin of the Ford Figo & VW Polo against that of the Datsun GO, a more modern design, you expect it to have MORE crash protection & rigidity, and not crumple like a Blue Bull supporter crushing a Black Label tin in his hand!
Apple iPhone 6S

Modern technology, modern materials, bends like a coke can.

They are constantly trying to lighten cars at the expense of safety.
Or to make a larger profit.

HapticSimian

Honorary Master
Apple iPhone 6S

That's a little simplistic. Lighter doesn't automatically mean less safe; this has more to do with lacking designs, produced (badly) from comparatively poor materials.

Bismuth

Expert Member
:D at the text in Bold!

I would've thought so, but even if the GO had airbags, I don't think it would make much a difference. If it did, then you would have dashboard, steering wheel AND airbags shoved into your chest. I don't think an airbag here would afford ANY extra protection. As I understand it, airbags only really help if the passenger compartment stays intact for the most part, with minimal flexing/intrusion.

Apple iPhone 6S

Indeed, but all the energy in an impact should be absorbed by the engine and engine bay, with the GO this is not the case, the whole friggin' car absorbs the impact energy, and happily transfers it to the passenger compartment. An accident at 80km/h+, and the paramedics will need a spatula.

As much as it goes against my grain, I would say NOT wearing your seatbelt in the GO vastly improves your chance of survival...

B

Electric

Honorary Master
That's a little simplistic. Lighter doesn't automatically mean less safe; this has more to do with lacking designs, produced (badly) from comparatively poor materials.
Sorry I didn't mention the build quality and materials but that was my point, poor materials.

TehStranger

Executive Member
Worrying stuff, wouldn't trust anyone I cared about in a Datsun Go(-to-the-morgue).

Pitbull

Verboten
Worrying stuff, wouldn't trust anyone I cared about in a Datsun Go(-to-the-morgue).
20th best sold vehicle for the last month on new car sales.

Full and detailed list here

TOP SELLING VEHICLES - OCTOBER 2014

1. Volkswagen Polo Vivo - 3491

2. Toyota Hilux - 3421

3. Ford Ranger - 3045

4. Toyota Corolla/Auris/Quest - 2398

5. Volkswagen Polo - 2333

6. Mercedes C-Class - 1789

7. Nissan NP200 - 1675

8. Toyota Etios - 1671

9. Chevrolet Utility - 1445

10. Toyota Quantum - 1264