Mass evacuation of SA townships to stop spread of coronavirus

Daruk

Honorary Master
This is a brain dead idea.
So these people have a shack in nerens nie, but it's their shack. They have amassed a few items of furniture and maybe a TV, fridge and hotplate. Now they are going to be uprooted and left to wonder if their home will be there and whether it will still be theirs when this is over. How would you feel as an already marginalised person?

Mila

Honorary Master
So these people have a shack in nerens nie, but it's their shack. They have amassed a few items of furniture and maybe a TV, fridge and hotplate. Now they are going to be uprooted and left to wonder if their home will be there and whether it will still be theirs when this is over. How would you feel as an already marginalised person?
You would think they have not learned from the past.
Wasn’t there an article a month ago about people still crying about being born to people who was displaced.

why do they suddenly care?
Because the world is watching?

i think so.

thechamp

Honorary Master
I don't think they will evacuate the whole township, think of it this way, Diepsloot, it has RDP houses and a whole lot of backyard shacks, start by removing the backyard dwellers because they are the cause of congestion and the place will look much better, same with many other townships like Zandspruit and Alexandra. It's a workable solution even though it will still have its challenges.

It is also a chance for government to resettle people, just as long as they can make sure that the landlord does not get new tenants to fill the place up again.

thechamp

Honorary Master
You would think they have not learned from the past.
Wasn’t there an article a month ago about people still crying about being born to people who was displaced.

why do they suddenly care?
Because the world is watching?

i think so.
Because this exactly the same thing the apartheid government was doing?

ForceFate

Honorary Master
I don't think they will evacuate the whole township, think of it this way, Diepsloot, it has RDP houses and a whole lot of backyard shacks, start by removing the backyard dwellers because they are the cause of congestion and the place will look much better, same with many other townships like Zandspruit and Alexandra. It's a workable solution even though it will still have its challenges.

It is also a chance for government to resettle people, just as long as they can make sure that the landlord does not get new tenants to fill the place up again.
Unworkable in my opinion, as it means moving people away from their workplaces and in some cases, making it impossible for them to get jobs. Also, the task of ensuring landlords don't get new tenants into the empty backrooms would require additional resources, something we can't afford at this point.

thechamp

Honorary Master
Unworkable in my opinion, as it means moving people away from their workplaces and in some cases, making it impossible for them to get jobs. Also, the task of ensuring landlords don't get new tenants into the empty backrooms would require additional resources, something we can't afford at this point.
Yeah, there would be plenty of challenges to move people permanently but I think steps should still be take to decongest the areas, could even be done voluntarily if that helps.

The municipalities have lots of places they can put up people.

thechamp

Honorary Master
They should move them into the empty classrooms in the nearby schools.
There are people who have already taken it upon themselves to move into empty city properties in Joburg, we don't even need schools, the cities should provide shelter, they have the means.

Compton_effect

Honorary Master
Answer - it's in the article.
Gee - no **** Watson. Land from Public Works and other state entities...
That could be anywhere. It could be Walter Sisulu Botanical Gardens or Melville Koppies Nature Reserve for all we know. A lot of room for people to misuse this to fit their agendas.

Daruk

Honorary Master
Gee - no **** Watson. Land from Public Works and other state entities...
That could be anywhere. It could be Walter Sisulu Botanical Gardens or Melville Koppies Nature Reserve for all we know. A lot of room for people to misuse this to fit their agendas.
People will use this to fit their agenda, I would think that's almost a given.

Düber

State of disaster ------------------------> State of emergency...