Mass evacuation of SA townships to stop spread of coronavirus

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Yeah, there would be plenty of challenges to move people permanently but I think steps should still be take to decongest the areas, could even be done voluntarily if that helps.

The municipalities have lots of places they can put up people.
Ex landlords go back and build more shacks. You need political will and large amounts of money to carry out a task as large and challenging. Municipalities are just not equipped for it.

daveza

Honorary Master
Yup - you move them away you better take the shacks with them and put spikes in the ground or tomorrow will look just like today.

quovadis

Expert Member
If this was in response to an environmental threat, sure. But the virus moves with people or does the govt seriously think that as long as they're wearing masks and washing their hands constantly everything will be OK? All they'll accomplish is creating an additional hotspot somewhere else and infecting everyone along the way.

tin4444

If this was in response to an environmental threat, sure. But the virus moves with people or does the govt seriously think that as long as they're wearing masks and washing their hands constantly everything will be OK? All they'll accomplish is creating an additional hotspot somewhere else and infecting everyone along the way.
Exactly this, some people already infected might be moved and some people remaining behind might be infected.

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
This is fukkin insanity. People have finally lost their minds. People that are in charge but have absolutely no idea of what actually should be done.

These decision makers are rushing around like headless chickens and evacuating informal settlements are the stupidist fukkin thing I've heard of thus far. They'll just take the virus with them FFS.

Even this lockdown is a pointless joke. What exactly is the endgame with this lock down? What happens after 21 days?

We either go straight back to normal day to day activities, like working and trying to save our jobs, companies, the economy...or we get locked down for another 21 days....and another...

And then what? What does the government want to see after the first 21 days to make it decide that all is hunky dory again?

How can it be "safe" after just 21 days? The virus will still be around. People will still be carriers infecting others and not know it. There won't be a vaccine yet...

So, what's the plan/point? And don't tell me that it's to prevent to medical services from being overrun...because then we are looking at a 2 -3 month lock down and that would be the end of our economy.

Between a rock and a hard place? Well then let the unhealthy die and those that don't will be stronger and will keep going.

Kosmik

Honorary Master
:ROFL: and people moaned about my concept of cordon sanitaire, at least people would have their homes and possessions.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Remember when I asked that question about making your property available to accommodate those in need? Only one person answered, but I have been going through possible scenarios and it is an option. Food and shelter, the state is also limited and would rely on the citizens to support the plan.

It has happened during wartimes, and Ramaphosa did declare this virus an enemy. Just saying. I wouldn't be surprised that the evaluation is already happening in the suburbs. These healthcare workers who will be moving about, doing the screening, will also survey.

This is no theory or conspiracy, but the state does seem to have the power to 'mobilise' their populace. The right to live is taking precedence, even if there may be major fallout.

Kosmik

Honorary Master
Maybe not popular but what about all the empty hotels?

Reactions: smi

Kosmik

Honorary Master
Who would be paying? Isn't government already cash strapped?
On this circumstance, would it not be expropiation? Also, if the Govrment pays for the daily cost, the hotels can't make money anyway. And by cost, I mean cost, ie cleaning, water, electricity etc.

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
Remember when I asked that question about making your property available to accommodate those in need? Only one person answered, but I have been going through possible scenarios and it is an option. Food and shelter, the state is also limited and would rely on the citizens to support the plan.

It has happened during wartimes, and Ramaphosa did declare this virus an enemy. Just saying. I wouldn't be surprised that the evaluation is already happening in the suburbs. These healthcare workers who will be moving about, doing the screening, will also survey.

This is no theory or conspiracy, but the state does seem to have the power to 'mobilise' their populace. The right to live is taking precedence, even if there may be major fallout.
Nonsense...simple en klaar.

access

Honorary Master
well.. if im living in a shack and dont have anything and i am offered to live elsewhere for the duration of the macorona dance, while being fed etc., i might consider it. hopefully better conditions just for a few weeks.

IdlePhaedrus

Expert Member
yeah this is not going to happen
If it happens, this is where the riots will start.

This is a brain dead idea.
So these people have a shack in nerens nie, but it's their shack. They have amassed a few items of furniture and maybe a TV, fridge and hotplate. Now they are going to be uprooted and left to wonder if their home will be there and whether it will still be theirs when this is over. How would you feel as an already marginalised person?
Hence there will be riots.

Way, way too late, and stupid to do now. It should never have got to this point in the first instance. And it is stupid to do it now.

I don't think they will evacuate the whole township, think of it this way, Diepsloot, it has RDP houses and a whole lot of backyard shacks, start by removing the backyard dwellers because they are the cause of congestion and the place will look much better, same with many other townships like Zandspruit and Alexandra. It's a workable solution even though it will still have its challenges.
See above.

Good Luck with that
Agreed. Leave it until after this is over.

This is fukkin insanity.
Agreed

access

Honorary Master
Each municipality will make a plan, seems some in the WC are already at advanced stages.

It is also a chance for government to resettle people,
sisulu was going on about "parcels of land" as part of the ewc etc, and being first and starting in the wc. seems like a chance for government yes.

13 state owned 4 private, anyone know where these parcels are located? its almost like a strategic army deployment lol. those areas dont become better they grow bigger and degrade their surrounding, then later require more parcels etc.

HunterNW

Honorary Master
This is fukkin insanity. People have finally lost their minds. People that are in charge but have absolutely no idea of what actually should be done.

These decision makers are rushing around like headless chickens and evacuating informal settlements are the stupidist fukkin thing I've heard of thus far. They'll just take the virus with them FFS.

Even this lockdown is a pointless joke. What exactly is the endgame with this lock down? What happens after 21 days?

We either go straight back to normal day to day activities, like working and trying to save our jobs, companies, the economy...or we get locked down for another 21 days....and another...

And then what? What does the government want to see after the first 21 days to make it decide that all is hunky dory again?

How can it be "safe" after just 21 days? The virus will still be around. People will still be carriers infecting others and not know it. There won't be a vaccine yet...

So, what's the plan/point? And don't tell me that it's to prevent to medical services from being overrun...because then we are looking at a 2 -3 month lock down and that would be the end of our economy.

Between a rock and a hard place? Well then let the unhealthy die and those that don't will be stronger and will keep going.