Mass evacuation of SA townships to stop spread of coronavirus

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Open post to myBB moderators. Is anyone the checking the posts in this thread for validity? Just how much of this is genuine and accurate reporting? Seems to me, that this whole thread is on the edge of being fake news designed to inflame and incite fear.

Last edited:

Eric

Honorary Master
OK, so if I'm not misunderstanding, this is an effort to spread people around a bit - semi-permanently?. Kind of like... we think you should live there and not here scenario?
This is going to get interesting. Perhaps Covid-19 is just the excuse they need to do what they have been wanting to do for a while? I dunno how to take this.
I see Duncan Village in the Eastern Cape is included....

Look, I agree, these informal settlements are crazy, but this government has been promising houses at every election and delivered nothing. Are they just going to say "you're going to die if we don't move you" and people will comply? I mean, deaths in the tens in a population of tens of millions...
Perhaps some people would be happy to move, not sure, but I have my doubts.

Last edited:

Eric

Honorary Master
"Plans include moving 2,000 people from the settlement of Duncan Village in East London, home to as many as 100,000 people. "
Wow... 2% of the people are going to be moved? Who gets to decide who goes and who stays?
Yoh...

ponder

Honorary Master
OK, so if I'm not misunderstanding, this is an effort to spread people around a bit - semi-permanently?. Kind of like... we think you should live there and not here scenario?
This is going to get interesting. Perhaps Covid-19 is just the excuse they need to do what they have been wanting to do for a while? I dunno how to take this.
I see Duncan Village in the Eastern Cape is included....

Look, I agree, these informal settlements are crazy, but this government has been promising houses at every election and delivered nothing. Are they just going to say "you're going to die if we don't move you" and people will comply? I mean, deaths in the tens in a population of tens of millions...
Perhaps some people would be happy to move, not sure, but I have my doubts.
Doesn't matter, the second they move people out others will rush in.

airborne

Honorary Master
This is a brain dead idea.
So these people have a shack in nerens nie, but it's their shack. They have amassed a few items of furniture and maybe a TV, fridge and hotplate. Now they are going to be uprooted and left to wonder if their home will be there and whether it will still be theirs when this is over. How would you feel as an already marginalised person?
Exactly that, shacks may look like sht and be built on the dodgiest piece of land but they are hard fought for. All the possessions and the shack itself will be gone in 60secs if the the shack owner is relocated to emergency shelters.

Norra fok will shack dwellers be leaving their shacks.

wizardofid

Executive Member
Kids in 2080.

Teacher: In 2020 due to over population in informal settlements, a virus and massive relocation program resulted in brutal 5 year long civil war, killing millions. Finally in 2030 a peace accord was signed and the Western cape ceded from the newly unified republic of Zimbabwe.

schumi

Honorary Master
Provinces give Sisulu's mass relocation plan the cold shoulder

Some provincial governments are opposing human settlements minister Lindiwe Sisulu’s plan to move tens of thousands of people from crowded settlements.

Planning and housing experts also warned that money for the moves should be used rather to improve hygiene, and access to water and food.

Sisulu’s spokesperson, McIntosh Polela, said she was talking to civic organisations in the hope of getting communities to agree before presenting her plans to the cabinet.

“She will be working with other government entities, including municipalities, once there is an agreement with the communities.” He said the minister was aware that people in these communities “always resisted” being moved. Discussions are being facilitated by nongovernmental organisations.

“As for the budget, this is a constantly moving target and one cannot put a price on human lives,” he said.

Sisulu has ordered the urgent move of selected communities in Gauteng, the Western Cape and KwaZulu-Natal.

The plan’s details have been left to provincial and local governments. Little is known about how communities have been selected, whether households and families will be split up, how properties will be protected or, once the virus has been contained, if people can to return to their homes.

The plan targeted 29 settlements, five of which are priorities: Stjwetla in Alexandra, Johannesburg, Kennedy Road in Durban, Mooiplaats in Pretoria, Duncan Village in East London and Dunoon in Cape Town.

KwaZulu-Natal human settlements MEC Peggy Nkonyeni said her department was not planning to move anyone from Kennedy Road. “We will be following our programme [of upgrading informal settlements],” she said.

“We have a number of transition camps in KZN. We are very, very much scared [of] establishing other transit camps now because many people have been staying there for more than 10 years and if you ask me how their living conditions are … they are very, very bad. We cannot continue promoting establishment of transit camps in KZN. We are in a process of reducing them and we even agreed that we will demolish them.”
More at : https://www.timeslive.co.za/sunday-...sulus-mass-relocation-plan-the-cold-shoulder/

RedViking

Nord of the South
When you move a big group of people from a poor area, it is not temporary, it becomes permanent. Unless there is a hidden agenda behind it, it will not be a good idea for whoevers land they move to. Rather use the finances to improve the living condition and services. But corruption and theft..... can't have nice things.

Jabulani22

Executive Member
Safe zones........it's us people who carry the virus .......how do these ideas get to high level

Supervan II

Expert Member

Supervan II

Expert Member
I sometimes believe these were done intentionally to reduce their numbers.
Of course, but the fact remains: wherever it is done it would look similar to this. Pointless to condemn it, methinks - else just leave it be and don't move anyone.

schumi

Honorary Master
City of Johannesburg to relocate 1 600 residents from densely populated settlement in Alexandra

The City of Johannesburg is planning to relocate approximately 1 600 South African citizens from the densely populated Setswetla informal settlement in Alexandra. "The Department of Housing decided to come here today to present and engage on the plans that we have for this informal settlement. We are going to be playing our role and we are going to try to deal with over-populated settlements, and Setswetla is one of the informal settlements that we identified,” Housing MMC Mlungisi Mabaso told the media in Setswetla on Tuesday. This comes after daily stats to date have revealed that the densely populated Gauteng is one of the three provinces with the highest number of Covid-19 positive cases. In addition, it comes amid the need to ensure that families living in densely inhabited informal settlements, are given shelter while being able to practice physical distancing.

More at : https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/...ly-populated-settlement-in-alexandra-20200505